It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KK Detours Backbone Winch Plate How-To
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:25 am 
LOST Addict

Hope this helps everybody. I forgot to take a few pics here and there but i believe my instructions are easy enough to follow. If anyone ever has questions feel free to post up or hit me up in a PM.

Purchase a Detours Backbone here... http://www.detoursusa.com/kjbackbone.php
Their install is here... http://www.detoursusa.com/kjbackbone_install.php

1: Start with painting your Backbone. I used a rattle can Duplicolor Truck bed Coating. Ive also used this on my sliders and rear diff cover. Using this there is no primer or prep work really required except for a good cleaning.

2: Remove the front bumper using Diggers post... viewtopic.php?t=41683&highlight=
NOTE: If you have the factory installed radiator skid plate it will need to be removed. If you want to reuse it you will need to find a way to modify the skid.

3: Remove the crash caps. Detours says cut 2 7/8" up from the bottom of the front cross member, you could do this also. I just bent the top of the opening up with a pry bar enough to gain the clearance needed to install the L shaped mounting brackets.

4: Insert your first mounting bracket into the opening. Align the bolt holes up on the bottom and hold the bottom plate in place. If necessary you could hold it in place with the bolts. Mark where you need the third hole drilled. My hole was right next to the factory hole for the radiator skid plate nutzert.

5: Remove the brackets to drill the holes. Start with the ones you just marked with a 1/2" drill bit. Then, through the existing hole on the front of the cross member drill the last two holes. With a 1/2" drill bit and as level and straight as possible drill through the backside of the cross member. Making sure that your drill bit isnt too long and going to go through your A/C condenser. Finish by inserting the spacer into the hole.

6: Reinstall the mounting brackets. Install the bottom three bolts loosely. The bolts only need to be tightened down enough to just hold in place. This will make it easier to wiggle all the other bolt holes into place while installing the other bolts.

7: Then the small circular spacer needs to be slid into place. It goes between the bracket and the outside of the opening. The bolt will need to be slid in from the hole on the side from the back side of the cross member. Remember leave loose.

8: This next portion would be rather convenient to have a buddy hold the winch plate in place. Holding the plate in place start by inserting the long bolts through the plate, mounting brackets and through to the backside of the cross member. (Those spacers were still in the holes right?) Squeeze your hand up between the back of the cross member and put your square plate on the back and hold it in place with nut. Still leaving all these loose.

9: Install the rest of the bolts on the front of the plate into the mounting brackets.

10: On the bottom of your cross member install the inserts and secure it to the plate.

11: Now that you have everything in place, go around and start tightening them all down. I started with the bolts on the L mounting brackets, bottom bolts, long bolts and finished up with all the bolts on the front. Detours recommends torquing everything down to 45ft/lbs.

12: Now the fun part, cutting the bumper. Remember its easier to cut a little at a time then to add pieces of plastic back on. Make sure all of your measurements are centered onto the bumper. I dont have any pictures of the inside cuts but its easy to do when you got the bumper off and you're looking at it. Im going off memory here but you can use your own measurements to be sure. I cut the inside leaving as much of the mounting clips/tabs in place as I could. Pretty much any of the bulky pieces in the middle are coming out. The center needs to be cut about 33 1/2" across to make room for the entire Detours Backbone behind it. OK so the backside of the bumper is gone, big deal, now onto what needs to look pretty. From the front side the opening will be 24 1/4 across at the farthest point. 3" from the highest line from the opening in the bumper are where the slots for the tow points should be cut. These are 3/4" wide. On the inside of these tow points measure up 5" from the line, this should be flush with the bottom of the winch plate. Cut from the bottom of the tow point up 5 1/2".
Dont look at how terrible my cuts were, just go off my measurements. :oops:

13: Once you got it all trimmed up reinstall the bumper and admire your work. To clean up the look of your cuts you can purchase some of the door molding trim and fit it around the opening. Make sure and touch up any paint flaws made during install.

14: Install your winch, tow shackles and fairlead and your Detours Backbone Winch Plate is ready for use.

UPDATE!! The mopar radiator skid will fit with minor modification. All that needs to be done is to elongate the two mounting holes at the top and i also bent the two sides inward a hair from the top with my hi-lift jack. Use the hardware that comes in the Backbone kit. Pic to come.

You can see here all i did was drill a hole next to the existing hole. you will need to do this for both sides. Yes its dirty and yes thats my foot. :lol:

Last edited by DirtyKK on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: KK Detours Backbone Winch Plate How-To
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Great write up!!!!!!!!!

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks Dig.

Ill hopefully get my radiator skid mounted and post pics of how to get it to fit with the Detours Backbone.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well done on the write up. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I know they are a lot of work.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:13 pm 
LOST Member

Looks good! Ill be ordering the winch mount and same winch soon! I hope it will help me being that im 2wd! :twisted:

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see some pics of it in action.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good job Dirty. Thanks for contributing to the KK "How-To" section.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excellent write up & install DirtyKK!
It should be noted, the center section of the upper top portion should be left 'long'.....this will help
fill the void under the winch plate. (I've only recently learned this concerning KK installs)

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Detour wrote:
Excellent write up & install DirtyKK!
It should be noted, the center section of the upper top portion should be left 'long'.....this will help
fill the void under the winch plate. (I've only recently learned this concerning KK installs)

Mark

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the cut on the bumper skin on the bottom of the winch plate? If so I know I cut mine wrong which is why I tried giving measurements to cut from...

Btw I have my rad skid installed and ill get a pic updated for you guys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

No, you did nothing wrong......
It has recently been brought to my attention, if you leave the center section, between the recovery points long, it acts as a filler.......(I'm talking the upper portion of the stock bumper plastic)
I think you did a fine job.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 am 
LOST Junkie

The only thing I don't like about these is that the winch becomes your new bumper. In the event of any kind of collision involving your front end, I would be worried about what might happen.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Bump for Texasrugby911 :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm 
LOST Member

DirtyKK wrote:
Bump for Texasrugby911 :JEEPIN:

I will be doing my install Saturday. Paint is tomorrow and Saturday night will be breaking her inn and showing her off! Prett excited. Pic to follow. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow, that is a really confusing "How to" instruction, especially the cutting of the bumper, and i owned a body shop for several years lol...if you make a video or create a clearer "How to" with pictures for each step, then i would buy a couple of your winch mounts as i have several jeeps...thanks, this looks like a great product.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SD961960@gmail.com wrote:
Wow, that is a really confusing "How to" instruction, especially the cutting of the bumper, and i owned a body shop for several years lol...if you make a video or create a clearer "How to" with pictures for each step, then i would buy a couple of your winch mounts as i have several jeeps...thanks, this looks like a great product.

It's really not that bad. It actually took longer to trim my bumper than it took to install the backbone. :D
They're well worth the money. You'll need an oscillating cutter, the job is much easier with that instead of a grinder with a cut off wheel. I used a Bosch tool. Stay away from the harbor freight one, I returned the one I bought and spent the extra cash on the Bosch. There'll be a lot of trimming. Take small cuts and work your way towards your lines. It'll come with a sticker that lays on top of the plastic. It's for a KJ but it's close. They're also a very good start for a steel bumper.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
SD961960@gmail.com wrote:

It's really not that bad. It actually took longer to trim my bumper than it took to install the backbone. :D
They're well worth the money. You'll need an oscillating cutter, the job is much easier with that instead of a grinder with a cut off wheel. I used a Bosch tool. Stay away from the harbor freight one, I returned the one I bought and spent the extra cash on the Bosch. There'll be a lot of trimming. Take small cuts and work your way towards your lines. It'll come with a sticker that lays on top of the plastic. It's for a KJ but it's close. They're also a very good start for a steel bumper.

Thank you for the reply Ted, so the kit does come with a template to overlay the plastic bumper to cut out? Does the kit also come with instructions?
And when you say oscillating cutter, do you mean a small reciprocating handsaw? Also one more question if I may, on this forum there is a guy who created a steel winch bumper for the KK, he goes by the handle MntLuvr, and that thing looks absolutely incredible, he said that he was going to go into production with it last year, I wonder if anyone knows if it's ready and on the market?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldn't count on it. He hasn't even replied to that thread in a year or so. He's completely ready as far as r&d goes and there are three in existence but until he has time to devote to the production and there is enough people that REALLY want to spend the thousand dollars or more then I think it's a bust. If you talk to mark at Detoures, he could fab a one off bumper for you using the backbone as a starting point. It'll probably take a few weeks or so.
The directions are very straight forward for the install. Drill a couple holes, loosely bolt it in, tighten and torque the bolts. Takes about two hours being carefull and going slow. The bumper will take about 3 or 4 hours. There's a lot of test fitting and small cuts.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Does this install require removing the front tow hooks? I was looking through the pictures and it looks like the bracket may interfere with the hooks. I may also be confused by the pictures as well. LOL Thanks for the write up.

Future plans: Steps, roof rack, and some sort of bumper modification for a winch mount.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

eoerikson3 wrote:
Does this install require removing the front tow hooks? I was looking through the pictures and it looks like the bracket may interfere with the hooks. I may also be confused by the pictures as well. LOL Thanks for the write up.

You will lose your tow hooks but you will gain two shackle mounts. One on either side of the winch and below the mounting plate.
I didn't have any shackles installed in these pics but the mounting holes are visible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
eoerikson3 wrote:

You will lose your tow hooks but you will gain two shackle mounts. One on either side of the winch and below the mounting plate.
I didn't have any shackles installed in these pics but the mounting holes are visible.

Thanks for the reply and info. This may end up being what I do for mine.

Future plans: Steps, roof rack, and some sort of bumper modification for a winch mount.