It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trouble with front brakes sticking
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 am 
LOST Newbie

has happened a couple times over the last six months where the front brakes will stick and heat up. The first time it happened i was able to release the pressure by releasing the bleeder on the caliper. Happened again yesterday. I tried to release the pressure at the master but this only release the brake slightly. I then loosened the lines that come OUT of the HCU and this released the brake(s). Does this tell me that the problem I'm having is at the HCU? The calpipers and pins have always moved well so it's not mechanical at the caliper. Thanks for any feed back.

Post subject: Re: trouble with front brakes sticking
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

This is an interesting topic since brakes are one of the biggest issues with KJs (and Jeeps in general). Looking for thoughts here too...

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is quite strange, I think it has been happening with mine more then just the 2 times that i have caught with the jack under it. Fuel mileage has suffered but i don't seemed to be wearing thru front pads real fast. I think they will lock up from time to time but then also release themselves somehow. I was thinking it was the master cylinder and thinking about shimming it out a little but when i wasn't able to relieve the pressure with the fittings at the master, i don't know if it's the master or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bad Calipers is somewhat common. Sometimes they are intermittent before locking up. I had the left rear go bad on my 05 CRD. I was still under warranty but they had nerve enough to charge me to replace the brake fluid since it had been overheated as a result of the caliper issue. My 2002 gasser had a left front go bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I replaced one original caliper after only 40k, - Right Rear stuck. I did maint on it, but it stuck again and destroyed the pads and rotor. Haven't had a problem since I replaced it. Did notice that they didn't come from the factory with much lub.