It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Johnny Park Road (FR 118) Solo Trail Run
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My girlfriend and I spent a few days up at Estes Park in Colorado and went wheeling on one day. Below is our account from our run on May 8, 2006. I have added detailed notes and reference maps.

John
];')

As requested here is a wide view of the area showing the trail in reference to Estes Park, Boulder and Longmont for orientation purposes.

Topo Map (100k) with GPS marked trail and elevation logs. The map was made by running TOPO! on my laptop with a GPS card as we made the run and set to automatically mark where I was every 200 ft. The tracking feature worked better than I thought. You will note on the topo map near the "A" in "National" that the trail from the map goes to the right while my trail marked in red goes to the left. The part to the right was blocked off by crossbuck fences and marked with no trespassing signs. You can actually see where I first went to the right to discover the blockage...The pointy area near the "A". I also have Aerial photos of this run. If anyone wants I can send them files of all my info in this run. I did NOT save all the GPS data. Also note that the elevation profile is reversed with respect to the direction of travel on the trail...for some reason there is no 'reverse' feature on the elevation profile tool...just pay attention to the START and FINISH labels.

Click on link to open main map. Not sure why it won't open on its own.

Driver View of first and most difficult obstacle at mile 0.7.

Wide angle view of upper and lower sections of first obstacle. I took the line on the right side of the lower section

Lower section of first obstacle. Took the line on the right keeping my tires on the high spots on either side of the line.

Close-up of lower section of first obstacle and far view of upper section of first obstacle.

Close-up of upper section of first obstacle. I took the line on the left which is very easy until you reach the large rock you can see at the top...I had a bit of slippage there.

View looking down first obstacle showing drive-around on left. Probably should not use drive-around...Tread Lightly etc...On another note. I did not realize that the drive-around was there until we came back to photograph the first obstacle. Regardless...I don't think it should be used as the main one is easy enough and will not cause undue damage to the trail.

Typical obstacle seen on trail. There are a dozen or so of this class (maybe more). There are also some minor rutted areas but nothing that challenging.

Small mud pit at mile 2.7.

View southeast toward Bulton Rock Resevoir.

View west toward Longs Peak.

View overlooking Big Elk Park/Meadow to the north.

Poser shot of me/KJ/lost T-shirt. ;)

There is a second rock obstacle (mile 0.9) nearly as large as the first one in these photos though it is not as difficult. The second major obstacle is probably the third most challenging. There is also a third major obstacle (mile 1.3) that is about 1/2 as large as the first two and nearly as difficult as this first one. There are alo a few smaller rock obstacles on the downward side that were very easy due to the direction of travel. They would be more of a challeng if one was travelling up them but not as challenging as the three on the way up. (I will add mile posts for these obstacles later). I only got photos of the First major obstacle as in my excitement I took no photos of the major obstacles during the run. We came back to photograph the first obstacle on our way home as it was right at the beginning of the challenging parts.

Lastly below is a list of the notes we took while on the trail with any important information or points of interest. Please
note that all mileages were done on 245/75 R16 tires with a non-corrected speedometer. Innaccuracies should be minimal though.

Mile 0.0-FR 118 diverges to the left from CR 47.
Mile 0.5-Johnny Park Road proper begins at FS gate (open 5/8/2006).
Mile 0.7-First and most difficult rock obstacle.
Mile 0.8-Second opened gate.
Mile 0.9-Second major rock obstacle (3rd most difficult).
Mile 1.3-Large rock obstacle (2nd most difficult).
Mile 1.5-Small obstacle.
Mile 1.6-Small obstacle.
Mile 1.8-1.9Small obstacle and steep grade.
Mile 2.0-Nice view/overlook on left.
Mile 2.1-Easy area of rocky obstacles.
Mile 2.7-Small mud pit followed by another open gate.
Mile 2.8-Area with several good camping sites and side pullouts. Also place where 'old' trail blocked off. Took left fork to continue on.
Mile 3.1-Small obstacle that continues for a stretch.
Mile 3.3-Cobble-size rocks/obstacles.
Mile 3.5-Minor obstacle. Rocks large but only minor obstructions.
Mile 3.8-Nice views of Longs Peak and RMNP.
Mile 4.2-Nice view of Big Elk Meadow on right.
Mile 4.5-Good camping spots.
Mile 5.3-Trail ends at open gate.
Mile 9.3-Following CR 82 for this distance should bring you to HWY 7. Right turn here brings you back to Estes Park
which is about 9 additional miles up HWY 7.

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Last edited by Kugellager on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

looking great, how far would you say the drive to the trailhead is from say...boulder...and is it something i could do with my 2.5in. setup...no skids...?

Tint
Rusty's 2.5" Suspension
245/75/16 BFG AT KO's
16x8 Big Hoss XD Series Rims
Limited Edition Wheel Cover
Coleman Roof Rack
3-D cell maglite and mount
Mopar Cross Rails
Ebay seat covers with jeep embroidery.
K&N air filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:15 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Looks like a fun little trail. Can you give a good reference point for those of us that don't know where you are talking about? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:02 am 
LOST Member

take 36 from lyons up to pinewood springs. right after pinewood springs make a left on cr47. the trail head is down cr47 about 3 miles. the road splits, go left

a stock libby could do the trail and since the obstacles are pretty low, not having skids shouldnt be a problem

here is more info...
http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=70

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I promise I will write a detailed description soon...Just been busy catching up with work since I have been back.

But some quick answers for now. Johnny Park Road is about 30 miles northwest of Boulder on HWY 36 and about 10 miles southeast of Estes Park on HWY 36. CR 47 is located between mile markers 10 and 11 on HWY 36. Also see page 29 (I think) of the Colorado Gazetteer.

I don't fully agree with 4x4trails assessment of the trail. While I do agree that it could be done in a stock Liberty 4x4 I'm pretty darn sure there would be lots of scraping and slipping on the rocks. The most difficult rock obstacles, such as the one pictured, are comparable to those at Slaughter House Gulch which I ran with lost last October. My vehicle was bone stock at the time and I was scraping the skids and lower a-arms constantly. This run on Johnny Park Road was very different. As you know I now have the Frankenlift, Boulder Bars and GY MT/R's. I did not scrape one thing this time...bounced around a lot but did not hit a thing...Almost no slippage on the rocks either (Note:I did not air down)...Those MT/R's really made a difference.

I would recommend you have skids if you are running it w/o lift as I'm pretty certain there would be some scraping. I ran the trail from east to west instead of west to east as in the other descriptions. I believe it made it much more fun and a bit more challenging as I was going up hill on the most difficult sections. Definitely would be a different beast in rain or snow. The trail is very easy to find from the east. From the West there are all sorts of side roads and markings on them is not the best.

John
];')

Last edited by Kugellager on Sat May 13, 2006 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:28 am 

Thanks for the write up! BTW, the KJ is looking great! Like those wheels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Added Details and reference map.

John
];')

Post subject: Re: Johnny Park Road (FR 118) Solo Trail Run
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I liked your car dude. I think that You have passion that gone for long journey. I have referred your map. I wish that I will also go for good journey with my friends as well as soon. Car is played a vital role in the long journey. I hope that My car would be run so far as my thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

At first I was like..... "no way dude... these must be old pics, front range guys don't wheel anymore..." then I realized the dude who called a Jeep a "car" was commenting on a 4 yr old post. :ROTFL:

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's ok, I saw the header and went "...oh cool...someone did Johnny Park Road"

Then I read it...

:BINGO:

John
];')