It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Late July/Early August Vacation & Wheelin' Trip in Color
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

2mopar_diesels wrote:
I'm just wondering though, is there any dispersed pull-outs along CR162 before you get to St. Elmo? Also, what about campfires?........Whats the rules on that around there right now and into the time when I'm there?

The only road is the Hancock turn off is about 1/4 mile before you get to St. Elmo. It is on the left. You can go straight on that road on up the railroad grade, or turn a sharp left and head up to the lake. I ski there in winter. We had 1 1/2 inch of rain here last night, and snow above 13,000 feet. Fires are a concern, but you can have them. Just be careful.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

2mopar_diesels wrote:
SPC657 wrote:
I would like to go if it is Chinwall. Been trying to get up there all summer. Let me know if you want another tag along.

:CAMPING:

Absolutely!!! I hate doing this stuff alone with nobody to share it with.........my wife now can't go, cause the college changed the starting date, and she starts nursing school the 2nd of Aug instead of the 9th. Let me know when and where you wanna meet up and I'll be there!!!

I'm leaving here in the morning on the 25th, and will be in Cotopaxi, CO the following afternoon on the 26th. Plan to drive through and explore the Arkansas Hills east of Salida/Buena Vista and find a camping spot for that evening. Then making my way down into Nathrop the next morning on the 27th. But, if having company along for the ride, those plans are flexible and can be changed to accommodate.

There is a campground in Nathrop on Chalk Creek, but I'd head west on up towards St. Elmo. Less tree hugging touristas. Once you get to Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, you could take the right turn up the steep hill and go on up the Mt. Princeton trail. Nothing hard, but you do get up to around 12000 feet with great views. Neat cabin at the top too. You can spend the night there for free.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:32 pm 
LOST Member

Yeh, that's probably where we will stay at, is up past St. Elmo in Tincup Basin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Its almost that time, was just making sure that all is still a go for the 27th. :BANANA:

:CAMPING:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm 
LOST Member

Absolutely!!! Where you wanting to meet up at? We'll already be set up someplace around St. Elmo, but not exactly sure where, until we get there and find a good spot. Got the CRD in the shop right now, getting a few issues worked out just to make sure that its ready for this trip!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI - I noticed someone mentioned China Wall. This is a very different trail and in a different area from Chinaman Gulch.

China Wall is easy in comparison. Chinaman Gulch is a bit more tricky but fun as well.

They are also about an hour away from each other.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:48 pm 
LOST Member

Just got back, and had a great time, even though I was stuck with AWD/2lo the whole time, cause the shop didn't get the t-case bugs worked out in time b4 we left. Will post pics soon. We of course didn't even try Grizzly Lake or Chinaman Gulch.