It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I started mine this morning their was frost on the window(don't know the temp for sure at the time) and it kicked on right after I started it. My Viscous heater runs alot at cold start. It warms up so fast, I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are you using the temp gauge for your reference of "heating up"? If not perhaps you should find another way to meassure the temp. It could be the gauge or the sender. Those might be easier and cheaper to fix and might have been more likely to fail when it turned turtle.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:34 am 
LOST Addict

Pictars from the install:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

The obvious question: why is the thermostat and housing an integrated part? Whatever happened to the little poppet style thermostats that you just replaced under the coolant hose inlet? IMO, that part is overpriced by about $100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

oz_crd wrote:
The obvious question: why is the thermostat and housing an integrated part? Whatever happened to the little poppet style thermostats that you just replaced under the coolant hose inlet? IMO, that part is overpriced by about $100.

Agreed.

I almost wonder if it would be possible to cut off the top part of the housing install a generic thermostat, and then install one of those SBC thermostat housing outlet piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

Considering I do normal maintenance myself, and I installed the lift myself, how hard do you think is it to replace that thermostat? On a scale from 1-10.

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This should go in the CRD Tech Section eventually. Nice write up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
I almost wonder if it would be possible to cut off the top part of the housing install a generic thermostat, and then install one of those SBC thermostat housing outlet piece.

Looking at the piece, it looks like they could have easily designed a 2 piece housing that would come apart and just let you replace the actual thermostat. I would really like to see what is inside that housing if you cut it apart. I found some thermostat housing from Jegs for way less that the cost of the OEM part. Although, I could just see my service manager having a meltdown if I brought the CRD in for service with more "ulterior parts installed in the engine compartment." (His words, not mine.) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good job - show'n'tell rules!!! Did it heal the problem?

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Endurance wrote:
Considering I do normal maintenance myself, and I installed the lift myself, how hard do you think is it to replace that thermostat? On a scale from 1-10.

From a "normal" maintaince perspective, maybe 7. From my perspective about many things automotive, 3.

If your just used to oil changes and maybe replacing a CAC hose, then this is definitely a step above those, if your used to engine pulls and the like this is annoying but mostly a matter of time.

oz_crd wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Looking at the piece, it looks like they could have easily designed a 2 piece housing that would come apart and just let you replace the actual thermostat. I would really like to see what is inside that housing if you cut it apart. I found some thermostat housing from Jegs for way less that the cost of the OEM part. Although, I could just see my service manager having a meltdown if I brought the CRD in for service with more "ulterior parts installed in the engine compartment." (His words, not mine.) :roll:

Yes it seems that way, future saw action may reveal a better solution.

gmctd wrote:
Good job - show'n'tell rules!!! Did it heal the problem?

Yes it did, and the viscious heater doesnt really do much when the thermostat isnt working, just barely makes the air feel above ambient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:20 am 
LOST Addict

Here are the pics of the old unit:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sir Sam wrote:
(SNIP) the viscious heater doesnt really do much when the thermostat isnt working, just barely makes the air feel above ambient.

Hmmm...elsewhere I've seen others post that their viscous heater makes heat come out almost instantly. My experience is that the CRD warms up faster than I'd expect from a diesel, but I can honestly say that I've never had instant heat in the cabin even in the relatively mild PNW.

Could it be that my thermostat has never worked right? My engine seems to reach and maintain just below the mid-mark on the thermostat within about 15 minutes of driving even on cold days, which to me sounds like a working thermostat.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

If you are using the ORM then the engine will take longer to warm up. EGR not working so engine coolant is not being used to cool exhaust gas, so takes longer to warm up.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject: Re: CRD Thermostat Replacement:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey Lads.... Does anyone have some links to where one can order one of these little buggers from, been seaching but cant find a supplier that lists one.

Thanks for the help..

Oh and Top write up Sir Sam.

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:06 am 
LOST Member

You dug deep to find this post. Somebody posted the part numbers for stat and gasket last week. Mine should arrive tomorrow and it's coming from these guys:

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214583&chapter=&Sectionids=8,0&groupid=61868&subgroupid=0&componentid=0&make=17&model=Liberty&year=2005&graphicID=T043910&callout=5&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

Dam, that is one long URL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:01 am 
LOST Addict

Am sure Mr Mopar knows more than me for sure but I believe this was discussed last winter. what I remember is that the VH runs to raise the coolant temp more quickly to provide heat for the cabin faster. I thought there was something that stopped it from engaging if the outside temp was above a set point where heating was not normally called for.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm 
LOST Addict

TJ2 wrote:
You dug deep to find this post. Somebody posted the part numbers for stat and gasket last week. Mine should arrive tomorrow and it's coming from these guys:

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214583&chapter=&Sectionids=8,0&groupid=61868&subgroupid=0&componentid=0&make=17&model=Liberty&year=2005&graphicID=T043910&callout=5&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

Beautiful, Thanks Champion.Can anyone confirm will this fit the older 2.5lt CRD ???? Did they use the same part on both the 2.5 and the 2.8??????

And

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 am 
LOST Addict

cmohr wrote:
TJ2 wrote:

Beautiful, Thanks Champion.Can anyone confirm will this fit the older 2.5lt CRD ???? Did they use the same part on both the 2.5 and the 2.8??????

Page 87 of 609 in the 2004 KJ parts fiche shows the same part number for the 2.5 and the 2.8(manual and auto respectively), part number:
05072705AB
(this is also the part number for the 2003 KJ)

Page 98 of 550 in the 2005 KJ parts fiche shows a single part number(since the manual and auto came with the 2.8 in 05+) which is different than the 04 part number.
05142601AA

Going out to the garage now to see if the 2004 T-stat looks any different than the 2005..................
EDIT: Back from garage, 2004 T-stat is different than the 2005.

See the outlet on the right/lower of the T-stat? The aluminum one not the plastic:

In this picture you can see the 04 t-stat, see how the lower hose is much larger? thats the only difference I can see, if you could rig an adapter up then you could use a 2005+

You will probably need to click the second picture to see the full size detail of how the hose is larger.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:58 am 
LOST Addict

That seems quite a bit larger????? Thanks Matey, I'll get in and have a look at mine later today and see whats I's cans sees. From what I understand.... the newer S-tat has the smaller fitting????

I was confussed at first as I had found all the part numbers as you said they are different. Seems strange that nobody carries the old part ?????

I might check with a VM supplier I heard of in the UK, he may be able to shed some light as well.

Thanks again..I loves the internets :BANANA:

cmohr

And

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:32 am 
LOST Addict

cmohr wrote:
That seems quite a bit larger????? Thanks Matey, I'll get in and have a look at mine later today and see whats I's cans sees. From what I understand.... the newer S-tat has the smaller fitting????

I was confussed at first as I had found all the part numbers as you said they are different. Seems strange that nobody carries the old part ?????

I might check with a VM supplier I heard of in the UK, he may be able to shed some light as well.

Thanks again..I loves the internets :BANANA:

cmohr

Yes, the newer one has the smaller lower fitting.

The reason you will not find the older part carried here in the US is that the 2002-2004 CRD's were never sold here. It may be possibly to order the export part through a dealer here in the US with the part number. If you wish to pursue this route contact me and we can work out the details.