It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Tire Carrier
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:51 pm 
LOST Member

Here is the tire carrier that I built last weekend. One suggestion if you are going to do this, and I will add this to mine later... Where the wheel mounts I plan on adding a 2" receiver hitch where it mounts to the tire carrier. Then the part where the wheel mounts will be 2" square stock with various holes at different spots. Then I can adjust how far out the tire is from the carrier. This allows for you to adjust to different size tires. It also allows you to mount the tire to the plate and then pick the whole thing up and slide it into the receiver. Lastly, It will allow you to replace the tire with a receiver mounted basket or bike carrier. I could probably adjust it out about 2 inches and it would let me open the rear window without opening the carrier. Gives you tons of flexibility.
(apologize for the dust and dirt on it. Live on a gravel road... for a few more weeks.)

This is the latch. It is just a bolt with a T-handle welded on it. It goes through a spacer in the carrier and threads into a block welded inside. The washer welded to the carrier is a holder to put the pin in when you open the door to keep from losing it. I've found that if you don't have somewhere to place things like that you lose it.

Notice that the lines of the carrier follow the bends in the bumper and it mounts flush into the bumper when shut. I love that. I still have some cleaning up to do and a few areas to weld. I may try to seal it air tight and see how much air I can put in it...

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject: Re: New Tire Carrier
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GOOD JOB!!! I really like this mod on your bumper. I like that it gives you some options and flexibility!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I don't have the receiver mod built into it yet. I'll post up more pics once I do that. I'll cut the bar it welds to all the way through. So you could "theoretically" put the 2X2" bar all the way through the receiver and up to the rear door. I'll weld a stop in to keep you from sliding it in that far. I thought about putting a hinge on it so that the tire could be tilted down a little (after you mount it to the carrier) to allow the rear window to open without opening the carrier. But I think the receiver hitch idea is better.

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:50 pm 
LOST Member

Great job. All your fab work looks really great. I've always wanted to try welding but thought it would take too long to learn to do something that didn't look like a rookie did it.

1999 Wrangler Sahara
2" Teraflex lift with flexarms, ARB air lockers Front/Rear, Skid Plates, BFG 31x10.50 ATKOs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 am 
LOST Addict

Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Very nice :pepper:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 am 
LOST Addict

SWEET

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 am 
LOST Member

This was my first metal fab project (the bumpers). My advice - get a good MIG welder and a grinder and you'll be fine. Just mock everything up with foamboard and use it to mark off the pieces when you go to cut them. Plasma cutter helps, but there are other ways to do that too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice job on the bumpers and the tire carrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 pm 
LOST Addict

:pepper:
Looks good!

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.