It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GEORGIA MEET AND GREET
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Colin (Cobolt-60) has suggested a m&g July 31/32 for the Georgia crowd, and any others that can make it. We can work on vehicles in my two-car garage, or on the gravel drive outside here near Athens, GA. Remember, this is Georgia in July, and it will probably be hot and there may be thunder showers, but at least there'll be the enclosed garage with a concrete floor. This can happen after July 32 on into August or September. The object is to socialize, modify Jeeps and get ready for ECS-2010. Ya'll think about it and let Colin or I know as soon as you can.
John

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

Post subject: Re: GEORGIA MEET AND GREET
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll be there... :)

What other reason does anybody else need to come??? :lol:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm interested. I'm hoping to get a lift and/or rock rails. before ECS. Hopefully my new front recovery platform will be done and y'all can critique.

This is all with the understanding that y'all won't egg the jeep when you see my GT plates :)

Assuming weekend dates, my only definite conflict is on 8/21

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

I could be down!

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
I'm interested. I'm hoping to get a lift and/or rock rails. before ECS. Hopefully my new front recovery platform will be done and y'all can critique.

what type of front recovery platform are you getting?

dgeist wrote:
This is all with the understanding that y'all won't egg the jeep when you see my GT plates :)

No problem. I wouldn't waste a good egg on a Techy, anyway. BUT...you just may be verbally abused. :jester:

dgeist wrote:
Assuming weekend dates, my only definite conflict is on 8/21

Dan

Come when you can. Just give us enough notice to hide the booze..er..get ready. :ROTFL:

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jhblackwell wrote:
dgeist wrote:

what type of front recovery platform are you getting?

I'm building it in a welding class I'm taking and it's reminiscent of a hitch receiver frame but with two female sockets, one under each tow-hook knockout. The idea is to make something that'll support a removable winch frame later with a higher rating (and more lateral stability) than normal 2" receiver winch carriers have.
jhblackwell wrote:
dgeist wrote:

No problem. I wouldn't waste a good egg on a Techy, anyway. BUT...you just may be verbally abused. :jester:

Yes, fair enough. I know that rain on shine, win or loose dawgs always have to talk the talk:)

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

dgeist wrote:
I'm building it in a welding class I'm taking and it's reminiscent of a hitch receiver frame but with two female sockets, one under each tow-hook knockout. The idea is to make something that'll support a removable winch frame later with a higher rating (and more lateral stability) than normal 2" receiver winch carriers have.

Sounds like a very good idea. Especially if you are going to end up adding additional weight to the Oil Burner that you drive. Better to have a really solid mounting surface for the winch.

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Sounds like a very good idea. Especially if you are going to end up adding additional weight to the Oil Burner that you drive. Better to have a really solid mounting surface for the winch.

Thanks. The intent is to have a pair of stock receiver tubes that can be used for normal stuff when not offroad, but when in "winch mode" have an extra tight-tolerance bolt vertically through the tube and winch frame to keep things from getting sloppy as well as a brace in the center that extends back to a 2-1/2 square crossmember that bolts straight into it to really keep things from moving.

Mounting the winch itself will be the easy part (trim a generic winch plate and weld it to a little frame that extends down to the knockout tubes, etc). I doubt I'll have that part in order for ECS, but I should have two nice points with shackles that won't rip my bumper off if they pop off or get yanked around.

Design inspiration:
http://kj.polter.net/pics/hitch/2.html

Construction inspiration:
http://kj.polter.net/pics/hitch/27.html

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
I should have two nice points with shackles that won't rip my bumper off if they pop off or get yanked around.
Dan

If Aaron spots for you again you shouldn't have to worry about getting "yanked around", he's the best. :2cents:
John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

jhblackwell wrote:
If Aaron spots for you again you shouldn't have to worry about getting "yanked around", he's the best. :2cents:
John

Agreed. Or Scott. Or Will. Or Moose (who neither of you have run with yet). All Pros.

dgeist wrote:
Thanks. The intent is to have a pair of stock receiver tubes that can be used for normal stuff when not offroad, but when in "winch mode" have an extra tight-tolerance bolt vertically through the tube and winch frame to keep things from getting sloppy as well as a brace in the center that extends back to a 2-1/2 square crossmember that bolts straight into it to really keep things from moving.

Mounting the winch itself will be the easy part (trim a generic winch plate and weld it to a little frame that extends down to the knockout tubes, etc). I doubt I'll have that part in order for ECS, but I should have two nice points with shackles that won't rip my bumper off if they pop off or get yanked around.

Oh, I totally got where you were going with this. Mine is the "last" hitch that Landy produced in his special run (25?) that he did of the copy of the Drawtite. I like your idea because you can do things like put two receiver mounted sitting platforms for you and the boy to go fishing when he gets a little older. :D

The font end on the 02-04 is different than yours (05-07) and I see that you have solved the height drop problem because of the different bumper in your design.

I have some of the plastic pop-rivets, which are available for order from NAPA (I'll find you the part#) much cheaper than from the dealer, and I have the rivet-set tool making it easier to put them in (much tighter that way than doing it with a pair of pliers) you can borrow too when you get around to taking the bumper off to mount your creation.

Here are a few of the other cool receiver hitch mounted accessories I have been looking at myself:

http://www.hitchcorner.com/trailer-hitc ... sories.htm

http://hitches4less.com/bike-racks.html

http://hitches4less.com/hitch-mounted-c ... ories.html

Somewhere I remember seeing one that allowed for the mounting of a spare tire up from too.

~Sigh~ Sucks to be a poor college student again... :lol:

One of the advantages of having a dual front mount is that you can easily modify the mounts to turn the CRD into a Toad if you ever wanted to pull it behind a Winnebago.

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:29 pm 
LOST Addict

So who is coming? And what time are we supposed to be there, John? And what are we drinkin'? :wink:

I just turned in the last of my assignments for them summer session and now have the weekends free until August 16th and lookin' to get some grease under my fingernails. :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
So who is coming? And what time are we supposed to be there, John? And what are we drinkin'? :wink: :D

You tell me. I'll be here all weekend. I've installed the Backbone and winch and all I need to do is re-install the Pilot fog lights. I still have the compressor, air tools, etc. and can help whomever do whatever. I haven't heard from anyone else, if you haven't. It looks like it will just be us. Scott and Sarah will be coming in from Paris Sunday evening and will be picked up by Sarahs mother, so no conflict there. Call before you head this way in case I've gone to get a part or tool.

"What are we drinkin'?" Well...I've got some Killians and Corona in the garage fridge. The limes are in the house, along with the wine and margaritta mix. If that doesn't 'float your boat' then bring what you want. It's going to be hot this weekend and I'll probably be drinking good ol' water (killer, double filtered well water) until finished. Let me know.
John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I was saying more along the lines of what you want me to bring in the way of beer or a bottle or what to grill out, etc.? :)

What time is good in the morning on Saturday (before it gets too hot)?

Or does Sunday work better?

And what to bring Betty for being so patient. :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
I was saying more along the lines of what you want me to bring in the way of beer or a bottle or what to grill out, etc.? :)

Bring whatever you want if you're not into Killians of Corona. Our grill is on the south side of the house and it gets hot as hell. Maybe we should consider getting a pizza delivered.

Cobolt-60 wrote:
What time is good in the morning on Saturday (before it gets too hot)?
Or does Sunday work better?

Anytime after 9:00a.m. would be good. Aim for 10:00a.m. either day. That way I can sleep late and still have time for a cup of coffee.

Cobolt-60 wrote:
And what to bring Betty for being so patient. :D

Ordering hot wings along with the pizza...most definitely. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If y'all are talking about this weekend, I'm out. I have some unexpected family in-town, so leaving for 12 hours is not likely to fly. ChiroKJ has mentioned being interested, but isn't frequenting the board much as he's in a JK, now :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:35 pm 
LOST Addict

That is a bummer, Dan, but I totally understand.

Funny, I just got an email from Greg this morning and I told him to call or PM John for directions.

Yeah, we will take JK-ers now too... We are LOST "JEEPS" now after all... :-)r

I have a veritable laundry list of things to get done before ECS... :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cobolt-60 wrote:
That is a bummer, Dan, but I totally understand.

I have a veritable laundry list of things to get done before ECS... :wink:

Same here:
- Finish front recovery points.
- purchase some trail accessories (pump, deflators, etc.)
- (buy and) mount rock rails.
- (buy and) mount lift.

At least I have all the skids (sans fuel tank) so worst case, I can limp home with severve body damage and an intact driveline :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 am 
LOST Addict

dgeist wrote:
[:
- Finish front recovery points.
- purchase some trail accessories (pump, deflators, etc.)
- (buy and) mount rock rails.
- (buy and) mount lift.

At least I have all the skids (sans fuel tank) so worst case, I can limp home with severve body damage and an intact driveline :)

If you need help just let us know... :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like the family plans have changed and I may be able to come tomorrow after all. Would someone be able to PM me to get some more details?

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Today was a good day. We got done the following:

--Finished remounting John's supplementary fog lights after he had installed the Backbone winch mount (which is sweet!!!).
--Replaced my OME rotors with NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and Adaptive One pads.
--Expended Dan's rear diff breather tube and demounted his front tow hooks in prep for his forthcoming custom receiver mounting mod that he is designing/building.

Too bad every weekend can't be like this... :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4