It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transmission flush question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently purchased a 2000 grand cherokee with the 4.7 motor. The jeep has 107,000 on it. I changed the differential fluids, transfer case fluids and motor oil. Now its time for the transmission. I want to flush the fluid out of the transmission cooler return line but im not sure which line it is?? Has anyone here attempted to DIY? I was calling around and the shops want $200 for a flush with new filters. I figured I could do it for under $50 myself. Any pointers would be greatly appreicated

Post subject: Re: transmission flush question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you want a real flush - I'm pretty sure you need the tranny machine to do it.
driveway things can change out some of the fluid - but you never get it all.

Post subject: Re: transmission flush question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 am 
LOST Member

I belong to a few diesel truck sites (I also own a 2007.5 Dodge RAM 3500 MegaCab CTD) and I've read of members disconnecting the transmission line at the cooler and sticking it in a five-gallon bucket, starting the engine, and purging the fluid this way. One note.....have a spotter and make sure you kill the engine as soon as the fluid stops pumping.

I can't answer your initial question as to which line is the one you're looking for, but you have a 50/50 shot first time.

If you drop the pan to change the filter, you'll probably get 60% or more of the old out......and that's a good start.

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.