It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan Clutch Wrench
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know that this has been discussed before, but has anyone found where to buy the proper fan clutch wrench that is made for the fan clutch removal? One that secures to the holes so that the clutch is held in place and an adjustable wrench may be used to loosen it.

I saw one at the dealer but the mechanic didn't know where it was purchased.

It looked like a long plier (36" long) with pins at one end that fit perfectly in the holes, and when squeezed it held the clutch snug in place without a problem.

I scoured the web to find it but failed to locate it.

Has anyone come across one, or is there another type that worked as well?

Racer Tracer

Post subject: Re: Fan Clutch Wrench
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:56 pm 
LOST Addict

NAPA SER 3900

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:45 pm 
LOST Member

I just used a spanner wrench on the pulley and backed the large nut off with a large cresent wrench to remove the fan and clutch assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 am 
LOST Member

Can you explain using a spanner wrench on the pulley? I changed mine today (for the second time) and I used the large crescent wrench and hammer and a piece of 1/4'' rod bent to a hook on one end. The hook catches after some frustration and the hammer breaks the fan/clutch loose.

How about some details about holding the pulley.

FWIW, I took the FFF mod off and replaced it with a Hayden 2905 clutch. I've become concerned having a full time fan during the winter months. I'll definitely put it back on by June 1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:01 am 
LOST Member

The spanner wrench has some tips on the end and it is in the shape of an x so either end has different size tips on them that are round the tips fit in the holes in the pulley and you spread the tool apart and when you try to loosen the nut with the crescent wrench the spanner tightens up in the open position allowing you to keep the pulley in a stationary position and pull on the big fan nut and hopefully break it loose. I will tell you that mine was quite tight so it took some muscle. The worst one was the crankshaft pulley I had to buy a big spanner wrench for that one Ill bet that bolt had way more than the 96 ft lbs that is needed to re torque after doing the timing belt change. Are you doing the timing belt right now?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

retmil46 had posted this over at KJcountry

Quote:
Instead of ordering the Miller special tool and pins for holding the clutch pulley - Miller wanted a total of $130 for the tool and pins which are sold separately - NAPA sells a universal fan clutch pulley holding tool, which includes the screw in pins for holding a late model Chrysler face pin pulley, for $25.

Instead of buying one of the flat thin fan clutch tools, which have a tendency to spread apart and round off the nut on the clutch, which is 36 MM, you can go to a place such as Northern Tool and buy a big combination wrench in 36 MM or 1 - 7/16 (which is 36.5 MM). I picked up the latter at Northern Tool for $15. Not only will these wrenches not spread out, they're stout enough and long enough that an adult of nominal strength should have no problem breaking loose and retorquing the new clutch to 75 to 100 ft/lbs.

I'd recommend breaking loose the nut on the old clutch before you begin pulling other stuff loose, just in case you run into difficulties or decide you need a second body to help.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46274

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:49 pm 
LOST Addict

ATXKJ wrote:
retmil46 had posted this over at KJcountry

Quote:
Instead of ordering the Miller special tool and pins for holding the clutch pulley - Miller wanted a total of $130 for the tool and pins which are sold separately - NAPA sells a universal fan clutch pulley holding tool, which includes the screw in pins for holding a late model Chrysler face pin pulley, for $25.

Instead of buying one of the flat thin fan clutch tools, which have a tendency to spread apart and round off the nut on the clutch, which is 36 MM, you can go to a place such as Northern Tool and buy a big combination wrench in 36 MM or 1 - 7/16 (which is 36.5 MM). I picked up the latter at Northern Tool for $15. Not only will these wrenches not spread out, they're stout enough and long enough that an adult of nominal strength should have no problem breaking loose and retorquing the new clutch to 75 to 100 ft/lbs.

I'd recommend breaking loose the nut on the old clutch before you begin pulling other stuff loose, just in case you run into difficulties or decide you need a second body to help.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46274

I can put my 2 foot 1/2 inch drive breaker bar on the wide thin flat steel wrenches and never spread a wrench or rounded a fan clutch hub yet. It'a the width of the wrench that keeps it from spreading.
This is the spec of the pulley holder tool

Universal Pulley Holder
Product Line: NAPA Service Tools
Part Number: SER 3900
Price: 25.99
Features & Benefits Holds Both Bolted-On & Pressed-On Pulleys Found On Many Vehicles, Includes Pin Set Which Is 5 mm x 8 mm
Warranty Lifetime Warranty on All Non-Serviceable & Non- Disposable Products. Full Sets Do Not Qualify; Individual Items May. Tools Subject To Abuse or Misuse Are Not Covered. NAPA Hand/Service Tools Is Not Liable for Consequential, Incidental or Special Damages.
Warranty PDF
Attributes Universal Pulley Holder Length : 15"
Universal Pulley Holder Thickness : 2" <--- I don't where they measure the thickness but the metal is about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Even with the pins install it's still not 2 inch thick

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This what I use at work......................

http://www.toolsource.com/pneumatic-clutch-wrench-p-89963.html

No holding tool required,used in a air hammer,and takes just seconds to break free and tighten clutch fans.Works very well and well worth the money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used a 1/2" socket IIRC and placed it through one of the holes on the fan clutch so it aligned with a nut on the engine, it held the clutch VERY tight while I used a spanner to take it off.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry