It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BEASLEY KNOB, 10/17/10
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is a Sunday run, again by local Athens Wrangler folks that are real familiar with the Knob. They plan on having a cookout up there afterwards. All Jeeps are invited. It's not a club, just like minded, good folks that love their Jeeps and love to play with them. If interested contact Steven Farris at 706-255-3676, or look for him on Facebook.
John

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

'04 Harley-Davidson Road King FLHRI Bagger

Post subject: Re: BEASLEY KNOB, 10/17/10
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I would dearly love to go with John to do this, but it is mid-semester right now and it just isn't gonna happen... :(

However, I strongly encourage all GA LOST members to to try to make this and see one of the few remaining USFS OHV areas left in Georgia. :JEEPIN:

Besides, the sooner we scout it out and become comfortable with it, the sooner we can have an "official" GA LOST trail run event there...!!! :wink:

Also, look for a winter FS road run up near Amicalola Falls State Park to be scheduled sometime in December or January... Coming Soon...

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm on here now. John and I will keep you guys posted for future events. We are going tomorrow and John will have some good info after he gets back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Stephen, glad that you are here and Welcome! :D

Please take note of the following information I just found about the USDA contracting for a trail assessment and impact statement for the Beasley Knob OHV area:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=56286

And pass this onto any other groups, parties, or individuals who also might be concerned about this...

Have fun tomorrow and take good care of John... :lol:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WELCOME STEPHEN! If you haven't already, check out the Wrangler site here, and others. Lots of good info from like-minded folks. See you tomorrow. :JEEPIN: :BANANA: John

'06 4X4 KJ, skid plates, Daystar lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Reese hitch, Surco Safari Rack/Hella 500's, Cobra 75 wxst/Wilson 4' Firestick, Optima Red Top, Pilot fog lights, Detours KJ Backbone/Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Spidertrax spacers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Stephen, glad that you are here and Welcome! :D

Please take note of the following information I just found about the USDA contracting for a trail assessment and impact statement for the Beasley Knob OHV area:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=56286

And pass this onto any other groups, parties, or individuals who also might be concerned about this...

Have fun tomorrow and take good care of John... :lol:

Wasn't Tellico closed because of environmental impacts from soil and erosion runoff into nearby streams? And wasn't the trout population the biggest thing that they were looking at, all somewhat backed by Ted Turner? They first said that they were going to close the trail down and conduct the research. That brought on a lot of lost business to that area. We knew they would not open it back up. Tellico was closed because of environmentalist I think. These are the same people that make sure that we can not water our lawns so we can send that water downstream to Florida and Alabama to save the muscles(wasn't this the case of the last two years of the drought)? Beasley has no local impact except on erosion of the dirt. At lot of low usage wilderness and OHV areas are being closed right now because there is not enough funding to keep the areas up. I drive by places in Toccoa where the gates were never opened this year. I have been told that they are just closing the gates until these areas grow over. This is more of an economic impact due to the state of our government right now. This includes some hiking and picnic areas. You guys may know a lot more than I do and we would love to help the cause. Looking forward to riding with some of you guys if you will allow us CJ/Wrangles around :SOMBRERO: After we get John's feet wet maybe he can persuade some more from here to come play.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:27 pm 
LOST Addict

stephenfarris wrote:
Wasn't Tellico closed because of environmental impacts from soil and erosion runoff into nearby streams? And wasn't the trout population the biggest thing that they were looking at, all somewhat backed by Ted Turner? They first said that they were going to close the trail down and conduct the research. That brought on a lot of lost business to that area. We knew they would not open it back up. Tellico was closed because of environmentalist I think. These are the same people that make sure that we can not water our lawns so we can send that water downstream to Florida and Alabama to save the muscles(wasn't this the case of the last two years of the drought)? Beasley has no local impact except on erosion of the dirt. At lot of low usage wilderness and OHV areas are being closed right now because there is not enough funding to keep the areas up. I drive by places in Toccoa where the gates were never opened this year. I have been told that they are just closing the gates until these areas grow over. This is more of an economic impact due to the state of our government right now. This includes some hiking and picnic areas. You guys may know a lot more than I do and we would love to help the cause. Looking forward to riding with some of you guys if you will allow us CJ/Wrangles around :SOMBRERO: After we get John's feet wet maybe he can persuade some more from here to come play.

Yes, Tellico was closed because of the "environmental impact", but what those who did not follow the issue closely do not remember was that the Southern 4WD Association (SFWDA) contributed close to $2M worth of man-power working (clearing trails, building bridges, reinforcing banks, etc.) in 2008 (the USFS budget for the Tellico OHV area for that year was $1.7M) to help keep the area open as it is one of the largest economic draws for the town of Murphy, NC. The "environmentalists" that brought the forced the closure of the Upper #2 Trail at Tellico that was the start of the whole review and process in 2007 were actually paid lobbyists for Trouts Unlimited. I was at Tellico for the 2007 Jeep Jamboree and talked to the local trail guides first hand over dinner one night about it.

In May 2010 they filed a lawsuit against the USFS:

http://www.sfwda.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=381

I have a copy of the PDF "book" version of the complete Chattahoochee-Occonee National Forest Off-Road Area Maps from 2007. The differences between that and the 2010 version maps that is online right now are striking. Many of the FS Roads I have listed on my maps have simply ceased to exist on the new ones. Others have been re-numbered. I believe there is an economic impact (in $ spent) that off-roading does provide to the local communities that is not the same as that which is provided by hikers, campers, mountain-bikers, etc... I support (and participate in) all of those activities, but I believe there is a sustainable place for 4WDs as well. The closures of the OHV areas in the N.GA Mtns started in 2004 long before the current economic down-turn. This has been a systematic process.

We look forward to wheeling with you all too... if you can put up with our IFS "Grocery Getters"... :lol: :JEEPIN:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cobolt-60 wrote:
stephenfarris wrote:

Yes, Tellico was closed because of the "environmental impact", but what those who did not follow the issue closely do not remember was that the Southern 4WD Association (SFWDA) contributed close to $2M worth of man-power working (clearing trails, building bridges, reinforcing banks, etc.) in 2008 (the USFS budget for the Tellico OHV area for that year was $1.7M) to help keep the area open as it is one of the largest economic draws for the town of Murphy, NC. The "environmentalists" that brought the forced the closure of the Upper #2 Trail at Tellico that was the start of the whole review and process in 2007 were actually paid lobbyists for Trouts Unlimited. I was at Tellico for the 2007 Jeep Jamboree and talked to the local trail guides first hand over dinner one night about it.

In May 2010 they filed a lawsuit against the USFS:

http://www.sfwda.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=381

I have a copy of the PDF "book" version of the complete Chattahoochee-Occonee National Forest Off-Road Area Maps from 2007. The differences between that and the 2010 version maps that is online right now are striking. Many of the FS Roads I have listed on my maps have simply ceased to exist on the new ones. Others have been re-numbered. I believe there is an economic impact (in $ spent) that off-roading does provide to the local communities that is not the same as that which is provided by hikers, campers, mountain-bikers, etc... I support (and participate in) all of those activities, but I believe there is a sustainable place for 4WDs as well. The closures of the OHV areas in the N.GA Mtns started in 2004 long before the current economic down-turn. This has been a systematic process.

We look forward to wheeling with you all too... if you can put up with our IFS "Grocery Getters"... :lol: :JEEPIN:

We should all get together and talk then. Sounds like you are up to snuff about it all. I only know what I have been told and what others have posted on other forums. I did read some about Tellico in the beginning but gave up once I knew it was a lost cause. On a side note, John should have some good feedback for you guys about Beasley as well as some pics. I also heard today that Durhamtown has some new, less muddy trails open now-tight stuff with rocks and hills.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
LOST Addict

stephenfarris wrote:
We should all get together and talk then. Sounds like you are up to snuff about it all. I only know what I have been told and what others have posted on other forums. I did read some about Tellico in the beginning but gave up once I knew it was a lost cause. On a side note, John should have some good feedback for you guys about Beasley as well as some pics. I also heard today that Durhamtown has some new, less muddy trails open now-tight stuff with rocks and hills.

Sounds good. I talked with a buddy of mine from ATL who is an LJ driver that is going with his group down to River Rock this weekend that expressed interest in the N.GA things we have been talking about (Nimblewill Gap, Cochran Falls, Sheep Wallow, Tray Mountain, etc.) since he has not been to any of them (I did Tellico with him in 2007 and I know he has done Windrock a number of times...)

I am pretty much swamped with commitments till after Dec. 6th but am basically free almost any day between then and Jan. 5. John knows how to get a hold of me... :)

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Still waiting for some pics and a trail report on what trails you did on this sweet trail ride... :)

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cobolt-60 wrote:
Still waiting for some pics and a trail report on what trails you did on this sweet trail ride... :)

I have some pics from the ride but I don't know how to post them on this website.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:14 pm 
LOST Addict

stephenfarris wrote:
I have some pics from the ride but I don't know how to post them on this website.

You can't post directly to the forum, but if they are posted some place else (like Photobucket) then you put in the URL for the photo's location between two "Img" tags....

Give it a try and if it doesn't work, I have Admin rights to this forum and I will edit your post to get them to show... :D

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stephenfarris wrote:
Cobolt-60 wrote:

Sorry, Colin. I did pretty much all of the driving at Beasley Knob and only got a few pictures. Summer got quite a few on her I-Phone as well as some video that she hasn't put up yet. She, also, is busy with school and work and setting up after a recent move. I'll give her a bump and go ahead and post my pictures.
John

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Pics from Beasley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

More

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

So when are we going back LOST?
New axles installed today!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

We got John doing the Liberty Hop...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Playing with some rocks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

John did everything but "The Wall" so you guys should be ok.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stephenfarris wrote:
John did everything but "The Wall" so you guys should be ok.

Due to miscommunication I elected not to go to the wall and have no idea if we could do it or not...my mistake. Like Stephen said...anyone with the mods I have should be able to make it...if it's dry...and they know how to "bunny-hop" :mrgreen:. gotta love it.

lined up at the Chevron station for gas, ice, etc., and to air down.

gathered at the parking lot to pay entry fees and head out.

Stephen showing off

one of the trailered buggies...a toyota in name only

the other trailered toyota buggy....this is the one that winched the flipped Wrangler, and broke his axle.

this is the Cherokee that was said to have rolled at Tray in the snow

Summer topping a run...grinning from ear to ear.

this is right after the flip. notice the smoke in the distance up the hill

and this is what I walked up on...scary sight...thank God Chris was O.K.

some of the crowd keeping the Jeep from rolling back over while the winch cable is relocated.

finally winched to "level" ground and fixing to get under the hood and "git-r-done".

the Suzuki buggy that met us later playing on a boulder beside the trail.

It may only be 10.5 miles of trails....but they are KILLER! Can't wait to go again.