It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD - Relocate Windshield washer reservoir
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My TJM bumper has a skid plate for the washer bottle, but it didn't last long, I came down hard on a rock while I was at Windrock off road park for East Coast Safari this year. It crumpled the skid plate, folding the windshield washer bottle, which pushed out the level sensor and all the fluid. This is the second time I've damaged the washer bottle. The first time was my first Hole-In-The-Rock trip in 2006 where a rock rode up the front of the right front wheel and took out the washer bottle.

There are a couple of how-to's for relocating the reservoir, written mostly by 3.7 owners. Unfortunately the spot that they choose to relocate the bottle to is crowded with the TCM and lots of wiring. I considered that spot, but making it work for a CRD meant creating a bracket to hang the bottle out in the air between components. I wasn't really happy with that option. Here is a picture of the spot on the passenger side in front of the firewall.

Today I take the old reservoir out and while I had the air cleaner out, I started looking for a more appropriate location. I think the spot in front of the air cleaner is big enough for a quart size bottle. This will fit right in front of the air cleaner where the stock fill tube is located.

First step is to clear out the space for a bottle. This big cable bundle is zip tied in two places to the inner fender. Cut the zip ties, pull the grommets that hold the ties and move the wire bundle forward. Don't want to leave it free, need to find a couple of points to zip tie the bundle too get it out of the way.

I drilled a hole in the duct for the stock air cleaner intake. I have updated my engine compartment with a 2002 air-box. This is the one that has a snorkel and moves the intake to the gap between the grill and hood. If you still have the stock intake, then you many need to find another point to add zip tie down.
There is an existing hole in the headlight bracket that held the other side of the bundle.
Here is the cable bundle zip tied out of the way

Now I needed to find a bottle that would fit the location, I searched my garage and found a bottle of Diesel 911 that looked to be about the right size and put it in place.

The bottle is a quart, 32 oz. Could stand to be about 1/4 inch shorter, but not a bad fit.

Its about 10" tall, 3.5" wide 2" deep.

So I'm on the lookout for a bottle that is about 9.5 inches tall, 3" deep and 4 to 7 inches wide. The 911 bottle has an offset neck, so If I can find a centered fill neck, the width could go to about 7 inches. The white Power Service bottle is the same size and would be less conspicuous than the red 911 bottle.

Once I find a suitable bottle I'll post it up with the pump install. The stock pump will be difficult to make work. In the stock installation it snaps into the stock bottle and picks up fluid at the bottom. To work with the new bottle, It would have to install horizontally at the bottom of the bottle which means I would need to fabricate a bracket. I'm thinking I want a side pickup pump so I can tape it to the side of the bottle.

I think I may have found a suitable cheap replacement pump from a Ford Expedition. I'm going to Autozone on Tuesday to take a look and determine if it will work.

Last edited by bugnout on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CRD - Relocate Windshield washer reservoir
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great write up! I am getting an ARB soon and was worried about the bottle placement. I'll be watching for the pump and bottle you find!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did the same thing about a year ago (same bumper). I used a coolant overfill bottle from Advanced, but I don't have the 02 airbox mod. I bought a replacement pump online for $20, but I have front wiper fluid only, I could get a second pump and run it, but just have not had time.

TJM Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000
Suncoast TC, Boiler Radiator Skid, Boiler Roof Rack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bought the pump from autozone for $29.00. It has dual outputs for the front and back like the stock unit. This one has spade connections, no OEM connector required. Part is from TAAP inc. This unit was stock on 97 and older Ford Expeditions.
Found a 32 oz Nalgene polypropylene bottle Just the right size for about $9.00 from U.S. Plastics
Decided not to use the rubber grommet that came with the pump and instead drilled a 5/8 hole in the side of the bottle. This generates a bit of heat and melts the plastic, so took some sand paper to the opening to clean it up. The hole is almost too small, takes a bit of force to get the pump neck in. Once installed, I pulled it out half way and applied silicone sealant to the pump neck. pushed the pump in and then applied sealant directly between the pump and the bottle.
Letting this cure tonight, will install it sometime this week. In the meantime, I've stripped the old connector off and installed spade connectors to the wiring harness and cut the rubber tubing to the correct length for the new location. I haven't figured out if I need a bracket yet. I think that all I need is a flat base with a lip and a zip tie the neck to the radiator support where the old cap was attached.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice find, I a may have to upgrade mine.

TJM Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000
Suncoast TC, Boiler Radiator Skid, Boiler Roof Rack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Installed the bottle today. Surprisingly, I connected everything correctly the first time. Ended up securing it with a couple of zip ties to the hole in the radiator support. Its held pretty tight against the air box, sitting on top of the fender.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm 
LOST Member

nice right up Scott i think i might do that just so i don't do what u did at windrock!

05 crd, old man emu, jeepin by al upper control arms, spider track wheel spacers, bf mud terrain t/a, full 3'' with a magnaflow exhaust,rocky road super sliders,skid row gas tank cover,surco roof rack with hella 500 lights,front hooks,b&m trans cooler!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This works great!
although when I first pulled the airbox I wasn't sure there was enough room - but everything fits and my washer works.

Thanks
bugnout

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

great ideas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
Bought the pump from autozone for $29.00. It has dual outputs for the front and back like the stock unit. This one has spade connections, no OEM connector required. Part is from TAAP inc. This unit was stock on 97 and older Ford Expeditions.

I am doing this finally, broke the output on my pump... thanks to bugnout, I found the OEM ford (motorcraft) pump on amazon for $22 (free shipping). Part# WG-302 for anyone who wants to shop around more.

amazon.com/Motorcraft-WG302

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is how mine turned out, thanks Bugnout!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry