It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MtnLuvr wrote:
:shock: I'm surprised there's so much dialog on rock sliders versus the off-road bumpers, especially the front .......... :dizzy:

Because they think your rock rails are sexy.Image The front bumper looks practical and cosmetically good. 8) Are you going to do a non-winch mount bumper? The rear bumper isn’t complete enough for most of us to comment.Image As it stands right now, the rear bumper appears a little too big and bulky. I hope you have the front bumper painted/bed-lined by Christmas so I can see it up close and in person. :JEEPIN:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:58 pm 
LOST Member

Wow. Now that is what you haad to tell me! My guy told me He can't even start till the 1st of the year on the bumpers, as I posted on the my thread, do you think you would have some numbers by then, cause I will have to cancel before he starts. That is an awesome front bumper. Are you going to do some kind of grille guard, not that it needs it but just curios. I love the style you created I can tell the effort you put. One of the things I asked my guy was to add the lights on the side, but he said he was not sure he could put them in because the design, you did not miss that. I'm speechless
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

onegoodpunk wrote:
Rock On... your stuff is looking really good!

dieselenthusiast wrote:
MtnLuvr wrote:
:shock: I'm surprised there's so much dialog on rock sliders versus the off-road bumpers, especially the front .......... :dizzy:
Because they think your rock rails are sexy.Image The front bumper looks practical and cosmetically good. 8)
Thanks guys.

dieselenthusiast wrote:
...The front bumper looks practical and cosmetically good. 8) Are you going to do a non-winch mount bumper?...
Not really. The whole reason I started down this path was because I wanted an awesome looking front winch bumper with maximum approach clearances. That said, if enough people (who've been saying they want a front winch bumper for the KK) actually buy some and it is worth my hassle to keep my KK aftermarket products company going, I can envision how it wouldn't be that hard to alter my design to make a non-winch version IF it seemed like there was enough demand. Before I'd bother with that, there are bunches of stuff I plan on designing and having built for at least my KK.

dieselenthusiast wrote:
...The rear bumper isn’t complete enough for most of us to comment.Image As it stands right now, the rear bumper appears a little too big and bulky....
Yeah, the rear bumper design isn't as "sexy" as the front bumper. It certainly is more utilitarian. Given how the back of the KK is made to accomdate the under-tail spare tire, if you want a full 2" tow hitch receiver and not to take a sawz-all or torch to the OEM KK body and structure, you're pretty constrained. I didn't want to loose towing capabilities nor to expose the OEM body or structure or under-tail spare, so that dictated much of the design other than the outer wheel path areas where I decided to go for maximum possible departure clearances by sucking the bumper forward and the bottom up as much as physically possible. The rear of the KK is a pain. :banghead:

dieselenthusiast wrote:
...I hope you have the front bumper painted/bed-lined by Christmas so I can see it up close and in person. :JEEPIN:
Unfortunately I know I won't as I'm still fine-tuning some of my pre-made part details. Then there will be a 1-3 week lead-time to get the additional pre-made parts made for fit-up. I'm actually having 3 copies of my front bumper (1 for me, 1 for a beta tester that has already enlisted and 1 for master jig references) built so I don't want the first one full welded up, much less painted, until all 3 are confirmed identical and properly fitting.

At least we can plan on having some good Kansas City BBQ :pepper: You'll probably get to see my off-road KK armor in person sometime next summer as I've got to get to the Rockies as I'm going through some serious mountain withdrawal with my KK having been unavailable since mid-June. I'd love to come check out your Timberlake Ranch area in NM.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Timing & Grille Guard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RRiveraKK wrote:
Wow. Now that is what you haad to tell me! ...That is an awesome front bumper.... I love the style you created I can tell the effort you put. ... I'm speechless
Thanks
Well, if it weren't for you doing what I did and deciding we KKers are never going to get some off-road bumpers for our KKs unless we make it happen ourselves, I probably wouldn't have made this posting now as I was originally hoping to wait until I had everything totally done and my first production batches ready for shipment (and thus prices set). Your exploration with the Washington off-road shop made me feel like I needed to go ahead and let everyone know a viable option was coming.

RRiveraKK wrote:
... My guy told me He can't even start till the 1st of the year on the bumpers, as I posted on the my thread, do you think you would have some numbers by then, cause I will have to cancel before he starts...
If the balance of fine-tuning the part details for all my pre-made parts goes decently, I would hope to have bumpers and part details completed sometime in January. I need to have these done before I'll then get competitive quotes from multiple steel fabrication shops (that I used to work with all the time) on making the first production batch. That should put me with having the prices set and the first production batches available hopefully sometime in the first quarter of 2011 (so, before tax day). I'm going to gauge how many I'll have built in the first production batch based upon apparent interest on-line as the greater the quantity I have built, the lower the cost will be per unit and thus the lower the sell price will be.

RRiveraKK wrote:
... Are you going to do some kind of grille guard, not that it needs it but just curios. I love the style you created I can tell the effort you put...
As noted in my detailed front bumper feature listing, I've designed my front bumper to accomodate bolt-on grille guard or bolt-on full-width brush guard or bolt-on stinger hoop. I have part of the necessary parts designed for these and have played around a little with some cardboard mock-ups. After I'm done polishing the pre-made part details for the bumper proper, then we'll be building the protoypes of each of the bolt-on grille guard options. I'm looking forward to seeing how those will alter the front bumper's appearance.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MtnLuvr wrote:
At least we can plan on having some good Kansas City BBQ :pepper: You'll probably get to see my off-road KK armor in person sometime next summer as I've got to get to the Rockies as I'm going through some serious mountain withdrawal with my KK having been unavailable since mid-June. I'd love to come check out your Timberlake Ranch area in NM.

I’m looking forward to the good KC BBQ, the meet and greet, and you buying some of the most beautiful mountain property here in the Zuni Mountains at Timberlake Ranch. :pepper: Serioulsy, you wont be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cool looking products.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MtnLuvr wrote:
Yeah, the rear bumper design isn't as "sexy" as the front bumper. It certainly is more utilitarian. Given how the back of the KK is made to accomdate the under-tail spare tire, if you want a full 2" tow hitch receiver and not to take a sawz-all or torch to the OEM KK body and structure, you're pretty constrained. I didn't want to loose towing capabilities nor to expose the OEM body or structure or under-tail spare, so that dictated much of the design other than the outer wheel path areas where I decided to go for maximum possible departure clearances by sucking the bumper forward and the bottom up as much as physically possible. The rear of the KK is a pain. :banghead:

I’ve always hated spare tires mounted under vehicles. I would much prefer the spare tire mounted in the cab similar to the OE XJ design. Although, my favorite place to mount a spare tire is on the tailgate/rear bumper. In my opinion, the external spare tire mount on the tailgate made the KJ seem more Jeep-like and very utilitarian. I can understand how the rear bumper on the KK would be a pain. But I would encourage you to make a rear bumper with a tire carrier option. Not only would it look awesome, but it would give it an attractive appeal that you have already established with your front bumper design. Here’s the rear bumper that I’m about to buy for my XJ.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

subscribing

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

Post subject: Re: What do you think?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
subscribing
...so............., what do you think about the bumpers (and sliders)?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:26 pm 
LOST Addict

im not real sure i like the look of the bumpers but i can understand why with the clearances and everything. im more for the simple look in bumpers, say like boblemoche made. I like the way your sliders curve up instead of stick straight out like the RL. I would have boughten the RRO rails but after reading about them i was steered away. Now im especially glad I didnt after seeing how theyre bent up. I wish our Jeeps had more clearance at the rocker panel.

little off topic but...
I took some measurements between my KK and buddies 4Runner. About the same center of wheel to fender. however the wheel wells are huge and can easily stuff his 285/75/16s without rubbing on anything or having to make clearance for them. not to mention that his flexes enormous amounts in the rear, i could only imagine how awesome one would be if it were SFAed. about the same height over all. undercarriage are about the same but his gas tank hangs down lower and the front suspension of the KK is about an inch lower. which is ridiculous because he has a 1" diff drop also. rear bumpers are about the same except his hitch hangs a good 4" so he drags that on everything. front bumpers dont count because he has a sweet tube bumper. Most ridiculous thing about his is its rocker panels have like 6" more clearance then the KK. where i drag on the rails he doesnt even touch.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:49 pm 
LOST Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
03CDKJ wrote:
Really Troy??? :lol:

There's only so many ways to build rock rails and his are obviously different....

1) The outer rail is angled....
2)The bracing for the outer rail is different...
3)The pinchweld bar is longer...

And that's without seeing them in person... :wink:

I'm not trying to defend anybody, but this is how I see it.

do they own patent for their design ? i could also say that using 4 wheels on a car is courtesy of ford... or is it really ?

on an other note , I really like the grill that protect the ps radiator on your bumper. just make sure you can still reach the oil filter :mrgreen:

4.56 gears, arb locker front and rear.
3'' fox lift, Jba A arms
33'' Bfg KM2 with 1 1/4'' wheel spacers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the front bumper is nice.... the rear... ehh... the design from the rear should taper down more gradual look ground level straight at the back... almost like a slant liftd 20 degrees from the horizontal plane... it should go up abruptly... this will still allow for more ground clearance at the ends furthest from the center of the rig but it will flow much nicer.... for the front i'd still want d-ring mounts as i orefer those over the tow hooks... i like your skid design... i would most likely go for the stinger with the light tabs... but i'd like to see the brush guard etc.... any new pics to show the rear?

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boblemoche wrote:
...on an other note , I really like the grill that protect the ps radiator on your bumper. just make sure you can still reach the oil filter :mrgreen:
Thanks Boblemoche....that's part of why I configured the lower end of the radiator/PS skid plate the same as the OEM KK one so I wouldn't make the horrible access to the oil filter any worse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
the front bumper is nice.... the rear... ehh... the design from the rear should taper down more gradual look ground level straight at the back... almost like a slant liftd 20 degrees from the horizontal plane... it should go up abruptly... this will still allow for more ground clearance at the ends furthest from the center of the rig but it will flow much nicer.... for the front i'd still want d-ring mounts as i orefer those over the tow hooks... i like your skid design... i would most likely go for the stinger with the light tabs... but i'd like to see the brush guard etc.... any new pics to show the rear?
Thanks for the feedback Jeepin'. No updated pics to show yet. Working around holiday plans, but hopefully sometime around the end of December or first part of January I'll be able to get to having the grille guard, brush guard and stinger prototypes fabricated. Once I do, I'll be sure to post some photos of them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm sure you've been asked this before but what the hell.... what do you estimate the cost for the front will be? and for the rear?

Post subject: Pricing Yet To Be Determined
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
I'm sure you've been asked this before but what the hell.... what do you estimate the cost for the front will be? and for the rear?
I'm not gonna throw out a guess for pricing. As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I won't know sell prices until I know costs to have batches built. I won't know batch costs until, 1) I'm done with fine tuning all the part details to have some repeatability and to minimize welding assembly labor and, 2) until I can get a feel of the interest on-line as my cost per unit, and thus the sell price per unit, would be lower if I have 10 made than if I have 5 made in a batch. This is due to the old "economies of scale" where the setup costs for making the pre-made parts and the welded assembly would all get distributed over a larger quantity thus lowering the cost per unit for larger quantities. If I had 20 made in the first batch production run, they'd be even more economical per unit than if I had 10 made. Not the answer in terms of dollar amounts you were hoping for, but I hope that made sense.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boblemoche wrote:
do they own patent for their design ? i could also say that using 4 wheels on a car is courtesy of ford... or is it really ?

You could say that, but there‘s no validity to it. 4 wheels is not a design that is unique to Ford. I was trying to show that Mtnluvr made his sliders using design ideas from both RL and RRO. In my opinion, he took the curb appeal from RRO and the solid mounting design from RL to make a sexy slider. :mrgreen: One could also say that MtnLuvr learned from his mistakes. :lol:

Last edited by dieselenthusiast on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok sometimes I can be a little dense......... You are planning on adapting this design to the kj?

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

stumpjumper_09 wrote:
Ok sometimes I can be a little dense......... You are planning on adapting this design to the kj?

pfft no! out with the old, in with the new. :goink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

This old dog still has some tricks up its sleeves though :SOMBRERO:

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next