It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Firestick CB antenna (rear bumper mount)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 am 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
Screw L.O.S.T...i've had it with this!!! Every time I post something on here I get hounded by people on here. Some Moderator please block this post. i see it's going to cause problems. People could be abit nicer to me and suggest a better place?

not to make you any more upset...this is the internet, you cant take anything too seriously to be honest...a lot, A LOT of good information here...almost everyone that has a cb on here knows about the mounting...usually to metal on the body or something and taking a ground wire and such. So when people mount them in odd places its not really going to get an A+ if you know where im going. heck, when anyone does any mod to the jeep that is "un jeep liberty mod like" its going to get skeptical answers ya know. just trying to look out for ya, no one is trying to add wood to a fire (not saying you were on fire, just saying no one is trying to be a DB)

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:47 am 
LOST Addict

STINGN wrote:
just trying to look out for ya, no one is trying to add wood to a fire (not saying you were on fire, just saying no one is trying to be a DB)
First thing I thought of reading this.
Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me! :-)r

Anyway, just cause...I don't like Steve's (Stingn's) antenna mounting either. Looks like something that could get snagged on the trail causing body damage, but it's grounded, fully functional and properly installed.

And while I'm at it I'll critique what's in my driveway....
Eugene's antenna mount I would like to see modified. It's ok, but I think using some nutzerts in the body would make it a more solid fit. The CB is currently hard wired to one of the 12v outlets, this will eventually be changed to some fused thicker gauge wire run directly from the battery.

The vans both have Radio Shack hand helds plugged into the 12v outlets. I'm told they suck, but I don't have a problem talking to the trucks I draft.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 am 
LOST Member

OK... well here goes nothin lol.. im totaly new to cb's and mounting them. can you guys please show me some "good" "safe" was to mount my radio and antenna. i was thinking of putting the radio under the a/c controls but am looking for advice

desert camo seats desert camo wraps
235/75/16 at's on MOABS
Monkey Farts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

in my experience, by the time you make the cable run to the battery versus - a hardwire to the 12v outlet or a run to the fuse panel, the power's no cleaner

the rear 12v is noisier simply due to the fuel pump, the fuse panel usually has you go under the dash past the hazard/flasher, the front 12v is on top of the transmission, the battery ends up taking you past the hazard flasher and the fuel injectors

I've tried filters and such, with little result, my radio is very sensitive to RFI and I never was able to get all of it out, though with the switch off, i could RX/TX ludicrous distances

I've seen various radio techs, ham's as well as CB's use shielded coax for power leads, pretty sure someone here has done it as well for runs to the battery with good results

Now that my antenna isn't on my roof I may end up looking into doing the same

luckily, for short range trail use, you could pretty much hook the cb up to a lightbulb and get results

biggest thing is you need things grounded etc or you end up running the risk of blowing the radio out

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

steve03sport wrote:
OK... well here goes nothin lol.. im totaly new to cb's and mounting them. can you guys please show me some "good" "safe" was to mount my radio and antenna. i was thinking of putting the radio under the a/c controls but am looking for advice

It mostly will depend on what size radio you have, the really small ones may fit under the controls, there's pretty much no room for an in dash installation in the KJs though. I have a full size galaxy mounted to the console on the passenger side with enough room to open the glove box and full pass. seat movement. Some have put their units on the dash or even modified the arm rest console for an install inside it while others used the remote boxes and installed theirs under the seat with the handset clip mounted to the dash. My suggestion is take the radio box and sit in the drivers seat and start poking it in places and see where it best fits

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 am 
LOST Member

i did that, i also put it in the space under the ac controls but it sticks out a lil bit, someone said to cut out back of that plastic so it goes in farther. any thoughts on that? and my radio is a small cobra19dx iv

235/75/16 at's on MOABS
Monkey Farts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would have thought that the 19dxiv would have been a little thick but if it mostly fits, what I'd do is remove that section of the dash, bezel around the radio etc and see exactly how much room behind it there actually is, pretty sure the 19dxiv would easily fit in the arm rest console as an alternative

with that size radio you have the most options of where to install it, just don't be tempted to fiddle with it if you can't easily reach it, and depending on where you put it, you may end up wanting to invest in an external speaker. Even with my galaxy on the side of the console with the speaker facing me, i do have trouble hearing it sometimes

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Mines under the drivers seat
out of site
remote speaker next to me on the center console
Can reach it if I need to change channels
of course can't see it but know how many clicks each way to go
Its an older model than has been "tuned up" just a bit, well a lot
so hate to retire it to something smaller that doesn't talk as far
I'm just using a mag mount on the roof anymore since anything else my garage door would tear off up where it would work good
wired into the fuse panel, not much noise at all really if any

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 am 
LOST Junkie

I have a radio about the same size as yours steve. Mine is mounted on the dash over a portion of the defrost vent. I did exactly what jeepin is talking about, I sat in the drivers seat and put it in different spots to see what I liked, the dash option worked best for me. I did make mine removable (wiring and mount) namely cause my radio is there just for trail runs. I keep it with me it only takes a few seconds to get in into place and running.

Power is from the radio, did the math (watts/volts) to make sure there was enough current to run either or both and that the wiring was good enough to supplie power to both if needed.

I have had two different mounting points for my antenna. First one was a custom bracket on the rear tire mount, and currently running a two foot fire stick off my Boiler rack. Pros and Cons to both. With it on the rear my five foot firestick was good for most trail runs, there was some interference with recieving because my jeep was in the way. What I liked about that setup was it was out of the way of tree branches. With it mounted on the roof rack I get a nice clear signal, with nothing impeading my reception or transmission. The con to this setup is that with it on the roof tree branches and clearence comes into play more. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

any photos guys?

235/75/16 at's on MOABS
Monkey Farts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:04 pm 
LOST Addict

yellocoyote wrote:
You are incorrect, sir. It's currently wired out to the fuse box in front of the battery in the engine.

Doh! :oops:

Forgot that was done.

1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I also have a Cobra 19 and have it secured to the passenger side of the center console with adhesive velcro. That way it sits tucked in between the seat and the console. Then I have the external speaker under the front of the driver's seat aimed forward.

Skyjacker 2 1/2" rear springs and shocks
Aussie Locker behind Riddler Armored Diff cover
Boiler brand roof rack
ARB bumper with XRC 8 winch
245/75R16s on Rubicon Moabs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:

I have full intentions of leaving the power source where it is... it would be nicer, however, to run the wiring through the firewall (it's currently routed through the door :roll:). I have yet to find a clean/easy way to do this, even after all the how-to's here on LOST.

I agree with you (to a degree) on the antenna mount. I love the location, but the bracket seems to work itself loose where it is. I have yet to find a satisfactory way to keep it snug and secure. I'd actually consider having the bracket welded into place if I could. Another project for the down the road.

There's a grommet above your left foot while in the drivers seat

from the radio - to the firewall, behind the carpet/airduct at dash center, across to the left and up and out through the grommet

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:
... it would be nicer, however, to run the wiring through the firewall....

There's a grommet above your left foot while in the drivers seat
from the radio - to the firewall, behind the carpet/airduct at dash center, across to the left and up and out through the grommet
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liber ... enetration

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

98% of people on here are DB's...the one's I've ran into. I don't care about the holes in the bumper, or if it looks dumb or out-of-place to you all. I like what I've done, so there. It's not going to get ripped out. All I do is drive and I plan on have a rear custom bumper made next year. If you're so uptight on fixing it, why don't you come do it yourself? Otherwise, it will be done on my time. Thanks for the "in-put" on my apparently stupid, dumbest mod to a jeep ever post and for those who were nice about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 pm 
LOST Member

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
98% of people on here are DB's...the one's I've ran into. I don't care about the holes in the bumper, or if it looks dumb or out-of-place to you all. I like what I've done, so there. It's not going to get ripped out. All I do is drive and I plan on have a rear custom bumper made next year. If you're so uptight on fixing it, why don't you come do it yourself? Otherwise, it will be done on my time. Thanks for the "in-put" on my apparently stupid, dumbest mod to a jeep ever post and for those who were nice about it.

If you dont like peoples attitudes and advice on here then leave, no ones making you stay. Personally i try and absorb everything these older guys know because they've been around the block a few times and honestly know what they're talking about, and aren't just talking to talk- they're trying to look out for ya. Your kinda giving a bad name to "People your age" by making such a big deal and blowing up about something over the internet.

I personally had my CB mounted next to the passenger seat, run to the fusebox, and the coax run through the trim out the swing gate. I made a mount (simple L bracket from Lowes bent to fit) that attaches to the top of the turn signal, attached with 4 self tapping screws.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

BW, can I call you BW? Cool.

Anyway, if you haven't noticed we try to encourage people to get the most out of there Jeeps without looking foolish. First glance at what you've done shows your inexperience and lack of research, and you got called on it. If you truly love your Jeep you'll sit back a bit, calm down and see that ways to make your current mounting actually work have been suggested, in addition to several other more proper methods of mounting. We're trying to help and sometimes that might sting a bit, but if you are mature enough you'll be able to handle it.

Also of note some of the people that this site has banned are really cool friendly people in real life. Heck, if you lived close enough to be at one of our wrench fests I'd gladly help you learn to wrench on your vehicle. But what do I know, I'm just a jerk.

You say that it won't rip out cause you just drive. Have you seen how much these antennas move around at highway speeds? Once again just trying to look out for ya.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 am 
LOST Member

Widow, your profile states "Occupation: Going to College to be a Cop "
If that is the case you really need to chill. If you think the responses here are rough...you are way off. Several people here went out of their way to suggest imrpovements to your idea. You don't want to take thats fine, but most that replied to you have helped several others on this forum. Chill out, have a drink, and learn from these guys we all started somewhere and most of us have learned by making similar mistakes. experiance is earned by mistakes,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jaymie,

Well, i can tell you from intimate experience, once you "accidentally" push the grommet through to the otherside

it's a monkey business to get it to reseat

If you can get a piece of a coathanger, sharpened, to press a hole in the outer edge before the lip, then turn it around put the other end through, curl the hanger end into a loop, put your power wire through the loop, crimp it good, then pull through from the engine bay

the method can be a pain, but it will self seal around the wire, grommet material is VERY flexible

I made the mistake of pushing mine through at one point, the coat hanger method is rather reliable, only had push-throughs on 1 out of 20 passes on varying vehicles

and if you have to, two similar coat hangers, with a L bent in the end, will serve to pull the grommet back in if necessary - it's dang near impossible to reach from the engine bay

L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
BW, can I call you BW? Cool.

Anyway, if you haven't noticed we try to encourage people to get the most out of there Jeeps without looking foolish. First glance at what you've done shows your inexperience and lack of research, and you got called on it. If you truly love your Jeep you'll sit back a bit, calm down and see that ways to make your current mounting actually work have been suggested, in addition to several other more proper methods of mounting. We're trying to help and sometimes that might sting a bit, but if you are mature enough you'll be able to handle it.

Also of note some of the people that this site has banned are really cool friendly people in real life. Heck, if you lived close enough to be at one of our wrench fests I'd gladly help you learn to wrench on your vehicle. But what do I know, I'm just a jerk.

You say that it won't rip out cause you just drive. Have you seen how much these antennas move around at highway speeds? Once again just trying to look out for ya.

I don't think what I've done is foolish, I think it looks fine. Some of the people that have been banned probably got tired of stuff on here and just lashed out. Most people on this forum live 3+ hours away or, at least 300 miles away.