It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Now that you've read the noob guide and are about to make your first post I would recommend that you post the following image to let people know you've read the guide.(this is also a starter to familiarize yourself with the pseudo-hypertext forum code)

To post this image you need the image address, which can be found by right clicking on the image, and then selecting "copy image address"

Then either hit the [img] button above the posting window and paste the address, or type [img] followed by the address, followed by the close image tag, [/img]

An example of what you would type would look like this:

[img]http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg[/img]

So if you copy the line of text above and paste it into a post, that will post the noob guide image exactly as above.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Incredible Guide, Sir Sam; it's daunting for someone like me who is trying to decide on buying a 2005 CRD or not. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:52 pm 
LOST Addict

machold wrote:

Incredible Guide, Sir Sam; it's daunting for someone like me who is trying to decide on buying a 2005 CRD or not. Any thoughts?

I think most of the problems that occur for CRD owners are caused by 1) not following the advice in the Noob Guide and 2)following the advice of dealerships who often misdiagnose problems.

Things like knowing that your issue is caused by a plugged fuel filter, or that its time to clean your MAP, will potentially save you thousands on a dealer visit.

I don't think you need to be an expert mechanic, but I do think you need to be able and willing to do very basic stuff on the CRD if your going to own it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm 
LOST Member

+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings, Sir Sam:

Thanks for the guide, I hope this works:

:BANANA: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :rockon: :5SHOTS: :CAMPING: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the guide, this has been really helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
machold wrote:

I think most of the problems that occur for CRD owners are caused by 1) not following the advice in the Noob Guide and 2)following the advice of dealerships who often misdiagnose problems.

Things like knowing that your issue is caused by a plugged fuel filter, or that its time to clean your MAP, will potentially save you thousands on a dealer visit.

I don't think you need to be an expert mechanic, but I do think you need to be able and willing to do very basic stuff on the CRD if your going to own it.

I have to agree with this ^^^^ I am not an expert mechanic by any means. I can change oil, most filters, clean or check sersors and belts, I can do a basic tune up on a gasser, I can do my own break pads if I have to also. I have replaced a head gasket on a car once with help but I would't try that again. If you can do some basic things and are willing to learn and read here A CRD will be a good Jeep for you.

I have never had nor do I think I will have a dealer service mine unless i find one with a good mechanic that knows CRD's, other wise a good Diesel mechanic or shop that does Sprinters and VW TDI's might be better for things you can't do on your own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:19 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Quiksilver wrote:
SirSam wrote:
the procedure for cycling the key to get the fault codes (if there is one lol)

I've never seen anyone who actually got the key cycling thing to work, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work for any of our CRDs.

It does work, but ONLY when the engine is cold for some reason.

How reliable those codes are is another argument.

It works up to 2005. After that you need a gameboy. :SOMBRERO:

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is this the fuel filter info you plan on adding?

new redesigned fuel filter head - 68043089AA
wiring adapter for it - 68043086AB
fuel filter itself - 52129238AA (NAPA: FIL 3647, WIX: 33647)http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54092

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
Lets change your oil!
Personally I would recommend the Mobile One M1-301*.
*There is some concern that the M1-301 will not fit with factory skids.

I can confirm that the M1-301 does work just fine with Factory skids.

2005 KJ CRD
GDE Eco tune | Ram/Cummins lift pump | Samco IC hoses
OME lift | Treadwright Warden 265/75R16 | front & rear hitches | Mopar skids
Uniden Pro 520XL | GlowShift boost gauge| WeatherTech mats | some other funny business

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 am 
LOST Member

will the EHM trigger the engine light? will it disable the EGR or will it still work regardless?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 am 
LOST Member

LOL :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

camo wrote:
will the EHM trigger the engine light? will it disable the EGR or will it still work regardless?

The EHM will not trigger a CEL. The EHM has nothing to do with the EGR, with the EHM the EGR will continue to work like factory.

The ORM will disable the EGR, and will also trigger a CEL, unless you do the SEGR mod.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:15 pm 
LOST Member

Thnx, i'll get my hands on a provent valve (looks a bit cleaner job) also, I would like to know how do I get a hold of a SEGR so I can do that mood. I appreciate your help.
oooo :o I just clean the map and the maf, i'll do some driving tomorrow and see how it goes. thnx

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

dustin23 wrote:
Is this the fuel filter info you plan on adding?

new redesigned fuel filter head - 68043089AA
wiring adapter for it - 68043086AB
fuel filter itself - 52129238AA (NAPA: FIL 3647, WIX: 33647)http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54092

no say?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I just bought a 2005 limited CRD and this helps me put together the bits and pieces I (thought) I knew about its quirks. It was pretty well taken care of by the original owner, but I already replaced the air filter, ordered the fuel filter head, and will be getting a GDE flash downloaded asap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

New here, and learning. I just purchased a 2005 Limited CRT; I'm a cashier at the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership where I bought my Liberty. I'm getting a strong sense that I need to enlist the help of our friend that's a mechanic to follow the noobguide (thanks for the great info!) rather than have it serviced at the dealership. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 pm 
LOST Addict

SunnyChic wrote:

New here, and learning. I just purchased a 2005 Limited CRT; I'm a cashier at the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership where I bought my Liberty. I'm getting a strong sense that I need to enlist the help of our friend that's a mechanic to follow the noobguide (thanks for the great info!) rather than have it serviced at the dealership. :?

Welcome SunnyChic!

Yes, it would be advisable to have someone other than a dealer service the vehicle.

Also....you appear to be a chicken owner as well:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Read it and Bookmarked it. Excellent post, thanks Sam!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have to say thanks guys for the terrific information. I recently purchased an 05 Liberty CRD. I created a login with Jeep so I can see what all the service that has been done on the vehicle and I automatically changed the oil. I'm currently in Colorado, live in Texas, so I don't know what dealers to use etc. I picked one of the Jeep dealers to get a second key made and they told me I really needed to change the oil in both differentials and the transfer case. I didn't let them do it for $490!! I've been reading your Noob Guide and in the mean time got a Check Engine light after taking it on some dirt roads and 4x4 trails. So today I when to the store to pick up what I needed to clean the MAP and do the Elephant hose fix. While in Woodland Park I spotted a Grease Monkey and asked what they would charge to do the Diff's and Transfer case. Used synthetic in both diffs and Type 4 in the transfer case for $177. When I asked him who was good in the area to look at my computer he offered to hook up and tell me what the code was. For free, nice guy. I guess he wants my business:) Code says intermittent temp readings on the transmission, and he reset it. The light was still on going home. Then I cleaned my MAP and completed the elephant hose fix. My 4 wheel drive system is quieter my check engine light is no longer lit and the Jeep is running well. Thanks for all the advice.

Now any thoughts on the intermittent temp reading on the transmission?? I'm currently waiting to see if it comes back.

Randy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next