It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel Fuel Additives
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:40 pm 
LOST Member

Been reading a lot about different brands of diesel fuel additives, specifically their "lubricity" capabilities and other benefits, ie: anti gelling, cetane boost, better cold starts, quieter engine operation, increased performance and fuel milage. ANY comments from anyone? Good / Bad??

Post subject: Re: Diesel Fuel Additives
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

this is the report that evaluated them
http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

Biodiesel if it's available - otherwise Power Service & 2 stroke oil
a few ounces /tank (don't really measure)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 am 
LOST Member

ATkj, Have you used two stroke oil in your CRD's tank? If so how many times? That seems like an inexpensive way to increase lubricity.

I have used Power Service before and it seems to work well. My uncle who owns and operates his own truck swears by Howe's to remove the water and then FTTP for the anti-gelling. There is a local store that buys closeouts from random places and resells it for pretty cheap and my dad bought some treatment there. It was made for GE and is a 1:3000 mixture ratio so he bought 5 gallons for $20 and that should will last both of us for many many miles. I personally add treatment to prevent gelling and to remove water in the winter. With that said any type of treatment for diesel is better than none.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:01 pm 
LOST Member

METCRD: I've read on other sites, people that "have" used 2 stroke "ashless" oil in their "older" diesels ie: ford 7.3's and Cummins. Most have claimed that the 2 stroke oil did "not" effect their milage either way, but "did" quiet down their engines quite a bit. I'm a little apprehensive to try it in my 06 CRD, thinking it may mess up the fuel filter or system somewhere, so I'll probably stick to the Diesel Kleen additives.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:00 am 
LOST Member

bhc04 wrote:
Been reading a lot about different brands of diesel fuel additives, specifically their "lubricity" capabilities and other benefits, ie: anti gelling, cetane boost, better cold starts, quieter engine operation, increased performance and fuel milage. ANY comments from anyone? Good / Bad??

I have been tracking my mileage in a speadsheet making regular trips of 700 miles for 87k miles mostly on cruise at 65 MPH. I have tried several different additives. I have never been able to detect any difference in mileage that couldn't be explained by wind, rain, load, temperature, speed, etc. If I believed the math and ignored everything else, which I don't, then my CRD got lower mileage using additives.

Now, if an additive keeps fuel from gelling or your fuel pump from failing then that's something else entirely. I don't use any.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:22 am 
LOST Member

CRD got lower mileage using additives.

You know, I've suspected the same thing but with all the different road, traffic, weather conditions on several of my long trips (AZ. to No. CA. and WA.) can't really say additives have made a milage difference for the advertised "improvement" read on the containers. My driving habits are consistant: Drive about 2-5 miles over highway speed limit, use cruise control when applicable. Don't lane change a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A guy I know who worked in alternative fuels for the military said “Power Service” was crap compared to other brands. He said that the military is extremely picky about fuel and fuel additives, and their testing is very rigorous. I asked about Amsoil, and he said Amsoil met their qualifications but Power Service did not. Although, our conversation primarily centered around cold flow rather than lubrication.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well - the 2 additives I use are for 2 different issues - Powerservice helps clean up water issues & Improve Cetane - and I do see about a 1 mpg improvement if I add enough - now whether that's cost effective is a different issue - but the mileage improvement is consistent.
also when I did get a bad tank of fuel - it really helped until I could change the filter & get good diesel.

The 2 stroke oil - there's not a good way to measure unless you pull things apart and measure the wear - I'm trying to avoid that, so I have some confidence that the HFRR wear scar test translates to wear on the engine bearing/piston skirts.

now if the military has data - they normally publish it - and when I searched on biodiesel - I found reports - that basically said some of it was good - some of it was trash - and they didn't have a good way to measure it incoming, so they didn't use it - that's not saying it's bad -that's just saying there no standards.
If they have a report on additives I'd be interested in reading it - but you have to be aware that their engines are designed for different environments than a commercial engines - so make sure you read the details of what they said and why, it can make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 am 
LOST Addict

I've use both PowerService and TC-w3 2-stroke engine oil. Both are easy to find at Walmart.
I dont think I get much improved mileage using either but definitely not worse.
Lately I've only been using TC-w3 at 8-10 oz. per tank.
Works just fine and its improved lubricity gives me some piece-of-mind. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been using Red Line for over 2 years, quiets the engine and makes her run more smoothly. Huge difference. Don't really care about upping the mileage just want the engine happy. Oh it does run $7 per bottle. But I only use it every other month. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Howdy to all.

The main killer of a Cat Converter is oil. Using 2 stroke oil may just do that for you.

Use a good quality fuel, especially when it is cold.

Under Bumper Driving Lights
Roof Mounted Spot Lights
LED Backup Lights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

theirishman wrote:
Howdy to all.

The main killer of a Cat Converter is oil. Using 2 stroke oil may just do that for you.

Use a good quality fuel, especially when it is cold.

Ashless 2 stroke has a higher BTU. Tests have shown that appropriate amounts of blended 2 cycle will safely burn, leaving a fairly clean exhaust.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

I run "Diesel Power" additives (made by the makers of stabil, and heet), it is alcohol free and the "complete" ups cetane 4 points and protects from gelling down to -40F. I run the +7 cetane boost from them in the warmer months $7 a bottle thru my International dealer/repair shop. My vegistroked 7.3 likes it too (gain 1.9 MPG in the excursion, haven't measured gains on jeep)..........H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

For my 06 CRD I only worry about lubricity and use B5 biodiesel and when I can't get it, I add 8oz of low ash 2 stroke oil and 6 oz of powerservice to the fuel tank.

My wife's 07 CRD gets 1 quart of B100 biodiesel and 6 oz of powerservice per tank of fuel. I don't feel comfortable w B5 and that pesky DPF filter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you can find biodiesel use that! If you cant use some of the others that topped the list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

crdmom wrote:
I've been using Red Line for over 2 years, quiets the engine and makes her run more smoothly. Huge difference. Don't really care about upping the mileage just want the engine happy. Oh it does run $7 per bottle. But I only use it every other month. :D

Am I misunderstanding your post, or do you not add Red Line to every tank? Most diesel fuel additive manufacturers recommend adding their product at each fill-up for optimum performance and benefit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I vote for the biodiesel as well. Since I've been able to use it at least every other tank or so I haven't had any problems. I'm fortunate to have a 24 hour self serve place that has a 5%-15% mixture on my way to work.

Also, don't forget to open her open once a week if you don't do much highway driving.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Even 2% biodiesel has better lubricating properties than any off the shelf diesel fuel additive. :goink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I tend to switch between Power service and Lucas. BioDiesel is best when you can get it. the place I used to get Bio burned to the ground so not sure where to find bio now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

dieselenthusiast wrote:
crdmom wrote:

Am I misunderstanding your post, or do you not add Red Line to every tank? Most diesel fuel additive manufacturers recommend adding their product at each fill-up for optimum performance and benefit.

I don't add Red Line to every tank, usually every 3. I am sure it would be awesome to add to every tank but just don't have that kind of cash. Especially with diesel prices right now. But I can definitely tell the difference if I go a little too long.