It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KK Igntion Coil Bolt, Spark Plug Removal 2009+ Liberty 3.7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, need help!

32,000 miles on my 2009 KK Liberty 3.7 V6. Everyone, including Chrysler says it's time to change the plugs as they are standard copper. I've performed all other maintenance so I figured I'd changed them myself rather than overpaying at the stealership.

I read tons of posts, watched YouTube videos (most were about the KJ with the same motor which I used to own). I bought the same NGK plugs the Jeep came with, gapped them properly to .043.

The first exception I found is that the 2009+ KK 3.7 V6 no longer has an ignition coil over each plug. Instead, they now have one coil over each driver's side plug and then a short wire and standard boot over to the passenger side (so a total of only 3 coils and 3 wires). At first this was a welcome site; reminded me of the 3.4 motors in my Toyota Tacomas and seemed like less work.

But...

The second exception is that the coils are now held down but 10mm hex bolts that thread into the top of the manifold, rather than 10mm hex nuts that thread onto threaded studs.

Here's the problem: I attempted to remove those 10mm hex bolts, then unthread up pretty far and feel like they release but you cannot remove them entirely- the somehow stay attached in the top of the engine preventing the coil from coming free. No matter what you do, you cannot remove the coil bolts from the holes in the engine top (almost as if there is a locking mechanism holding the bolt underneath). As a result, the coil can't be removed or lifted far up enough to access the plug.

I called the local dealer and the advisor didn't know. I called a private shop and he said he'd cut them because my car's cheap piece crap; I won't be going there anymore.

All three bolts behave the same way so it's NOT a defect. It's obviously by design. I found one posting from someone with a 2009 Nitro 3.7 V6 complaining of the same thing and no answers. Extensively searching, I've found nothing.

I'm guessing Chrysler has done this to make it necessary to take to the dealer for service (possibly because of the lifetime drivetrain warranties).

Anyone know what I'm talking about??? Anyone figured out how to remove the driver's side ignition coil bolts? It's definitely going to affect all of us with 2009+ Liberty/Nitro 3.7's who want to change our own spark plugs...

Thanks!
Ted

Post subject: Re: KK Igntion Coil Bolt, Spark Plug Removal 2009+ Liberty 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If i do recall the firwt time i did it they were snug... use a little muscle

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your reply Jeep_it_real...

Unfortunately it's not a matter of them being snug... I loosen them with a 10mm socket no problem, they turn counter-clockwise and appear to come up and out and inch or two. You actually feel the bolts release from their threads, but you go to pull them out and they down come out; their just loose in the holes being held in by something and just spin and spin. You attempt to pull up and out and something in there just goes clink, clink, clink...

The bolt goes through the fitting on the coil, below that is something that looks like a washer which obscures what is actually down in the threaded bore. Whatever is down there won't let go.

I tried using grips to put upward pressure on them while unscrewing them from the engine, tried angling, twisting, tried holding the washer (or whatever) underneath in the same position so it wouldn't spin. They are free to turn at that point but don't come out of the engine if that makes sense. You get some mobility for the coil but not enough to lift it out and away.

You can tighten the bolts back down into their original positions but that's it. Loosening them as far as possible results in the same thing every time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

The dealership wanted over $300 to replace my spark plugs and then argued that the vehicle is supposed to have Champion spark plugs even though it came with NGK's from the factory.

So I called the manager or a local shop I've gone to in the past. He was way cool, said bring it and my new plugs down, and we'd figure it out. Well, Jeepin_it_real was right. Thanks for your answer. I thought you might have had a model before 2009 and didn't know what I was referring to.

The sleeves around the bolts, down in the manifold, were snug. He pulled a lot harder than I had and two came right up. The one in the front was far more stubborn but eventually came free.

It's no more complicated than than. I now have my new NGK plugs in with a .043 gap and know how to replace them in the future. And man, one of the plugs that came out was so rusty and burned up at 32,000 miles.

Thanks to everyone who answered.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

$300 bucks for a spark plug change?? Yikes!

Silverstars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no problem... that's why we are all here, to help each other.

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 am 
LOST Addict

I don't know about newer KK's but my VECI sticker has the NGK p/n for the plugs printed on it...

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

peiscooter wrote:
$300 bucks for a spark plug change?? Yikes!

Think that's bad try a GENIII 4.7 V8 with 16 plugs and need a special socket for 8 of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was getting a P0301 error code (Misfire Cyl 1) and my KK was nearly undriveble. I tried changing my plugs last night, ran into the same problem with the coil and did not want to break anything on my new-to-me Jeep.

Thanks to reading this post last night I was able to change my plugs on lunch today.

I just wanted to add that I found it took a lot less force to pry with a flat head between the manifold & metal collar (looked like a washer after loosening the bolt). A very light twist with a wide blade and it popped RIGHT out, no problems. I would guess the dealer uses a tool similar to a ball joint separator to pop these out.

Hope that describes it, I was pressed for time and was unable to take any pics.

Edit: Also, sorry for bumping an old post, but thought it was relevant info for others that I was unable to find elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 am 
LOST Newbie

This is just the info I was looking for,, I will give it a try on my 2012 Liberty in a few hours.. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes worked great... Took me 1-1/2 hr with test drive... runs great champion double platinum, 5 year warranty.Unlimited milage...
The OEM, NGK ZFR6F 11G are recommended replacement at 32,000.
The coil packs came out once the 10 mm bolt was fully loosened wires disconnected and I pulled with both hands..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:26 am 
LOST Addict

Glad this has been solved. Don't know why they had to change things for the newer KKs.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 am 
LOST Newbie

This might be why my kk is getting crappy mileage! I will change the plugs when i get back from vacation.

Don't forget anti-seize so you don't strip out the aluminum heads!

Nerf Bars
+ More to come

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Took out the NGK "R's" and put in autolite spark plugs. The gas mileage has improved. They were tight to remove, but i didnt see any anti-seize on the plugs. I put some on and snugged them up. took about 25 min. Sooo easy on this vehicle.

Nerf Bars
+ More to come

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the spark plug removal tips.

I'm no mechanic, but the six plugs took less than 45 minutes to replace.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 pm 
LOST Addict

HOWARD wrote:
Thanks for the spark plug removal tips.

I'm no mechanic, but the six plugs took less than 45 minutes to replace.

Glad you found our tips handy. :seuss: It's good to know they're easy to remove and replace just in case you ever have to check them for various reasons. :roll:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

So I've changed plugs on my Jeep Patriot, but the 2009 Liberty has a much different setup. I can't find the plugs on the passanger side of the engine. I know these don't come with coils.

Can anyone tell me where these are and how to remove the plug? Also, what do you have to move to get to them?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeeperSC wrote:
So I've changed plugs on my Jeep Patriot, but the 2009 Liberty has a much different setup. I can't find the plugs on the passanger side of the engine. I know these don't come with coils.

Can anyone tell me where these are and how to remove the plug? Also, what do you have to move to get to them?

Follow the plug wires to the plugs on the passenger side.Same location in the passenger side head as the drivers side head.