It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Relocate Winch Controller
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Took me a couple of weeks to finally complete this project

I have a T-Max winch and discovered that I could no longer winch out anymore. I narrowed it down to a bad solenoid. If you've opened up your winch control box most of them have either two or four high voltage solenoids one(set) for winch out and one(set) for winch in. I believe Warn uses 4 for redundancy/reliability, and to split the current between two relays, but most other winch mfgs use 2 higher amp units.

The T-MAX has two solenoids. I tested the relays by applying 12 volts to the relay inputs (the two terminals above the yellow stickers with the small gauge wires attached.

I decided that while I was at it, might as well relocate the controller under the hood and clear that big obstruction from the grill.

So First step was to get a new solenoid. Found exactly what I needed on ebay for $23, but a little more research I found a dual solenoid in a nice little package for $65 with free shipping. This unit looked like it would be easier to find a spot for it under the hood than the trying to find a spot for the stock unit.

Post subject: Re: Relocate Winch Controller
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Stock cables were designed for mounting the unit on top of the winch so they were way too short. I priced out some 2 guage wire at Home Depot and was shocked at the price. Went down to Tractor supply and found some very nice 2 gauge welding cable at a fair price, and bought 18ft. I reused the ground cable which was long enough. Could have reused the power lead to solenoid, but had enough welding cable to replace it, so I did. You should measure, but I think 14 feet would be more than enough to replace the three motorleads. Also bought #2 lugs from Tractor Supply and some rubber connection boots off of ebay.

Ok, now to find a spot for it. Right behind the driverside headlight. There is a nice bracket there that I can modify to mount the solenoid.

So I cut out a piece of steel and welded to the bracket, Drilled and tapped a couple of holes for the solenoid and painted it.

Ran the cables from the solenoid to the winch, Solenoid to the battery and wired up the hand control socket.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

All cleaned up.
Schematic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That is a very clean set up. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did not see the bracket I used installed in any of the gas Liberty's I looked at this weekend during the Illinois wrenchfest. Every one of the Jeeps (02-05) had the mounting point on the fender for the bracket, but none had the bracket.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Added winch controls to the center console. Toggle switch UP=in, DWN=out, LED Arm switch

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good job. Someday I'd like to wire remote switches for my winch into inside my KK.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN: