It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Running fine?
Yes 91%  91%  [ 134 ]
No 9%  9%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 147
 Post subject: So whos CRD is running just fine?
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Seems like when new people come by or someone is potentially thinking about buying a CRD they come onto the forum and all they see are problems.

Of course the reason behind this is when your CRD is running just fine you don't have any problems to post.

So we got a poll, you can select yes or no and change it when you need to, so right now jinstall would select no, geordi would select yes(at least I think he would right now). Drewd would be a no......and so on....

Post subject: Re: So whos CRD is running just fine?
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At just under 40k miles, on the factory tires yet, other than routine maintenance I've replaced the 1st gen fuel head due to a tiny heater element leak and air in the line and proactively replaced the plastic window regulator parts (a "Jeep" issue not a KJ CRD issue) with Steigers even though mine were working fine and did the Samco hose installation but again not because I had to.

Seeing the issues doesn't bother me especially when I also see fixes or how to avoid them, which explains some of the stuff I've done, and also probably explains why I have a KJ CRD, my son (stoutdog) has one, and friends from work just bought one.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Sun May 29, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

2006 82K

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
At just under 40k miles, on the factory tires yet.

Those tires suck, get rid of them asap.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine is a little sick right at the moment...went in to limp mode yesterday after towing my utility trailer up a hill (I romped it a little to blow the soot out). Seems slow to wrap up the turbo now, especially after I romped it up the same hill today, but without the trailer.
I'm searching for a solution now...
Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated......

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X2 CRD running fine, hope I did not jinx my self?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SmokinJoe wrote:
Mine is a little sick right at the moment...went in to limp mode yesterday after towing my utility trailer up a hill (I romped it a little to blow the soot out). Seems slow to wrap up the turbo now, especially after I romped it up the same hill today, but without the trailer.

That always happens on a good romp when the fuel filter is plugged or air in fuel, LHM.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SmokinJoe wrote:

clogged Fuel filter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

101,000 and running like a sewing machine. In fact, it ran and drove better than the 2011 Wrangler Unlimited I traded it for. I do miss that CRD/545RFE combo. :cry:

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've definitely got air. New filter head 5000mi. ago didn't solve it. Guess I'll drop the tank and rid this thing of those crap connectors and maybe install a lift pump while I'm at it.The first thing I thought of was the fuel filter but talked myself out of it today only because the one on it has 5000mi. on it.
Looks like Napa is gonna get some business.
Other than this, its been running pretty well.
Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

71,000 miles. While I bought her with a suncoast already installed all Ive done since 42,000 is brakes and oil changes. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

152,xxx lifted 31's and driven daily and its been perfect for 5 years. Never had a major issue and yes it is wheeled :mrgreen:

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 pm 
LOST Member

Mine is running pretty good. I bought it with 69K miles.; it now has about 85,500. The t-stat and fan clutch were both bad when I bought it and the EGR was problematic. A GDE ecotune took care of that. I had a 60 cent mini fuse blow and it stopped everything.

I've done all suggested mods except lift pump. That will be next. Have not had any air in fuel problems. The fuel manager head had been replaced by the dealer before I bought it.

PS I do have the 30 second hesitation before trans engages on a cold start. Why yes, I had the trans serviced by a dealership who apparently used Mopar filters. May go with flman's check valve mod.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 am 
LOST Addict

Owning a CRD is a bit like any relationship, when you're in love you you see everything through rose tinted spectacles and are prepared to overlook or completely miss issues that are obvious to an outsider. You will lavish your partner with gifts (or mods) thinking that it will make things better but all you are doing is masking the underlying problems.

I believe people come here in search of answers and go away with a solution (or not) but are not hanging around to respond to polls. OTOH, this forum is full of enthusiasts who will likely vote yes until their engine falls out so I would expect the result to be skewed to the yes side. I currently have FCV, window and thermostat issues so must vote no. I also know that I'm soon going to have to replace all 4 GP's, controller and either have the ECM re-flashed by the dealer or get a GDE tune because Chrysler made some bad design choices. To compound matters I can't even do anything about the thermostat because the gasket is on national back order.

The sort of questions a potential purchaser should be asking are what problems am I likely to have outside the regular maintenance schedule and how much will these cost me to fix, once fixed is it going to fail again, what mods and preventative upgrades have been done so far, what mods are still required and how much will they cost, what is the cost of spares, are required parts actually available or will they be on long term back order when I need them, is there an availability of aftermarket (non-Mopar branded) parts, what is the density of high ticket items and their likelihood of failure. More importantly, can I do my own maintenance because you can be sure that your local dealer doesn't have any experience with this vehicle. For high ticket items I'm referring to injectors, injection pump, viscous heater, turbo etc etc as this vehicle has a significant number of such dealer only high cost items.

Knowing what I know now would I have dropped $32K on a new CRD back in 2006? Absolutely not. Don't get me wrong, it's a great vehicle that sits in a class of it's own - compact, solid, fuel efficient and very capable as a towing vehicle. If I was in the market now and had the chance to buy one fully modded and with a good service history, a hefty discount may be sufficient to sway me into taking the risk.

BTW, there are at least two others that have reported current issues on this thread but at least one of them has declined to vote or voted yes.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:49 am 
LOST Member

Almost 71K on it, it's running good. I do have some maintinence to do to it in the next few months.

2006 Limited CRD 4x4 Inferno Red, GDE ECO tune

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 am 
LOST Junkie

Sam's right, I voted no. I believe the longest I've gone without a check engine or other light coming on the dash has been 4 months in 5 years of ownership. Its a Jeep thing and my wife's Grand Cherokee crd appears to be headed down the same path needing a new alternator at 25k miles and now has an low oil pressure issue-hope its the sensor.

Why can't Nissan bring a diesel SUV to the US. The liberty and GC are my 26th and 27th vehicles respectively that I've owned in the past 24 years and hold the distinction of being the most problematic. VW has Jeep beat when it comes to reliability and that's coming from a person who owned an 04 and 06 TDI that aren't known as being that reliable either.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:19 pm 
LOST Member

She runs like a top! Only things I've done is routine maintenance, no major issues. I do need to get my timing belt changed, but that's it. Oh, and I bought her some new wheels! They will be black soon, pooooooooooor man's rock stars :ROTFL: :pepper:

People who say it can't be done should not interrupt me when Im doing it!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Timing belt
standard fuel head issues plus one fuel rail pressure control valve.

Still love it, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 pm 
LOST Member

91,000 miles and runs very well. Got the GDE reflash done, and have a Provent and Samco hoses. Also, have a Kennedy lift pump and a Racor prefilter, plus a new Jeep filter head. Some minor problems, such as the alternator pulley and radio problems, but with the help here, they are easily fixed. The only recent thing noticed is that while all the glow plugs check out, it is a little harder to start when cold. But, as far as I'm concerned, it's been a good vehicle and I would buy another if available.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

I just hit 82,000 and got caught up on a crapload of scheduled maintenance that I've been procrastinating on. She's purring like a kitten. Heading out for a couple weeks in the Colorado backcountry next Friday!