It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Codes, codes, and more codes.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

How many codes can one jeep have is the question I ask? From experience it is possible to have at least 9. I went into limp mode or what I believe to be limp mode, yesterday morning and tonight I just checked the codes by the ignition switch trick. Here is what I got:

P0522
P0426
P0523
P299
P0096
P2266
P0540
P0120
b1061

I did a quick search of a list of codes from the site but the problem I ran into was that some of the numbers weren't on the list. I am heading to autozone now to have them translate my list for me and hope to begin the process of fixing it. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. I am hoping for positive solution finding input..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by METCRD on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Codes, codes, and more codes.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:12 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the link, I did however already look at the codes listed and I had a few codes that were not listed. I just got back from the parts store and here are the possible problems:

1. Oil pressure sensor is bad or there is a short in the related wiring

2. Water in fuel sensor is bad or there is a short in the related wiring

3. Throttle position sensor is bad or possible short in related wiring.

Basically I think I am looking for a short in the wiring. I did buy an oil pressure sensor to possibly replace it with, but at $45 I am going to look for shorted wires first. I really do not like electrical problems....not that anybody loves trouble shooting them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:26 am 
LOST Junkie

METCRD wrote:
Thanks for the link, I did however already look at the codes listed and I had a few codes that were not listed. I just got back from the parts store and here are the possible problems:

1. Oil pressure sensor is bad or there is a short in the related wiring

2. Water in fuel sensor is bad or there is a short in the related wiring

3. Throttle position sensor is bad or possible short in related wiring.

Basically I think I am looking for a short in the wiring. I did buy an oil pressure sensor to possibly replace it with, but at $45 I am going to look for shorted wires first. I really do not like electrical problems....not that anybody loves trouble shooting them.

You need to try and find a circuit diagram for your model KJ...I fortunately have a complete diagram for my 2002 CRD and have had to use it on numerous occasions. I dont know about the LHD models but on my RHD 2002 KJ the wiring does not take the shortest route from point to point....a few days ago I had to trace a bad wire in the harness somewhere...the signal had to go about 18 inches from the ECU to the relay box in front of the battery...the actual harness route is from the ECU going in an anticlockwise direction below the windscreen, through a connector near the airbox, below the radiator and finally up to the relay box...a total distance of about 7 feet probably. :x
I replaced the wire with an 18 inch one :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It it were an 06 I would say to check the harness that goes from the top of the engine to behind the fuel filter head. But since it's an 05 I would disconnect the batery and reseat the connectors to the ECM. You may want to check the harness anyway :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 2006 FSM "e" copy that Sir Sam's NOOB guide links to has, embedded in it, the diagnostic manuals that are separate for the 2005 model year. That includes the codes, what they mean, and what to look for based on each code. Unfortunately the codes are not in a nice clean list but you can find them by using the Edit and Find function in Adobe Reader. Both FSM's have the wiring diagrams.

X2 on Joe's comment especially to check the harness behind the fuel filter anyway, even though it's a 2005, as lots of stuff goes thru that single harness.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:36 am 
LOST Member

I believe I have downloaded the 2005 FSM from the noob guide. I was using it to look at the wiring diagrams, but was having some difficulty deciding where to start. Thanks for the suggestions on checking the wiring harness behind the fuel filter, I think I will start there. All the code explanations that I received from the autoparts store all seemed to say something about a short in the wiring so my gut feel is that there is a problem in the wiring. I am going to look through those wiring diagrams again before I tear into it, hopefully it will make sense now that I have gotten some sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 pm 
LOST Member

While removing multiple parts (ie. coolant reservoir, turbo heat shield, all wire shielding, fuel filter, fuel filter bracket) I was thinking bigger picture than just shorted wires. After removing all the above items and still not being able to see where the oil pressure sensor wire came out from between the transmission bellhousing and the firewall I went back to the FSM. Upon reading about all the gauges I now have illuminated while the vehicle is running (WIF, Oil pressure, Low fuel, MIL) I was seeing a trend. All the sensors for these gauges are all controlled through the PCM. I am wondering if the PCM can be checked to see if there is an internal problem with it. I am going to call a dealer and talk to the service guys and see if they can test to see if it is faulty. Hopefully they can do that, but we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:39 pm 
LOST Member

you might try reseating of the connectors on the PCM and ECM. disconnect the battery first..
clear the codes the go for a drive.

-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

When reading codes from the cluster, you have to transpose the last two digits:

P0522 Oil Pressure Sensor feedback circuit low / short to ground
P0426 P0462 - Fuel Level Sensor feedback circuit circuit low / short to ground
P0523 P532 - A/C Pressure Sensor Circuit Low / Short to Ground
P0299 Underboost
P0096 P0069 - Plausibility between Air Pressure Sensor (on airbox) and Boost Pressure Sensor (intake) at key on
P2266 Water-In-Fuel feedback circuit low / short to ground
P0540 P0504 - Plausbility between main brake switch and redundant brake switch
P0120 P0102 - Mass Air Flow sensor Circuit Low / Short to Ground
b1061 This nor B1016 are valid codes

The oil pressure, fuel level, water-in-fuel, and a/c head pressure sensors are connected to the gateway module, not the PCM. The gateway module (under FCM in front of vehicle) sends the voltage for the sensors to the PCM, to be converted into a physical value and also diagnosed.
For the brake switches one operates opposite of the other: i.e., when the main switch is closed, the redundant is open and vice versa. This you'll need to check the wiring back to the brake switch under the dash (both 'switches' are in the same component)
The P0299 could be related to the P0102 and the P0069, but could also be split boost hoses.

With all the faults being short to ground, I would start looking for some wiring that is rubbed through and touching ground. I would also check the connectors to the gateway module which should be under the battery tray, I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 pm 
LOST Member

Mr. Mopar thank you for the insight into reading the codes from the cluster. That would explain the issues I was having with finding them in the FSM. Being in limp mode one of the first things I did was to remove both boost hoses and inspect them for any locations of failure. After looking at them they looked in good condition, which I expected as I only have 29,000 on the odometer and the EHM was done at 20,000. I will begin inspecting wires that are under the dash and see what I can find.

MrMopar64 wrote:
For the brake switches one operates opposite of the other: i.e., when the main switch is closed, the redundant is open and vice versa. This you'll need to check the wiring back to the brake switch under the dash (both 'switches' are in the same component)
The P0299 could be related to the P0102 and the P0069, but could also be split boost hoses.

With all the faults being short to ground, I would start looking for some wiring that is rubbed through and touching ground. I would also check the connectors to the gateway module which should be under the battery tray, I believe.

Brake switches? As in the switch that is depressed by the brake pedal? I will do some looking around as well. Thank you for all the input.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was changing my oil the other day and I noticed that the plastic shroud that covers the top of the engine and is held on by the oil cap, was rubbing the wiring harness that runs along the firewall by the fuel filter. It had already rubbed through the outside shielding and exposed the wires. Luckily, the wires were still in tact and I re-wrapped the area to protect them. I thought to myself: Self, this could have been a wiring nightmare! If it happened on my Liberty, I bet it could be a problem on others. Just a spot to check. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yes, of all the wires going to the brake switch, one is for the 'main' switch and another for the 'redundant' switch. These two circuit feed directly to the PCM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

I scavenged around under the hood this evening looking at all wires trying to find a frayed wire, non did I see. I disconnected the battery then disconnected the ECM connectors, the gateway module where it connects to the FCM and blew everything out with compressed air. I reconnected everything and it still was not happy with the Low fuel, oil light, and WIF light, along with the MIL. I went back under the hood and I think it is the PCM (passenger side of engine bay) had both mounting bolts about ready to fall off. They looked as if someone had only put them on hand tight. I tightened them down and went back to the drivers seat and when I started it up there were no lights other than the MIL. I limped to autozone and had the codes check since I was unable to get them to appear on the display again. I bought a new brake switch and cleared all codes (underboost, MAF code from the EHM, and air pressure to boost pressure code). Drove home still in limp an had a MIL by the time I got home. I am going to change out my fuel filter and see if it is clogged due to a tank a bio I filled up on during our trip to Moab. I will try to post something more conclusive and a little more structured tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:00 pm 
LOST Member

Ah Ha!!! I think I found the offending wires! When I got home I headed out to the jeep disappointed that I hadn't found any melted wires the other night so I decided to pull the jeep up on ramps, roll under it with the creeper, and talk in hushed tones to her until I found the shorted wires. I rolled under and took a deep breath and began to stare longingly up into the engine bay when my eyes settled on a wiring bundle they had not seen before. Quickly I reached up to feel for melted wires and I was not disappointed. I pulled them down and separated those that were now joined together and then taped up each wire that seemed to be exposed/melted. I removed both battery cables for 10 minutes and fired it back up to find myself still in limp mode with the MIL still on. I guess I will have to go check and then clear the codes at autozone. Hopefully those were all the problem wires that I have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

METCRD
Are these wires up around the transmission? If so OldSkull had a similiar situation when his torque converter was replaced and a cable was not properly secured. He chased that bug for months. At one point it looked like the Transmission Control Module (TCM). It's possible that's why your TCM was loose :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 pm 
LOST Member

Joe, you are a mind reader. Indeed the wires up near the top of the transmission drivers side above the starter.

I went to autozone and had the codes read/cleared but still running rough, won't go above 2,000 rpm and very smokey at time so I'm still in limp mode. Now that all the lights are off I thought that it would run correctly. Not sure where to go from here.

The codes were:

P0402
P0299
P0069
P0183

Would a bad EGR cause a low boost issue, or do I have a boost pressure sensor that is bad?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

P0402-EGR SOLENOID CIRCUIT POSITIVE DEVIATION
P0299-BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR POSITIVE DEVIATION

I cannot find what the other 2 codes are in the 2006 FSM or the 2005 diagnostic manuals. That said the most common cause I've seen on the forum for boost issues, smoke and low power is in the turbo>intercooler>engine loop typically a split in the bottom of one of the 2 hoses although I suppose a significant intercooler leak would have the same effect. If you haven't already done so remove each of those hoses from the engine and carefully inspect manually. Don't try to check on the engine; too many folks have tried that and not found leaks they later found with the hose off the engine. Fix is Samcos or new 2n gen OEM. FYI while you have the turbo to intercooler hose off pull your air box to turbo hose and make sure it's not ripped at the turbo end.

If that's not it things may get complicated.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Take the hose off the flow control valve and check the butterfly flap. It should be open with the engine off and make sure it's free and springs back open.

There are codes that don't show that only the dealer's scanner and other expensive ones can see. Your EGR valve could be stuck open. They can be cleaned after taking the electrical part off the top.
You could also have vacuum line problem. Check them over by the TCM. There's a solenoid valve there that could be bad also. GDE posted a methode to trouble shoot it by bypaiing it but I don't remember more about that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:11 pm 
LOST Member

I pulled off the hose and stuck my fingers into the EGR and it had some movement. I am not sure home much movement it should have. I was expecting it to move like a carb and open all the way but I would estimate it turned maybe 5 to 10 degrees.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

I am posting this is a cautious fashion because I am not sure what I did......but it runs. And I am getting boost! I went back out and was going to put everything back together for the night and I thought that I would just flap the butterfly valve a few more times just for kicks. It moved back and forth the way it did when I first tried it out and felt no different. Miffed I put the hose back on and decided to start it up. She fired up and after a slight hesitation at 2,000 rpm she kept climbing so I took it to 3,000 rpm. She left a great sigh of relief out evident by the monstrous black cloud of fumes. I took her for a spin and she seems to be running right although the MIL came back on. I am going to go get it checked maybe tomorrow to see what code or codes have been thrown. I haven't had much luck after the first time to get the codes to appear on the instrument cluster. From what I have read that seems pretty common to have difficulty getting them from there so I am not too worried. I hope to be able to buy a code scanner in the future so I can cut out this nonsense of going to the parts store to get them read. Thanks all for the help and input I really appreciate it and hope I can return the favor when others are in need.

Now it's time to go.... :JEEPIN: