It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Suspension lift kit for towing and, 4x4 2006 CRD KJ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I want to get some opinions on the good bad and, uglys before I get one on this CRD. MY 2007 Gasser KJ has a Rock Krawler 3.5 lift that works for now but, soon will be replaced. I have been looking at Jeepin By Als kits 4" for both would be nice but, wow$$$$. Frankenlift has a good kit but, need more info. Talk to me fellas! Let me know your opinions on which way to go on this. My soon to purchase list also includes, Provent, Lift pump, GDE Hot tune+ trans tune, Transgo Kit, Fumoto drain, Samco Hoses. Thanks for your help.

I am a 38yr old dad/papa who loves to have fun. I do my wheeling at a crawl cuz I luv to feel the KJ pull. I have taken mine places where many other rigs stopped or chose another route but, hey thats where the fun is. Like they say "Get out and, have fun in a Jeep"

Post subject: Re: Best Suspension lift kit for towing and, 4x4 2006 CRD KJ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:45 am 
LOST Member

personally, I don't see lifts and towing going together very well, especially if you're at the limit for towing capacity. I already have to run a 4" drop off the hitch just to keep my car trailer level, so for every inch of lift you add it's another inch of drop on the bar you'd need. at some point it has to be a concern as it's no longer just pulling on the hitch but now it's also a twisting torque on the hitch as well as the drop bar itself. the more drop the more amplified the torque becomes; no different than using a longer breaker bar to get a stuck bolt to release (or, break!) just my opinion.

are you replacing the gasser with a CRD? or are you keeping both? if the latter why not leave the CRD alone so it has the proper ability to tow as well as road manners and morph the gasser into more of the offroad animal?

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Probably a good idea my wife has the CRD and, only wants about 2 inches of lift added. My gasser is the 07 KJ and, it is going 4" lift but, whats cool is now with the coilover rear load shocks from Monroe I have found a perfect set for both 2" and, 4" lift with 60lb spring rates perfect lengths. Its good to be a parts guy with access to all that info.ha ha. My 07 tows great with the 3.5" lift now but, I still want a more complete kit. IE: JBA etc.

I am a 38yr old dad/papa who loves to have fun. I do my wheeling at a crawl cuz I luv to feel the KJ pull. I have taken mine places where many other rigs stopped or chose another route but, hey thats where the fun is. Like they say "Get out and, have fun in a Jeep"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 am 
LOST Addict

I have the FL II and I've towed a 6K lb trailer from coast to coast twice and I've done tons of miles offroad.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I did the OME springs when the stock springs failed.
For shocks I copied the other guys.
Ended up with 4+" lift. When I went to 215 85 16 it seemed too tall. Been that way for a few years.
Tows a trailer near the 5,000lb capacity quite well. Surprisingly!!!
I suggest in hindsight, 1" of lift to get it to design specs (it is a chick car and chicks did roll 'em so Jeep lowered them 1") and 215 85 16 for another inch would be my idea of perfect.

'06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD with: GDE Hot Flash and Tranny Flash, ehm, Cummins fuel pump, 3" Magnaflow muff, Moog K3199's, Skids, 225-75-16 10 ply, OME springs, Euro T/C, Shift kit, Trans cooler w/thermal bypass, Bigboy bkt, Samco CAC, Brake controller, Trans temp gauge, Al's Upper Arms

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Look over here at my recommendations. viewtopic.php?p=679796#p679796

For the CRD, just replace the OME 927 springs with the OME 790 springs. CRD is a little more limited in max lift you can go because of shorter CV shaft up front. If you are comfortable compressing springs to dis-assemble and re-assemble the front coil-overs, you can get about the same lift amount as the Frankie on you gasser with 3/8" top spacer, 927 springs, and a 3 ring clevis lift to boost it. DIY will save you a couple hundred bucks. Then add isos or ABS alternative spacers to the rear to level it out.

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

x2 on OME springs. 2" is more than enough. I have the Monroe Load leveler shocks in the back. Have worked well for me. I haven't towed anything heavy since I added them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Subscribing.

Thanks all who posted for your knowledge.