It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 06 crd won't always crank.... problem found!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

update: my dad has replaced the actuator pin with the Napa part, but says that the key has more resistance to turning and now the oil light, brake light, and one other are always on. after playing with everything some more, he found that everything works fine until he tightens down the mounting bolt for the ignition switch box. so he thought it was a grounding issue and stuck a piece of rubber in there and everything seems to work, including the key turns more freely.

thoughts? grounding? maybe binding?

1 Diesel Liberty and 2 and a half Comanches

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:39 am 
LOST Newbie

"I will say this only once" ........ change Ignition starter switch/box ( AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S5932)

'09 Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

and I've told him that. multiple times. :banghead: I can't make him do it. :roll: and since I'm 700 miles away, I can't even just go do it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Pete M wrote:
update: my dad has replaced the actuator pin with the Napa part, but says that the key has more resistance to turning and now the oil light, brake light, and one other are always on. after playing with everything some more, he found that everything works fine until he tightens down the mounting bolt for the ignition switch box. so he thought it was a grounding issue and stuck a piece of rubber in there and everything seems to work, including the key turns more freely.

thoughts? grounding? maybe binding?

There are no grounds being used in that area so that is not an issue.
The Napa part is probably....I am guessing here......a bit too long so it is bottoming out in the switch proper.
I think your dad did the right thing here...any small spacer would have done the trick. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don't fully understand where he stuck the spacer but if it works, it works. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:08 pm 
LOST Member

Hello fellas,

Finding this thread has been a blessing as I am in the same boat now. Up that proverbial creek.

Question: What is the configuration of the bottom shroud retaining screws (plastic shrouds around column) ?

Hope someone can answer this soon as I have to get the vehicle to start.

TIA.

Bruno....

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's kind of hard to see and a bit of twist to get there but there are 2 Torx head (don't offhand recall the size but it's about the equivalent of a #2 Phillips and you can shine a flashlight up in there to see the size) screws on each side of the bottom shroud just behind the steering wheel (look for a "hole" leading up into the shroud). Undo both of those screws, grasp the back of the top and bottom shroud and wiggle/squeeze to release the plastic clips holding the back 1/2s together (doesn't take hardly any force to pop them apart), lower the steering column to lift the top shroud clear; and wiggle the bottom shroud clear of the steering column release lever.

Reinstall is the reverse but 1) be sure to snap the back 1/2s of the 2 shrouds together before trying to install the screws; 2) installing the screws goes better with a thin magnetic tip torx head to hold the screws vertical AND if you hold the 2 1/2s slightly apart (especially the passenger side) to get BOTH screws started before you tighten them down. Remember this is just plastic so don't force things or tighten the screws any more than just barely snug.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:42 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, it is a T20 regular.

I disconnected the two cables from the shifter and they are not the problem.

So I guess it is the ignition switch accuator pin.

I am still under warranty, so I think I might let the dealership do it. Just wanted to see what's under the column for future reference.

When it went last week I waited and wasted a whole afternoon waiting for the tow truck to come, but never came. Got a call in the evening that they would not come till the next day because the dealership must be open when they drop the car.

Next morning it stated right up so I thought that maybe it was just a hiccup, but I am not that lucky of an individual.

I am a little confused on this, but is there an easy way to bypass the accuator pin so that I can drive it to the dealership?

Advice greatly appreciated.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

pull the black box off and use a screwdriver to turn it. that is, if the pin is broken.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DocB - if your problem is intermittant no start and that pin is not broken; are you running the original red top battery, if so that battery may be on the way out (a short between cells can cause a random start/no start).

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:01 pm 
LOST Member

Pete, thanks for the info. I think I may give the screwdriver a try so I can drive it in.
Do I put it all back together before arriving at the dealership?

papaindigo, I put the voltmeter on the battery and worked the key. 12.46v and no voltage drop.
This means no starter request, correct?

Also, in case voltage was low, or shorting out, would using jumper cables from a two battery Powerstroke over ride a "bad" battery?

TIA for your info and no crank lesson.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not expert enough to comment on what the no voltage drop means. I do know that there are battery failure modes that result in intermittent no start but no problems with radio or headlights (e.g. the battery simply lacks the power to trip the starter or for the ECM to sense that the battery has enough power). The only test I know for this is to load test the battery. Possible failures that come to mind 1) the pin between the key and the starter switch is bad; 2) the starter switch (box opposite the key on the steering column is bad); 3) ECU senses a battery condition that's bad and the ECU never sends a start signal; 4) starter issue.

I simply don't know if a jump will work. There has been chat about this and at least one response to the effect that a jump won't "fool" the ECU into signalling for a start. But what the heck give it a try. If that doesn't work 1) disconnect both poles of the CRD battery; 2) do the same for 1 of the Powerstroke batteries; 3) using the jumper cables connect the Powerstroke battery to the appropriate CRD battery cable ends (be careful not to short to ground either end); 4) try a start. I think? this will trick the ECU into thinking the Powerstoke battery is installed in the CRD. If you get a start either way my bet is a bad battery. If not back to the above.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 pm 
LOST Member

This is deja vu all over again. The subject has been given a lot of ink on the Wrangler forums.

The battery, the pin, or the switch. I've saved tZac's part numbers in my Liberty file.

YMMV

PS The first time my actuator rod broke it twisted off over a few starting cycles. . . giving the initial impression of an intermittent problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:19 am 
LOST Newbie

DocB wrote:
I am a little confused on this, but is there an easy way to bypass the accuator pin so that I can drive it to the dealership?

YES, you can try to bypass ignition switch relay in PDC (black plastic box under the hood with fuses and relays). Put key in ON position and temporarily bypass relay pins, and jeep will start.

For HOW TO look here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61233 for my post

'09 Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the excellent information in this forum, manage to get my stuck jeep running with a piece of wire will attempt to fix it when I get home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's the darnedest thing! Exactly what happened to me this PM but without tools and stuck far from home, I had it towed to the nearest dealership to have a look at it tomorrow... I may do a quick relay jumping test to confirm problem is in the column (actuator/switch). Besides, I did not do the rear lower arms recall yet, so at least 1 good reason to bring it over there. I wonder if the service guy is going to try to pull my leg with off-the-wall theories :POPCORN: Which in any case, I will have a field day with him :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:49 pm 
LOST Member

The internet is awesome, but you guys who take the time to post ANSWERS to problems on these forums are THE BEST.

Yesterday I pulled into the post office and dropped some stuff off. When I got back to my Jeep and turned the key... nothing. The dash lit up, the radio came on, everything looked fine, but when I turned the key, there was no sound under the hood whatsoever.

I took out my Droid and searched "2006 Liberty CRD turn key no crank" and found this thread. I proceeded to pull the starter relay as suggested in tZac's initial post with the diagram and then jumpered the relay as instructed. Sure enough, the Jeep started cranking away!

Life saver.

Now I just need to source the parts listed in this thread and swamp 'em out. Sounds like that will run me around $50 vs. whatever insane amount the dealer would have charged to 1)figure out the problem --likely spending time on dead ends for a couple of days 2)mark up the parts 3) charge outrageous labor fees! Awesome.

For those who run into this problem and find this thread, know that jumpering the relay is very easy, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

I had a little piece of copper wire, and used that to connect the two poles in the illustration; a paper clip would probably work if you've got nothing else (just make sure whatever metal object you use isn't touching anything but the two poles on the relay or you'll likely short something). When you do this, as soon as you plug the relay back in, your vehicle will start cranking. If you already had your key in the "run" position, your Jeep should fire right up. If not, while the starter is cranking, simply turn the key as if you were starting the vehicle, and it will fire up. DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE RELAY AND PULL THE JUMPER once your vehicle is started, otherwise you'll be driving down the road with the starter cranking (your vehicle will continue to run no problem when you pull that relay; it's just for the starter).

This information could be the difference between getting stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow (and then an expensive diagnostic while some tech fumbles around charging you premium rates) and simply starting your vehicle right up and driving home! Freaking awesome.

:pepper:

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

I agree!

This is one of the best forums I've ever participated in. Knowledgeable, social, and civil! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

I swear this problem happens to every Jeep. It's one of the ONLY part not covered under extended warranty, not that they tell you that

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

Ignition rod or pin assembly. Goes between key / lock and ignition switch.
Napa PN: BK 6201414 $41.49

When mine broke I went to the stealership and it is NOT a replaceable part they told me. My ONLY option was to buy a new steering column for a mere sum of $1200.00!!!!!!!
I immediately went to a junk yard and got one out of a wrecked gasser for $10.
Then I found this part number here on the forum and NAPA has them.
Good luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next