It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Have you ever heard of a SFA swap on a KK before?
Yes 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
No 91%  91%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Has Anybody Ever Done A SFA Swap On A KK Before?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have been searching and searching EVERYWHERE and i have not found ONE person who has done it. PLEASE prove me wrong and send me a link because i want to do it to my KK but i am not sure i want to be the first. I know that there will be a lot of electrical problems involved which i will have to do A LOT of research on. My plan for my KK is:

-SFA swap
-Dana44's F/R
-Flat fenders
-6" Coilover conversion
-Custom front stinger winch bumper
-Smittybilt xrc10 winch
-Custom rear tire carrier and bumper with shackle mounts and tow hitch
-38x14.50R17 KM2's
-17" Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheel in black
-Rock lizard side rails
-Either 4.0L I6 swap, 6.1L Hemi V8 or just Supercharged... haven't decided yet, probably 4.0L I6
-Manual conversion?
-Half door invention?
-External roll cage?

So tell me if you guys have ANY information on a KK SFA swap. I'd really appreciate it because i want my dream to come true :BANANA:

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

Post subject: Re: Has Anybody Ever Done A SFA Swap On A KK Before?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

38's are kind of big for a common 44. I like the way think though :pepper: :BANANA:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've never heard of one before, but I'd love to see someone try it. I'm curious as to what your plan is to overcome the electrical issues? Actually, what are the electrical issues? I've never really heard them spelled out other than the ESP problem that seems to apply to most all lifts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't think anyones done one yet.The biggest factor is the gas tank location.If you have inspections then your axle choice is pretty narrow as you will have to use JK axles or axles made for JK's(like Currie makes) which have the ABS sensors in them already.Unless you use JK axles you will loose ABS and ESP.

Agree ridenby about the 38" tires.When you get to 38"+ tires they are a whole new ballgame and the weights double or almost triple 35" tires sizes.You'd want D60's front and rear to play with 38" tires.You also will need much more then 6" of lift.Sure I have a KJ but the KK's wheel wells are not any bigger and I can only stuff a 35" tire in mine nicely,37" tire would require alot of cutting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

ridenby wrote:
38's are kind of big for a common 44. I like the way think though :pepper: :BANANA:

i was thinking about going for D60's with 38's or D44's with 35's, so i kinda got mixed up with the two and put one of each lol but those were my ideas.

cgass wrote:
I've never heard of one before, but I'd love to see someone try it. I'm curious as to what your plan is to overcome the electrical issues? Actually, what are the electrical issues? I've never really heard them spelled out other than the ESP problem that seems to apply to most all lifts.

its that problem and since id have a bigger lift i'd have to get custom drive shafts to fit the height and i might want an SYE and Lockers so that will open another whole can of worms.

tjkj2002 wrote:
Don't think anyones done one yet.The biggest factor is the gas tank location.If you have inspections then your axle choice is pretty narrow as you will have to use JK axles or axles made for JK's(like Currie makes) which have the ABS sensors in them already.Unless you use JK axles you will loose ABS and ESP.

Agree ridenby about the 38" tires.When you get to 38"+ tires they are a whole new ballgame and the weights double or almost triple 35" tires sizes.You'd want D60's front and rear to play with 38" tires.You also will need much more then 6" of lift.Sure I have a KJ but the KK's wheel wells are not any bigger and I can only stuff a 35" tire in mine nicely,37" tire would require alot of cutting.

yes i was thinking about the gas tank as well. there are a lot of factors that come into play that need to be thought about. i was thinking about, as i said above, D60's with 38's and D44's with 35's and i also said above that i would create Flat fenders for the KK so it would completely remove the fender that is on the KK stock. So yes there will be A LOT of cutting lol

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd throw away the stock t-case also,get something worth having if your going to go big and something that can handle the loads.At least the Rubicons RockTrac or a Atlas.

Also not a whole lot to cut in the rear wheel wells without cutting structrual parts off.I'd trash the gas tank and mount a fuel cell where the spare goes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
I'd throw away the stock t-case also,get something worth having if your going to go big and something that can handle the loads.At least the Rubicons RockTrac or a Atlas.

Also not a whole lot to cut in the rear wheel wells without cutting structrual parts off.I'd trash the gas tank and mount a fuel cell where the spare goes.

I'd probably go with the Atlas 2 because i have yet to hear a bad thing about it.

Thats a really clever idea. i can remove the heat shield and fabricate a thick steel fuel cell for ultimate protection.

Adding to that, when i fabricate a rear bumper its going to leave a lot of room so i can increase the size of the fuel cell and also leave room for the bumper and clearance for the back when coming down off a rock.

I was just thinking that i could remove or weld shut the rear doors and chop them in half so i can increase my flex when i cut up. ill research if i would cut into anything. If i cut the doors in half i wonder if that will affect my Unibody when i hit a bump, i think it probably will....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

tjkj2002 wrote:

Go big or go home...
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=189305

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 am 
LOST Junkie

USAFCOP wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Go big or go home...
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=189305

i like the way you think :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:31 am 
LOST Member

DoubleK wrote:
-Either 4.0L I6 swap, 6.1L Hemi V8 or just Supercharged... haven't decided yet, probably 4.0L I6

4.0L I6 It's a great engine, but not a great swap. You'd be spending crazy $$$ for what 10hp?

Also boosting the 3.7 is a recipe for detonation.

6.1, 5.7 HEMI or 5.3, 6.0 Chevy Vortech would be your best bet, but your still looking at more $$$ than a SAS swap for that conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Supercharged 4.0.
I know of a guy selling a Cherokee that rolled with a supercharged 4.0.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:27 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Go to all of the work of a motor swap and only throw in a 4.0 ??? :roll: :roll: Even if supercharged it would be a waste of time and money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Turbo charged 4.3L Vortec would fill the engine bay nicely, Seriously tho crazy $$$ to spend on a motor swap.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd like to see something like this happen.

I have a KJ and maybe down the road I'll do a SFA swap. Why not? :roll: :mrgreen:
Engine stays until it blows. :lol:
Close to 73,000 miles and I could probably get another 100,000 miles. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
I'd like to see something like this happen.

I have a KJ and maybe down the road I'll do a SFA swap. Why not? :roll: :mrgreen:
Engine stays until it blows. :lol:
Close to 73,000 miles and I could probably get another 100,000 miles. :JEEPIN:

I have 223 XXX kms (Roughly 138565 miles give or take a hundred lol) on my 3.7L, with no issues so far and I beat the mother crap out of it on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
I have 223 XXX kms (Roughly 138565 miles give or take a hundred lol) on my 3.7L, with no issues so far and I beat the mother crap out of it on a regular basis.

I need to get a snorkel for my Jeep, so it doesn't die "death by water". :shock: :-)r
My Jeep may look like a pos to some, but it's my Jeep and I have big plans for it! :mrgreen:
You can't build a Jeep KJ overnight. It takes time and a whole lot of $$$!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:56 pm 

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
RED_KJ_666 wrote:

I need to get a snorkel for my Jeep, so it doesn't die "death by water". :shock: :-)r
My Jeep may look like a pos to some, but it's my Jeep and I have big plans for it! :mrgreen:

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!! :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:
RED_KJ_666 wrote:

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!! :5SHOTS:

If it was, there would be alot of cool looking KJs out on the road. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

ramlebliberty wrote:
DoubleK wrote:

4.0L I6 It's a great engine, but not a great swap. You'd be spending crazy $$$ for what 10hp?

Also boosting the 3.7 is a recipe for detonation.

6.1, 5.7 HEMI or 5.3, 6.0 Chevy Vortech would be your best bet, but your still looking at more $$$ than a SAS swap for that conversion.

i originally wanted the 4.0 because it is a great engine for off road. not too little power, not too much power, and could i supercharge it? hmmm

and i want the HEMI 6.1 but i feel its too powerful for off road use...

and i know all of this is going to be A LOT of $$ thats why im savin up. i may even sell my wrangler for the money??? im not sure yet....

blackwidowkj06 wrote:

Me too, i want a snorkel for mine as well! comes in great use!!!!

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
Turbo charged 4.3L Vortec would fill the engine bay nicely, Seriously tho crazy $$$ to spend on a motor swap.

it would prolly be the last thing i do, but its def up there on the list of things i want to do. i don't really wanna keep my 3.7 i kinda wanna go better :] but that does sound pretty nice ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DoubleK wrote:
and i want the HEMI 6.1 but i feel its too powerful for off road use...

Would that even fit in the KK? It would be a tight fit, but anything is possible. :mrgreen:
Just remember, once you start doing this there will be a TON of people dogging what you're doing. All you have to do is just ignore them and keep working. 8)