It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant System leak stop
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 pm 
LOST Member

Mechanics: are there any working coolant leak stop additives that you might use in your own Jeep or are they all snake oil that will damage the system over time? I used the stuff in a previous car I had and never had a problem after the fact with the pump or anything. I just can't locate this trickle leak that seems to go away and come back as it feels. Seems to leak more on shorter trips.

Post subject: Re: Coolant System leak stop
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:27 pm 
LOST Member

I wouldn't trust any off the shelf stop leak stuff. More than likely kill the water pump or gum up the
thermostat.

We're in the same boat. A tinny amount dribbles out from the drivers side upper plastic side tank.
Right on the seam of the plastic tank.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in the same boat. Does yours leak daily/every trip? Mine seems to have a mind of its own and leaks whenever it wants to. :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pretty sure you are both headed towards replacing the radiator.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine was doing the same thing. Try replacing the Rad cap, Mine only has 100xxxkm on it and the cap fixed my problem!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

Someone told me before it may be the water pump going bad or the water pump seal. They said if the seal went bad it would leak like this from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump.
Yes, it does have a mind of it's own and sometimes it doesn't leak at all giving me high hopes like the moron I am.
Also, the pump is not making any noises suggesting the berings going out or anything.
Well, I just went out and took another look (mind you I've been following the problem forn about a month or two).

Started it up and watched her as it warmed up a bit. I was surprised to see more coolant this time everywhere than there has been in the past, its loosing coolant faster.

Down under the power steering bottle I saw a flick....flick...flick....flick of drops shooting to my right where the most collection of the stuff occurs. I now suspect the gasket on the pump has gone bad and needs to be replaced, but I'm going to crawl under with a light and check the weep hole after I finish my spict chicken sandwich.

This is not a repair bill I'm looking forward to. I live in an apt, so I can't do the work here and draining the coolant to fix this is a huge pain I've found. I'll keep you kids updated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

ridenby wrote:

I've had my hands down the front of the running engine to find a radiator leak..its not the radiator. clean and dry as it can be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

The 3.7L rads like to crack right at the top driver side corner, Mine leak a trickle then turned into a fountain over time actually the day I dropped it off to start the rad it split wide open. The Rad is cheap just replace it before it fails on the trail.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Might try removing the belt and checking the water pump pulley for play. Mine made no noise just leaked a little,took the belt off and it was worn slap out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:29 pm 
LOST Member

ridenby wrote:
Might try removing the belt and checking the water pump pulley for play. Mine made no noise just leaked a little,took the belt off and it was worn slap out.

okay lol, what does 'slap out' mean? quick replacement?

I'd thought about just tightening the bolts to see if something came loose. I'll likely change the belt at the same time, but it looks Okay to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wore out,done,no life left,fineeto,doo doo the bed,seen better days.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:21 pm 
LOST Member

lol im also in the same boat. I got a 2'' crack on the driver side at the very top. It was leaking b4 I left Georgia not so bad and Im now in Miami Fl and its just leaking like crazy! I dont trust these crack heads now here to work on my Jeep and my Hotel wont let you work on vehicles!!! NO!!!!!!

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 pm 
LOST Member

Thought about saving cash and going aftermarket pump, any recommendations? No offense to the hardcore jeepers that would mate with their vehicles if they could, but jeep is not known as a quality brand and I'd have to assume they make most of their parts so that they have an expiration date... the American way.. spend spend spend. I see the Bosch brand all over the internet is now known as the worst out there for anything. Sure, $130 bucks for a chrystler pump, but I'd like something that will work and last. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boomerang wrote:
Thought about saving cash and going aftermarket pump, any recommendations? No offense to the hardcore jeepers that would mate with their vehicles if they could, but jeep is not known as a quality brand and I'd have to assume they make most of their parts so that they have an expiration date... the American way.. spend spend spend. I see the Bosch brand all over the internet is now known as the worst out there for anything. Sure, $130 bucks for a chrystler pump, but I'd like something that will work and last. Any suggestions?

OEM would be my 1st and only choice.

I'm a tech at a shop that services all makes and models(more Jeeps then most since I am in Colorado) and have found one major thing out,OEM parts are far better then aftermarket until you get into the high performance and specialty area's(offroad with lifts,racing,and such but those parts are more $$$ then OEM).Used all aftermarket pumps(OE style) and it's very hit and miss and more times in the miss section.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

Thank you sir, I'll go OEM. Just glad they are so accessible!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

ridenby wrote:

Pretty sure you nailed it. Found a crack at the top on drivers side. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:48 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Boomerang wrote:

OEM would be my 1st and only choice.

I'm a tech at a shop that services all makes and models(more Jeeps then most since I am in Colorado) and have found one major thing out,OEM parts are far better then aftermarket until you get into the high performance and specialty area's(offroad with lifts,racing,and such but those parts are more $$$ then OEM).Used all aftermarket pumps(OE style) and it's very hit and miss and more times in the miss section.

I'm with ya, man. I'm a tech at an import dealer, we almost exclusively use OEM parts and you basically never see something DOA or an early failure. Before that I worked for and independent who got most of our parts from NAPA or Carquest and man it was a crap shoot. That's where I learned the phrase "just because it's new doesn't mean it's any f-ing good."

As far as finding a small intermittent leak I like to use a hand pump and pressurize the cooling system.

2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

I replaced the pump yesterday following a Hayes Guide, so far no more leaking. Praise the Jeep gods, this one was stressing me out trying to find that leak and the funny thing was... I took the wifes car to the dealership to get the new pump... when I got home and moved the Jeep to a workable location 30 feet away the pump made the first squeal/grinding kind of noise ever since it started leaking. It was performing quietly before that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:12 am 
LOST Member

Way to go Boomerang. Through the use of a guide and the help of this awesome website, you figured out the problem, found the solution, and fixed it yourself. Right on... :BANANA:

Royal Purple Synchromax in tranny
Royal Purple Maxgear in pumpkins
Full mopar skids, front diff collar
Future mods: Rock rails, B.F. Goodrich all terains. (In my dreams: Frankenlift)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, the crappy part is that I have an extended warranty with a $75 deductable, but it won't cover seals and gaskets. I don't think it was necessarily the seal, but had I taken it to a shop and they tore it apart and it was the seal, I would have been responsible for the repair/diagnostics costs which would have been a lot more than I spent altogether. Catch 22, but now I know how to change the pump.