It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OEM "renegade" lightbar switch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello I will be adding this switch for back up lamp intall and cannot find the wiring diagram for it in the 06 factory service manual ( unless i missed it or its in another year). Anyhow I know it has the relay built in, but am unsure how to wire it considering it has 6 wires. Anybody have this schematic or has wired this up properly? Any direction would be appeciated.

Future mods; Lift kit, tires

Post subject: Re: OEM "renegade" lightbar switch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

here is where each wire goes to:

Red/DK Blue - Constant Hot
Tan/Blk - Fused Hot (hot in Run or Start)
Org- Interior lights (this is just so the switch lights up with the dash lights)
Violet - Low Beam headlight (this cuts the lightbar off when the low-beam headlights are on)
Black/org - Ground
White/Tan - Light bar
Brown/yel - Pin 19 of the BCM (this just cuts the light bar indicator in the cluster on)

Hook up is pretty simple. Because I wanted my roof lights to be able to be turned on with the key off I hooked the Red/Dk Blue and the Tan/Blk wires together with a constant hot. I didn't use the Violet wire at all because I didn't want the roof lights to cut off if the low beams were on. The white/Tan goes to your lights and the Ground is well ground. The orange wire goes to any instrument panel light (but this is optional)

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:31 am 
LOST Newbie

gtommec wrote:
here is where each wire goes to:

Red/DK Blue - Constant Hot
Tan/Blk - Fused Hot (hot in Run or Start)
Org- Interior lights (this is just so the switch lights up with the dash lights)
Violet - Low Beam headlight (this cuts the lightbar off when the low-beam headlights are on)
Black/org - Ground
White/Tan - Light bar
Brown/yel - Pin 19 of the BCM (this just cuts the light bar indicator in the cluster on)

Hook up is pretty simple. Because I wanted my roof lights to be able to be turned on with the key off I hooked the Red/Dk Blue and the Tan/Blk wires together with a constant hot. I didn't use the Violet wire at all because I didn't want the roof lights to cut off if the low beams were on. The white/Tan goes to your lights and the Ground is well ground. The orange wire goes to any instrument panel light (but this is optional)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

??

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Geez I typed up a whole response and don't know what happened to it ?????

Anyhow this info gets me in the right direction but the colors in my harness have some different colors and one less wire than you have mentioned ?

Here is my layout

Pin #1= blank
Pin #2= red/blue stripe
Pin #3= white/ tan stripe
Pin #4= blk/ orange stripe
Pin #5= wht/blk stripe
Pin #6= orange
Pin #7= blank but there seems to be a spade in the actual switch
Pin #8= brwn/ yellow stripe

Also you mention pin 19 in the bcm is this the harness that goes into the cluster?

Which pin # to illuminate the "rear fog" indicator as I see you have done (since this setup will be for the rear)

Where was this info located in the FSM ? I have the 06 fsm but can use your link to the other years if necessary

Thanks
Esteban

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Offroad_RN wrote:
Geez I typed up a whole response and don't know what happened to it ?????

Anyhow this info gets me in the right direction but the colors in my harness have some different colors and one less wire than you have mentioned ?

now that you mention it I do remember that my switch did not have a Violet wire (to the low beams) but the diagram did.

Here is my layout

Pin #1= blank
Pin #2= red/blue stripe Constant Hot
Pin #3= white/ tan stripe to your light
Pin #4= blk/ orange stripe Ground
Pin #5= wht/blk stripe Fused Hot
Pin #6= orange interior lights
Pin #7= blank but there seems to be a spade in the actual switch
Pin #8= brwn/ yellow stripe to bcm

Also you mention pin 19 in the bcm is this the harness that goes into the cluster?

here is the how to I followed: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread. ... +indicator

Which pin # to illuminate the "rear fog" indicator as I see you have done (since this setup will be for the rear)

If I remember correctly there isn't an LED installed in the rear fog lamp indicator in the US models this is what I did- http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread. ... ight=twist

Where was this info located in the FSM ? I have the 06 fsm but can use your link to the other years if necessary

The wiring diagram I used was actually in the haynes and chiltons manuals

Thanks
Esteban

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here are the pictures I uploaded to the JKJ site

These are some pics of where the connector is and where pin #19 is for people who plan on doing this..

These two connectors are located on the reverse side of the fuse box. Really high up under the foot well.

Picture of pins from under foot well.

Picture of close up of pin connector & pin #19

Light bar dash light lit up

(If you dont have the factory renegade switch, all you have to do is place a ground wire in that empty slot.)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys this definately clarifies it much much better , the reason I keep asking about the rear fog light indicator is because I already have the renegade lightbar and fog lights from factory so these dash cluster lights are already in use( More lights are cool, except for my engine light which is on right now..lol). I actually have a spare cluster I'm gonna dig out and see about that empty rear fog indicator which I assumed was already there but just needed to be spliced into, I can just probably pull out one of the other led's and fit it into the rear fog light slot( just have to decide which color I ghess). From what I have read it seams people have just been wiring the led's" positive" and "negative" directly without splicing into the bcm, Or are all the lights "energized" but just needs a ground to complete the circuit ?. I am out of town for the week so I wont be getting to it right away.

Thanks againg :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey all. I'm a new 06' liberty owner and I recently installed an incomplete light bar kit. I decided to wire it up myself, which seemed simple enough. Everything seems to work just fine. However, I cannot seem to get the indicator light to work properly. I connected the brwn/ yellow wire to pin 19 on the bcm as specified, but when I turn the key the indicator light is always on... I thought that it should only switch on when the switch is thrown.

Also, it wasn't clear to me where to wire the orange wire so I just capped it off.

One more question about the proper behavior for the light bar; is the following supposed to happen:
No key in ignition = light bar cannot be turned on
Key's in = light bar can be turned on
(In both cases the light bar operation is independent of the head light operation)

It would seem like if the head lights can be turned on the light bar should be able to be turned on?