It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Custom Homemade LED Tail Lights :)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wondered how that would look, looks good! I was going to do the same thing with mine a couple of years ago when I did my front LED's but since the tractors and trailers around here can't keep them in, I didn't do it. All companies around here switched over to the flange mount style that gets riveted or screwed in to ward of theives.
:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Flanged would look better since you could paint them and get rid of that big rubber ring
Plus not so easy to walk off like you said Buggin' :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
I wondered how that would look, looks good! I was going to do the same thing with mine a couple of years ago when I did my front LED's but since the tractors and trailers around here can't keep them in, I didn't do it. All companies around here switched over to the flange mount style that gets riveted or screwed in to ward of thieves. :JEEPIN:
Thanks! Yeah, that's a shame. I was thinking of using the security mount flange, but I wasn't sure how it would work in the plastic. It is not completely flat. They have one that snaps in, it would probably work better than the screw or rivet mount.
Thankfully - **crosses fingers** - I live near NYC, not many people have tractors and trucks, most people won't even notice the LED lights. I'm surprised I still have my Firestick for this long :shock: .
tommudd wrote:
Flanged would look better since you could paint them and get rid of that big rubber ring. Plus not so easy to walk off like you said Buggin' :wink:
I thought about getting the red reflector flange mount, which is good for safety. As of now I think I will keep the rubber grommet, I kind of like the contrast. It also matches the rest of the black accents on my truck. Later down the road I will revisit this project and test out the security flanges.
8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was thinking of using the flange mount style and use a heat gun with a directional tip to heat just the flange to mold it to the face of the factory taillight housing. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
I was thinking of using the flange mount style and use a heat gun with a directional tip to heat just the flange to mold it to the face of the factory taillight housing. :JEEPIN:

Hmmmmmm, I like that idea. Definitely a thought to play around with. Must be done carefully though, the plastic lens is delicate.
I'll have to put that on the back burner, no pun intended, lol.
Thanks!

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh yea, forgot to mention that part :jester:
Make a steel template to use as a heating surface, yes it would take a bit of time but I know the results look better. You could always have a test lens assembly for fitment until the flange is molded just right. I have had to heat and mold flanged taillights for many applications I use them for in my line of work and I have done it both with my heat gun and also a mini propane torch. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
....I have had to heat and mold flanged taillights for many applications....

Soooooo, make me some :lol: :lol:
All great ideas, that I will remember. Thanks.
:seuss:

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your very welcome.
:ROTFL: Sure just as soon as I get done makin all the stuff bouncin around my pea brain, just ask Mudd :ROTFL: You will be amazed at how easy and little heat it really takes to get them to mold and it does not effect the flange at all if done correctly. Highly suggest directional heatin tip method against a template and a moist, not soaking wet, soft cotton rag to gently form.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
Your very welcome.
Hmm, see what you did here.. I was all happy with everything, and you came here and ruined it. :-)r

Now that I know a little more, I will have to keep pondering.. and eventually order the flanges.

By the way, these were the ones I was looking at.
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=93552

Another reason I didn't want to do it right away was because I wasn't sure how tamper proof they were. Would I even be able to get them out once they were in? lol.

8)

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Something weird just happened to my post so here goes again :ROTFL:
I prefer the Truck-Lite product over Grote. Truck-Lite has a taillight that has the flange built right into it and it's flange is very nice to work with because it is thick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

infernicus wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:
Your very welcome.
Hmm, see what you did here.. I was all happy with everything, and you came here and ruined it. :-)r
8)

Happy to mix things up for ya :jester:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
Happy to mix things up for ya :jester:
I don't mind, It's good to keep the noggin working.

BugginKJ wrote:
Truck-Lite has a taillight that has the flange built right into it and it's flange is very nice to work with because it is thick.
I'll have to look into that as well.. I got a great deal on these Grote lights (these LEDs are expensive :shock: ), and I like them.
I'm a little too deep into the project to switch lights. But hey, crazier things have happened, lol.

Again, thanks for all your insight. :mrgreen:

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

These are the ones I use, you can get black flanges also 8)
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/st ... &langId=-1
True LED lighting is a great investment IF the product is a quailty product (not like the cheapies I used on my fronts) and their installed correctly they will last almost a lifetime. It's usually a connection that will fail long before the light will ever give out. Oh ya also forgot to mention the Truck-Lite LED's carry a lifetime warranty, even if one of the 3 prong pins breaks or corrodes. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 am 

Let Buggin' get started and you'll have a ton of new things to try, should be in my garage some days when we start throwing out ideas and plans............ :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
should be in my garage some days when we start throwing out ideas and plans............ :ROTFL:

If only you guys were a bit closer! I'd be there quite a bit!

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

infernicus wrote:
tommudd wrote:
should be in my garage some days when we start throwing out ideas and plans............ :ROTFL:

If only you guys were a bit closer! I'd be there quite a bit!

:ROTFL:
Now if only we had the $ for our crazy contraptions (mind you that would work wonderfully :wink: ) called ideas :ROTFL:
Stop on in, pull up a chair or a wrench and stay awhile :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
Stop on in, pull up a chair or a wrench and stay awhile :5SHOTS:

You wouldn't be able to get me to leave. Ask some of my fellow New Yorkers, haha.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:ROTFL:
Sorry man but I just "hear" Nu Yook! :ROTFL: I work with a fellow that was from New York and he never lost his tongue, I ask him to say stuff all the time just so I can bust a rib :ROTFL:
Mudds Garage is not mine however I am sure it's proprietor wouldn't mine ya stoppin in as long as the ale is cold and the food is fresh. Some one used to bring him cookies :shock: :jester:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:08 am 
LOST Member

I like that reverse light

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 am 
LOST Member

wow, really nice work! :SOMBRERO: