It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cant find the mass airflow sensor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all
Iv'e been hovering about in the back ground for a little while now, so maybe its about time I attempted my first post.
I have read Sir Sams very informative getting started guide and worked through some of the basics on my UK spec 2004 2.5 CRD.
Changed the oil and oil filter, changed the air filter, changed the fuel filter about 12 months back, checked over the intake hoses which seem ok and cleaned the MAP sensor. I was looking forward to performing the ORM trick but I just cant find a MAF sensor anywhere on either the filter box or intake pipe. Just wondered if anyone might know if or where the sensor may be located.

Post subject: Re: Cant find the mass airflow sensor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 am 
LOST Junkie

Phil121 wrote:
http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg

Hi all
Iv'e been hovering about in the back ground for a little while now, so maybe its about time I attempted my first post.
I have read Sir Sams very informative getting started guide and worked through some of the basics on my UK spec 2004 2.5 CRD.
Changed the oil and oil filter, changed the air filter, changed the fuel filter about 12 months back, checked over the intake hoses which seem ok and cleaned the MAP sensor. I was looking forward to performing the ORM trick but I just cant find a MAF sensor anywhere on either the filter box or intake pipe. Just wondered if anyone might know if or where the sensor may be located.

The 2.5 CRD does not have a mass airflow sensor.....I have a 2002 2.5 CRD.
The nice thing about our models is that it is easy to disable the EGR....without generating any codes.
You see the small black plastic cylinder sitting in front of the airfilter and behind the washer bottle? It has a small clear paper filter dropping out below it, has two small rubber pipes plugged on it and has a connector on it. This is the EGR solenoid for the 2.5 CRD. You can block off the pipes which will then stop the EGR working...the best way is to pull off one of the pipes and screw a small self-tapping screw into the plastic hole then replace the pipe to cover the screw.
The ECU on the 2.5 CRD does not check if the EGR has been disabled...it only senses current through the solenoid so if you do not unplug the connector...you will get no codes generated. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Billwill
that is a brilliant fix and no codes generated! Thank you so much for your help, I'll go grab some spanners and report back. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Phil121 wrote:
Hi Billwill
that is a brilliant fix and no codes generated! Thank you so much for your help, I'll go grab some spanners and report back. :lol:

Slight update to my post above, the solenoid is located behind the air filter, between the airfilter and brake fluid resevour.
I would suggest you plug the outer pipe hole...the one in the center of the solenoid goes to the vacuum pump....I would be a bit concerned about the screw coming loose and going into the pump. The outer pipe hole goes to the EGR valve and there is no chance of a loose screw going down that pipe.
I found highway driving much better with this little modification and I do not like the idea of having black soot pumping directly into the intake manifold.
I recently replaced the CAC hoses as one blew at about 90,000 miles....difficult to get SAMCO hoses here in SA in a hurry so I bought OEM....I do not do much mileage nowadays so the replacements should last me forever. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Billwill
I found the solenoid ok, but I did plug the centre hole so will change that in the morning. Ive owned this KJ since new and now got 82,000 on the clock, seems to be running better now than ever. I also removed the cat a couple of years back and that made a big difference to performance. It is sometimes a bit off on a cold start so my next home project will probably be changing the heat plugs (I did buy some about six months back, looked at where they were located and chucked the new ones on a shelf for another day).
Once again thank you for your help and advice it is very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Is this all true? I just read a post about our 2005 CRDs with the 2.8 and the post said that the little paper filter was for the turbo solenoid. It controls our fins. Did they use the same system for different purposes on our engines? I'm just asking so you don't fry anything.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:29 am 
LOST Junkie

Big Montana wrote:
Is this all true? I just read a post about our 2005 CRDs with the 2.8 and the post said that the little paper filter was for the turbo solenoid. It controls our fins. Did they use the same system for different purposes on our engines? I'm just asking so you don't fry anything.

The Export 2.5 CRDs do not have a variable vane turbo...this came in about 2005 on the 2.8 CRDs.

I have a copy of the Diesel Supplement for the 2.5 Export CRDs and the operation of the solenoid and how it opens and closes the EGR is well documented....of course they do not tell you how to overide the EGR operation. :lol:
I am sure that when Chrysler found out how easy it is to disable the EGR they made a point of introducing the Mass Airflow Sensor and enabled the ECU to check the proper operation of the EGR.....so forcing people to go for the GDE tune to eliminate the EGR operation. :?

I am pretty sure it was our tonycrd here who supplied a nice picture of this fix for our 2.5 CRDs some time ago. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:16 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Yep :SOMBRERO:

Any EGR can be cancelled...with a coke can. :mrgreen:

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es