It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ODBII P0093 Code ? ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 CRD, 54k, GDE Hot tune, and 2.5 straight pipe.

After warming it up, leaving a friends house, I got on it for a moment (4k RPM), then the engine power seem to be cut in half and my check engine light was on. I limped the rest of the way home barely getting over 60mph. At the stop light I put it in neutral and played with the fuel pedal. It seemed like it was taking a long time to reach like 3k RPM.

Got home, plugged in the ODBII, code = P0093 Fuel system leak detected, large leak.

Well, I cleared it, pulled off the ODBII, and restarted the CRD. It seemed better. Flew around the neighborhood real quick and it appears to be normal (but it was just a couple minutes).

My question... what just happened and will it happen again? Do I really have a large fuel leak? Can I not floor it to 4k rpm? Please consider my (2) modifications (which greatly improved the performance).

Thanks guys,

Jack

Exhaust: CAT DEL w/ Magnaflow PN12226
Wheels: Goodyear Eagle GT II P275/45/R20, Baccarat
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: ODBII P0093 Code ? ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:31 am 
LOST Addict

Chances are your vehicle is running with the stock fuel/water separator...is this the case? If so, it is time to upgrade with the new unit from Mopar that incorporates the larger fuel heater terminals. The original design would allow air injestion into the Bosch CP3 fuel pump and cause stalling. With the HOT tune you are running, the P0093 will only cause a limp-in condition and not a stall...unless too much air is coming in and preventing injection. The limp mode limits fueling and will not let the engine rpm increase past 3000. The other option is you pulled a large air bubble that tends to accumulate in the fuel/water separator when doing the wide open throttle acceleration, this is also possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm sure it's running the stock fuel/water seperator. I bought it 1.5 years ago with 25k miles and the original owner did nothing but routine maintenance.

At this point I'm leaning towards the air bubble, b/c I drove it in to work today which is about 25 minutes of highway driving. The engine light never came on and I never had 1/2 power. However I never went wide open either.

I dug up some pdf online on troubleshooting a CRD (not sure if it was refering to a Liberty) for P0093 error code. It did say something about once the code is triggered that it would run in failsafe mode until the vehicle was turned off and the code reset.

For what it's worth, I've now run over 60 consecutive gallons of home brewed biodiesel. I haven't noticed a discernable difference in anything besides the smell, but wasn't sure if that could have been a factor in the P0093 code.

Thanks GDE - Jack

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

evolDiesel wrote:
I'm sure it's running the stock fuel/water seperator. I bought it 1.5 years ago with 25k miles and the original owner did nothing but routine maintenance.

At this point I'm leaning towards the air bubble, b/c I drove it in to work today which is about 25 minutes of highway driving. The engine light never came on and I never had 1/2 power. However I never went wide open either.

I dug up some pdf online on troubleshooting a CRD (not sure if it was refering to a Liberty) for P0093 error code. It did say something about once the code is triggered that it would run in failsafe mode until the vehicle was turned off and the code reset.

For what it's worth, I've now run over 60 consecutive gallons of home brewed biodiesel. I haven't noticed a discernable difference in anything besides the smell, but wasn't sure if that could have been a factor in the P0093 code.

Thanks GDE - Jack

You could just bleed the system each week like I and others have been doing for 72000 miles now. Don't just pump the fuel bleeder primer, but release the air until nothing but fuel comes out. It takes me 3-4 times of opening and closing with pumping inbetween to clear all the air. I have no leaks at the elec connections, so it is coming from further down the fuel line at the quick connects. The new fuel heater/filter won't cure those air leaks if that is where yours' is coming from.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BVCRD wrote:
You could just bleed the system each week like I and others have been doing for 72000 miles now. Don't just pump the fuel bleeder primer, but release the air until nothing but fuel comes out. It takes me 3-4 times of opening and closing with pumping inbetween to clear all the air. I have no leaks at the elec connections, so it is coming from further down the fuel line at the quick connects. The new fuel heater/filter won't cure those air leaks if that is where yours' is coming from.

Are you for real :shock: This is the twenty first century and we're not talking Model T Fords :dizzy: Weekly bleeding of the fuel system 0n a 2005 or 2006 jeep or any car is redicules. Do you need to do anything to your Mustang on a weekly basis besides put gas in it :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just to give an update on this post:

I've driven a 100 miles, with no issues, and I've gotten on it, but not to the extent of 'wide open'.

I like Keith's theory of blowing through a large air bubble.

As for it driving in 1/2 power, I read that on a P0093 the CRD goes into a failsafe mode until the code is cleared.

Anyway... It looks like a glitch.

Jack

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:04 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Joe Romas wrote:
BVCRD wrote:

Are you for real :shock: This is the twenty first century and we're not talking Model T Fords :dizzy: Weekly bleeding of the fuel system 0n a 2005 or 2006 jeep or any car is redicules. Do you need to do anything to your Mustang on a weekly basis besides put gas in it :ROTFL:

I am asked that quite often. :seuss: But to answer your question, yes I am. It isn't my choice to bleed the system but it isn't like I'm wasting more than 30 seconds a week doing it either. The issue I am trying to get across is that putting on the new style filter housing isn't the answer. The Mustang GT is bulletproof. But this Jeep....ANY Jeep isn't a GT either.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[quote="BVCRD
Are you for real :shock: This is the twenty first century and we're not talking Model T Fords :dizzy: Weekly bleeding of the fuel system 0n a 2005 or 2006 jeep or any car is redicules. Do you need to do anything to your Mustang on a weekly basis besides put gas in it :ROTFL:[/quote]

I am asked that quite often. :seuss: But to answer your question, yes I am. It isn't my choice to bleed the system but it isn't like I'm wasting more than 30 seconds a week doing it either. The issue I am trying to get across is that putting on the new style filter housing isn't the answer. The Mustang GT is bulletproof. But this Jeep....ANY Jeep isn't a GT either.[/quote]

I agree the filter head is not the golden cure all. I've not had to bleed mine since I put the intank lift pump on over two years ago. It also has much better response!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, it got worse and almost stranded me. I brought it to Jeep and the mechanic in a very non-confidence inspiring performance thinks that its the water/fuel separator, just as GDE suggested. It is $425 for them to replace it.

My question... Does anyone have experience replacing one of these? Is it easy? How long does it take? Tools involved?

Thanks for your input,
Jack

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Depends on how slow you are.

Two bolts. Two hose clamps and three connectors. One of the new connectors is larger then the old one so you need to cut one wire and put on a new end. There's parts numbers for both the fuel head and connector here somewhere.
It should take the average person less then a hour.

Then you will need t prime the new filter head pushing the plunger till your finger hurts :jester:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

well depending on the real cause..
the fuel filter setup might not be the problem..nor the lack of a lift pump..

sorry..
but my wife jeep got the p0093 code after she got on it real good..its fun when it runs!!!
turn out to be the CP3 was dying..then it died..search for my posts on it.

and this was with a lift pump and after market filter( racor R245) . the same one in use today.

I don't think biodiesel was the cause unless you got bad fuel..(biodiesel or dino)..my wife been running more than B50 since march..no problems..

-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:12 pm 
LOST Member

sounds like a similar problem that iv been having with my 05 limited CRD, i changed the filter and fuel filter head, still had the same problem, dealer said it was caused by an aftermarket fuel water seperator that had been set up by a previous owner, guess we will find out, im picking it up tomorrow, if it was the CP3 it should have the same problem all over again though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update: Gave in and brought it into Jeep. They're best guess is fuel/water seperator. They are installing the new and improved Mopar FWS ($125) plus wiring kit that upgrades the heater apparently ($22). I was going to do it myself, but the cost of parts wasn't that much different and they already got me for the 1 hour diagnostic labor charge. When the dust settles it should be about $425, which sucks, but honestly anytime I can walk away from the dealer for less than $500 I feel like I'm winning.

Additionally I would like to observe that the CRD is officially my biggest love/hate rig I've ever owned. When it runs great, it is a blast and a cult classic, but otherwise it's just a slow, painful hemmorage from my checking account.

After traveling over seas, I really just want either one of these two 1/2 tons. I'm in love....

or...

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

$425??? OUCH!

I got the entire assembly (filter head + wiring kit) a few months back for around $100. Thirty minutes in the garage and one beer later, problem solved.

Just reinforces my resolve to never bring one of my vehicles to a dealership for any work that isn't under warranty...

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

I ran into the same code on mine. Followed the advise for the fuel/water separator on the forum and they were spot on. Since I like to do things myself I inspected the connectors and the fuel/water separator and the connector on the right side was actually burnt on the inside where fuel was seeping through. I'm surprised it's not a recall since it looks like a fire hazard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm 
LOST Addict

crddriver wrote:
I ran into the same code on mine. Followed the advise for the fuel/water separator on the forum and they were spot on. Since I like to do things myself I inspected the connectors and the fuel/water separator and the connector on the right side was actually burnt on the inside where fuel was seeping through. I'm surprised it's not a recall since it looks like a fire hazard.

Did you replace the fuel head with the updated one? There was a new release to address the burning problem, but it wasn't an official recall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

B100 will clean any varnish or algae in your fuel system and can clog your fuel filter within a couple of tank fulls after initial usage. When you were having these problems did you change the fuel filter? If not a partially clogged filter during hard acceleration will cause quite a lot of vacuum in your fuel lines causing air contamination. I'd say stop driving it like you stole it but that would probably fall on deaf ears. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

CATCRD wrote:
crddriver wrote:

Did you replace the fuel head with the updated one? There was a new release to address the burning problem, but it wasn't an official recall.

Quote:
Yes. I replaced the whole assembly and soldered the new wiring with the new connectors, also. Runs freaking awesome!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

evolDiesel wrote:
For what it's worth, I've now run over 60 consecutive gallons of home brewed biodiesel. I haven't noticed a discernable difference in anything besides the smell, but wasn't sure if that could have been a factor in the P0093 code. Thanks GDE - Jack

This was one of the primary motivations for installing an in-tank lift pump in mine. I use alternative fuels from time to time, and the bio fuels tend to be higher viscosity, especially when cold, and all the air-in-fuel problems are quickly enhanced when this happens.

What you're describing triggered my install - and it's been problem free since. :rockon:

Mark