It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how much does block heater draw?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone know how much the block heater draws? thinking about installing a solar panel to my battery, then powering the block heater off of my inverter during the day when I'm at work, so I need to figure out what size panel to get. I know it's been a mild winter and I'm not necessarily in a cold region but it seems to start a whole lot smoother in the a.m. when I have the heater on for about an hour before going to work while the cold after-work start is a bit rough. Thanks.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

Post subject: Re: how much does block heater draw?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/bloc ... rd-209573/ . The watt figure matches what I remember from prior forum comments. The amp figure I cannot comment on as this is the first time I've seen that figure. Hope this helps. How that all translates to a solar panel to keep the battery charged up while you are drawing power thru an inverter beats the heck out of me. That said you might consider some sort of in line timer rig if your work is such that you cannot go down to the vehicle about 1 hr before engine startup to start the block heater. With a timer your overall battery load would be reduced to just running the timer for like 7.5 hrs and the timer+block heater for 1 hr in an 8hr work day.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm pretty sure that won't work for you. Even a a decent sized solar panel will produce pretty low wattage, and the block heater will pull down your battery very quickly, the benefit of the block heat will be negated by the drain on the battery to the point where you might get a no-start dead battery.

I thought the block heater was 600 watt, maybe it's only 400, not sure, but I doubt you'll find a solar panel that puts out 15 watts that is a size you could fit in the car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Papa.

To change watts to amps divide by voltage :SOMBRERO:
So 400 watts divided by 120 volts 3.333 amps.
But it's 5.35 amps then 5.35 amps times 120 volts and that is 642 watts.
So obviously the figures in that post are not correct or not based on 120 volts.

That said I just plugged my block heater into my kill-a-watt meter.
My
AC line voltage is 117.8
Current draw is 3.34 AMPS
Wattage is 393.
So if if you multiply 117 Volts times 3.34 amps the answer is 393 watts

It would take a large solar panel to power a 400 watt inverter to operate the block heater IF everything was 100% effecient and they are not :JEEPIN:

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

I believe you will need way more solar panels than you can place on/around your
Jeep in the parking lot. At 135 watts for a 4 foot x 8 foot panel, you'll need 5 or 6 of them, allowing for the usual inefficiencies. Counting the controller and all, probably a total cost of around $5,000. You can buy a hell of a long extension cord, or better yet, a small generator with an auxiliary fuel tank for a lot less. Heck, one of those $89 800 watt generators from Harbor Freight ought to do the job. And since you really don't need the block heater on the entire time you are working, go out at lunch time and fire it up. It'll run 4 hours or so on the standard tank of fuel.

It should be noted that the block heater will suck your battery dry in less than 15 minutes given no charging help. Solar is NOT the way to go on this job, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the info folks. I had no idea a lil block heater would draw so much. Oh well. As for the idea of running out at lunch to plug in that'd be great if I worked near the Jeep but I actually get in a work truck and drive another 20 miles down the road to work. have a good weekend!

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
You would be asking 33 amps from your battery, and while it might last longer than 15 minutes, not much longer!

I have a 1500 watt inverter that I have used on film sets for essential services (Ok, the coffee pot!) and that was pulling 1200 watts to brew. It wouldn't even START the brew without tripping the inverter into safety-cut-off b/c of the battery drain, unless I left my engine running at the same time to take up the slack.

You would be better off with a small generator in this case, it would be cheaper certainly.
Alternately... Why mess with this at all, when you can force the glow plugs to cycle on by simply turning the key to the on position and NOT starting the engine - count 5, pull the key and repeat, THEN start after the second count?

The glow plugs are there for a reason. If you are having problems with the ceramic plugs... I have 5 in great condition that I would be happy to sell. I don't need them anymore.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just buy 9 (nine) of these Harbor Freight 45 watt solar panel arrays (27 panels), on sale this week for $189.99 each ($1,709.91 plus tax and shipping). Hook them together, connect to an inverter, and as long as the sun is shining bright, you are in business.

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

OR Buy a Diehard P1

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

barley00 wrote:
I know it's been a mild winter and I'm not necessarily in a cold region but it seems to start a whole lot smoother in the a.m. when I have the heater on for about an hour before going to work while the cold after-work start is a bit rough.

Barley never said it wouldn't start, just that it starts smoother after being plugged in. No surprise there.

Barley, you say you head 20 miles away from the Jeep to work, but didn't say if there was an outlet you could use near where you park the Jeep. If so, the extension cord and a timer would do the trick, just have it click on a couple of hours before you get back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

warp2diesel wrote:
OR Buy a Diehard P1

Or he can get a "Chicon" micro nuclear reactor from Harbor freight store, just plug and pray like every sh... they sell :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Samco/OME/Bilstein/JBA4.5/Mattech BTA Machined trans valve body
/BF rugged terrain 245/75/16 on MOAB

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OldSkull wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
OR Buy a Diehard P1

Or he can get a "Chicon" micro nuclear reactor from Harbor freight store, just plug and pray like every sh... they sell :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Can I use my 20% off coupon and get a free flashlight too :-)r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joe Romas wrote:
Can I use my 20% off coupon and get a free flashlight too :-)r

Keep your coupon because if you carry one of those your pee will glow in the dark! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Samco/OME/Bilstein/JBA4.5/Mattech BTA Machined trans valve body
/BF rugged terrain 245/75/16 on MOAB

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Fusion shouldn't be radioactive... And I would SO rock a Mr. Fusion for a power source. We need to develop this, its 2012. Isn't it about time?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:23 pm 
LOST Member

Webasto or Espar are the ultimate answers... but at over $2000 it ia a serious invesment. I had both in the past. Espar on my TDI Golf and Webasto on my TDI Jetta. Not worth the investment unless you live in really cold environments. They can also drain the battery if left running too long. Sure was nice to get into a warm cabin and have a warm engine on startup however :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm 
LOST Member

warp2diesel wrote:
Just buy 9 (nine) of these Harbor Freight 45 watt solar panel arrays (27 panels), on sale this week for $189.99 each ($1,709.91 plus tax and shipping). Hook them together, connect to an inverter, and as long as the sun is shining bright, you are in business.

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

OR Buy a Diehard P1

there is a better deal out there , at http://www.sunelec.com/solar-laminates-c-47.html

I got 6kw of solar for $3k last year and they even cheaper now

29 of 240 watt panels 3' x 5' each

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Radman wrote:
Webasto or Espar are the ultimate answers... but at over $2000 it ia a serious invesment. I had both in the past. Espar on my TDI Golf and Webasto on my TDI Jetta. Not worth the investment unless you live in really cold environments. They can also drain the battery if left running too long. Sure was nice to get into a warm cabin and have a warm engine on startup however :)

Espars are pretty slick.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I didn't read all of this thread and others. But, are there any options for a higher wattage block heater? Probably a bad idea with our thin block?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:42 am 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
I didn't read all of this thread and others. But, are there any options for a higher wattage block heater? Probably a bad idea with our thin block?

Get a Webasto Thermo Top C, (AKA a TSL17), Mountainman; you will never regret it. They are not $2000.00 as quoted above; you can get them for under $1000.00, and you can install them yourself. Here is a recent Ebay advertisement...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/923369-WEBASTO ... SwYKdcJP97

Use the Sasquatch Parts upgrade battery tray for a place to tuck the heater away in the CRD's tight engine compartment. I recommend some exhaust cloth to wrap around the exhaust pipe coming off of the bottom of the TSL17's combustion chamber, and perhaps some more heat resistant cloth covering sensitive plastics close to the TSL17.

The kit to get is a 923369 universal installation kit; it has the heater, the electrical harness and everything you need - except the mounting bracket - to install in any diesel fuelled vehicle with a 12 volt electrical system. You do not need the timer.

The TSL17 will heat up your engine to 170 degrees even in the coldest weather faster than idling it. It is fully 12.5 times the heating capacity of your O.E. block heater. Hot engine starts every time, and no idling required to warm the engine. Fuel is saved, and so is wear on your engine and a decease in your engine oil fouling... even the tree huggers are happy as the TSL17 is an EPA approved idle reduction device.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks Jeff. After much consternation I almost went Webasto, but landed on a 900watt honda generator that gives me much more of a chance of not having a survival situation in the backcountry. Now I can use my factory block heater for reliable starts at any temp, and have instant heat in the cab with a little ceramic heater. Basically no engine idling wear, and wet stacking any more! About 8 hour run time on 1/2 gallon of gas. I'm sure I'll find more uses for the generator also.
Very happy that I dont have to add extra wires, hoses etc to my jeep. I love that I can see everything and get to the timing belt in under 10 minutes.
I do think the webasto is a great device though, just not what I want.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:54 pm 
LOST Addict

yes and you can use it on whatever vehicle you might need it for and camping etc like you alluded to and a used one much less expensive. You could also add a dipstick heater to heat it up quicker if you wanted.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden