It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO TAKE THE DOORS OFF YOUR LIBERTY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HOW TO TAKE OFF YOUR JEEP LIBERTY DOOR{S}...UPDATED

***WARNING: DO NOT OFFROAD OR FLEX WITH YOUR LIBERTY DOORS OFF. YOU RUN THE RISK OF TWISTING THE UNIBODY.***
***OFFROAD YOUR KJ W/O DOORS AT YOUR OWN RISK***

MATERIALS NEEDED:
-10mm Open Wrench
-1/4” drive socket wrench
-13mm socket
-Pair of gloves
-YOUR OWN HANDS!!! (and some muscle)

STEP 1:
-Roll down your windows. THIS IS A MUST AND ABSOLUTE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO!!! THIS GOES FOR THE BACK DOORS AS WELL!!!
-Pull your mirrors in on the front doors
-You should have your gloves on too (I wore them and it kept my hands from getting all tore to pieces)
-Open the driver door all the way back
-Pull the small, round rubber boot away from the door jam (You’ll see) and slide it as far away as you can from the jeep
-Take the 10mm open wrench and undo the nuts to the door jam for the driver door. You’ll be turning the wrench towards you for the drive door. (Turn the wrench away from you when doing the passenger door jam)
-Place the nuts in the door pocket or somewhere that you can find them. (Make sure you do not mix them up with the passenger door jam nuts)
-Once the nuts are off the door jam, pull it as far away from the door as you can
-Pull the black boot that’s in between the KJ and your door
-You should now see what looks to be a orange plastic harness piece. On my 2006 KJ, it should be a solid orange piece. Behind it are two clips. Push on those clips and pull it away from the orange piece. REPEAT FOR THE OTHER DOOR{S}

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN UNDONE…(SORRY, I ONLY TOOK PICTURES AFTER THE DOORS WERE OFF)

ORANGE PIECE UNDONE

DOOR HINGE

STEP 2:
-Take the socket wrench with the 13mm socket and loosen the hinge nuts IN THIS ORDER: (Top Hinge : Bottom Nut; Bottom Hinge : Top Nut; Bottom Hinge : Bottom Nut; Top Hinge : Top Nut ) IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU FOLLOW THIS IN ORDER BECAUSE ONCE THE FIRST THREE NUTS ARE OFF THE TOP NUT IS WHAT IS HOLDING THE DOOR ON…
Here are pictures to help…DO NOT TAKE THE TOP NUT OFF TIL YOU’RE READY!!!!

Once the nuts are loose, unscrew all the nuts except the Top Hinge Top Nut.

STEP 3:
IF YOU’RE DOING THIS BY YOURSELF: Take a chair (kitchen chair) and slide it under the door. So if the door decides to come off while you’re working on the second to last nut or the last nut, it will catch it somewhat. Which will prevent damage to your feet and the KJ door. While (trying) to hold the door level, place your left arm through the window and have the door kind of sitting on your shoulder while you screw the last nut off. Door should pull right off…Place the door somewhere in a garage or somewhere safe.
IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE HELPING YOU: Have your helper hold the door level while you unscrew the last nut hold the door in place. Once the last nut is off, you and your helper firmly grasp the door, pull door off hinge and set it in a garage or somewhere safe…

***REPEAT STEPS 1-3 FOR THE PASSENGER FRONT, REAR PASSENGER AND REAR DRIVER DOORS.***

STEP 4:
ENJOY DRIVING WITH YOUR JEEP LIBERTY DOORS OFF!!!!

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS WHEN DONE…Image

***WARNING: DO NOT OFFROAD OR FLEX WITH YOUR LIBERTY DOORS OFF. YOU RUN THE RISK OF TWISTING THE UNIBODY.***

Last edited by blackwidowkj06 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: HOW TO TAKE THE DOORS OFF YOUR LIBERTY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:15 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

good write up!

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:17 pm 
LOST Member

Yep, takes 15 minutes...

I've never taken the back doors off but maybe I will someday. I just really wish I didn't lose the radio sound with the front doors off. Do you happen to know how to fix this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iMTB wrote:
Yep, takes 15 minutes...

I've never taken the back doors off but maybe I will someday. I just really wish I didn't lose the radio sound with the front doors off. Do you happen to know how to fix this problem?

LOL it took me more than 15 minutes :goink: :ROTFL:

I was actually going to work on the radio problem. If you go through the setting on your radio, make the sound go all the way to the back....I have an aftermarket radio, so not sure if it would work. If you have a factory radio...it might work....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

do you have alignment issues with the doors when you put them back on?

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Just make sure there are no nit-picky state troopers around. They'll write you up for not having mirrors.

I've seen some XJ guys take all four doors off AND take them on twisty trails like that. Not sure if it causes them trouble or not.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm 
LOST Member

Since I lose all the sound I don't think that will work, but I will give it a try. I actually tried to make side mirrors out of cj mirrors but I couldn't get them at an angle I liked. I'm still working on that part.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
do you have alignment issues with the doors when you put them back on?

Unless you offroad/flex with doors off OR do a nut/bolt/washer set-up instead of using the hinge pins...then no there shouldn't be any alignment issues.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LibertyCRD wrote:
Just make sure there are no nit-picky state troopers around. They'll write you up for not having mirrors.

I've seen some XJ guys take all four doors off AND take them on twisty trails like that. Not sure if it causes them trouble or not.

I have a rear view mirror and a driver mirror. That's all you really need in the state of KY. Not sure on the other states. Maybe I need to edit my original post and put that in there :juggle:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iMTB wrote:
Since I lose all the sound I don't think that will work, but I will give it a try. I actually tried to make side mirrors out of cj mirrors but I couldn't get them at an angle I liked. I'm still working on that part.

I bought a $13 mirror from O'Reilys...zipped tied it to the handle on the side of the jeep...works fine and i have a rear view mirror

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

I don't even think off road driving would mess up the door alignment. No doors and xjs are all over in the summer and wheeled hard. Also, tried the radio tuning and it did not work. Trying to figure out why the sound is cut out still.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

It would be cool if someone made some kind of "filler" that made it so that you didnt have to see the inside of the door. I think you get what I mean hahaa :ROTFL:

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

iMTB wrote:
I don't even think off road driving would mess up the door alignment. No doors and xjs are all over in the summer and wheeled hard. Also, tried the radio tuning and it did not work. Trying to figure out why the sound is cut out still.

For one, I'm NOT going to even try offroading or flexing without my doors. I should say "Offroading or Flexing without doors will increase the chance of the Uni-Body twisting and/or door alignment."
If you do the nut/bolt/washer conversion, where you swap the hinge pin for those 3 things; I KNOW that will mess up door alignment.

And I'll try to figure out the sound thing. Doubt there is anything you can do. :|

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CoopaTroopa wrote:
It would be cool if someone made some kind of "filler" that made it so that you didnt have to see the inside of the door. I think you get what I mean hahaa :ROTFL:

Tube doors will hide that. :wink:

Something else I'll be doing in the future

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 am 
LOST Member

Pictures are all down. Does anyone have instructions for the KK (is it the same)?

2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm pretty sure it would be the same. I will get the pictures back up by tomorrow at the latest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Updated this thread and put the pictures back up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Doors are not part of the structure of the vehicle, and in addition, offer very little protection in the event of a side impact collision. That is what the A, B, C, and D pillars are for.
Great write-up though, I think I wanna try it one day just to do it.
Funny how it takes 15 minutes to take the doors off, when it takes less than a minute to do it at the factory. :-)r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Marlon you'll be the first KK to do it. :)

At the factory, you have multi-million dollar robots to help you get the doors off. All I have is my hands, my tools and muscle to take them off.

Thank you for the complement on this thread. I tried to be detailed as possible so it would be easy to do this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I would need to make something like we use at work. As ArcherAce said in the other thread, the weight of the door hanging improperly will throw off the alignment. Now THAT is likely the reason for misaligned doors, at least in a KJ/KK.

Whatever order is used at the factory is likely best. I will have to check it out someday.