It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help w/code P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I got this engine light code. Anyone know what it means in simpler terms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We have the same leak in our corolla. I really do not know what it does, but I think it has something to do with the venting of gas fumes.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

P0455 is the generic code indicating a large leak in either the evaporative loss system (fuel tank vent system) or the crankcase ventilation system. First step is a good visual check of all the vent pipes, carbon cannister, cannister valves, purge valve and even the fuel filler neck and cap - next step is to check the system for proper operation of valves and such - next is a controlled smoke test with specialized equipment. Yeah all this can be time consuming and even frustrating to repair. I would recommend the visual test then let a tech familiar with the system check the rest of it for you. I'm not really familiar with the KJ's system but there are usually common likely problems a good Jeep tech can go right to and make an easy fix.
Hope this makes sense and is of some help.

Mike

'06 Limited 4X4 3.7L
'96 XJ with some stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:34 am 
LOST Member

I had the same problem, check the system in 2 places. By the evap canister right in front of the gas tank and the rubber hose next to the battery. The hoses rot out and cause the leak. My leak came from the hose next to the battery, it is attached to a valve. A quick trip to the part store for some hose and the leak was fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:49 am 
LOST Junkie

I had the same but with a minor leak error. Check gas cap just for s&giggles. Then the front by the battery as recommended by Winkelhawk. Another place I was told to look was at the lines coming into/from the evap fuel canister near the gas tank. If you look behind (in front) of the gas tank on the drivers side you'll see the three fuel lines coming back. One of them has a hose on it. Mine had some minor splitting right at the nipple of the canister. I replaced it with some hose from napa and it stopped the error. Other people replaced all the hoses and line from the purge valve in front to the evap canister in rear. I decided to try the cheaper route first. hope that helps.

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I had the same error code. It was dry rotted fuel lines near the gas tank. Running your Jeep with the gas cap off, or loose can cause the error code also.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:45 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

gas cap for sure...

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject: not gas cap
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I replaced the gas cap and had it reset, the light went off at first but then came back on about a day later, I'm going to check the hoses and see if thats it. Thanks for all the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:41 pm 
LOST Member

lilmatty wrote:
gas cap for sure...

Yup! It's the gas cap. It will take about a day for it to clear. This happened to me. Someone tried to steal some gas from me and left my gas cap loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had the same issue, I got a new gas cap and it was fine

Volant Air Intake
http://www.carstereo.com/installs/photo ... eryid=1290

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/538614/1