It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front end clunking noises
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Ok, so I'm stumped about this...

The other thread about forgotten maintenance items got me thinking about this clunking my CRD has been doing for a while now. It sounds just like what you might expect a broken engine mount to sound like - a low pitched rattle of parts hitting each other while at low speeds. (The engine mounts are both replaced BTW, and only the passenger was bad) This isn't a specific single clunk noise, it is more like a pin in the center of a bushing mount... But without the bushing there at all. That is the best way I can think to describe it, or like the sound of a large can with 3-4 big loose nuts in it.

Anyway, so I went on a hunt under the front end today just for giggles. I had previously had the driver's wheel off when doing the brakes, and had leaned on the CV axle at one point and it shifted in toward the pumpkin a bit (1/8") and made a similar sound - once. So I'm suspecting something in that area. Banging on the undercarriage with a dead blow mallet, NOTHING is moving. Anywhere.

Then I see a bolt move - One of the two forward mountings for (what I'm assuming is) the support plate under the front differential. The one on the driver's side just where the lower control arm connects, that bolt is loose and the nut is backed half-way out and makes a similar sound when I wiggle it! A-HA!

Tighten that back up - A lot - and go for a drive... darn noise is still there. The other forward mounting point is solid... And I can't seem to find anything else loose. I'm reasonably certain it is somewhere attached to the driveline and not in the suspension, and it doesn't change when I engage the transfer case into full or part-time... So WTF is going on? Give me something to look at, please.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

Post subject: Re: Front end clunking noises
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had a front end noise too. Mostly once a day backing out of the garage. At first I suspected a sticking caliper. Nope. The noise varied from a snap to a clunk.
Thinking ball joints and needing an alternator for a bad clutch I took it in under my 7/70 warranty.
The noise turned out to be the "lower control arm bolts" :dizzy: Over a year ago just before the clicking kind of noise started they had replaced the steering rack and had most of the front end out :dead: I guess it's a big deal getting a rack out of a CRD :JEEPIN:

Anyway they tightened the bolts and the clicks and clunks are gone and along with a lot of other rattle type noise as you discribe that I didn't pay much attention to :ALONE:
I don't know if they left the bolts loose or they worked loose by themselves :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check the front drive shaft rear boot.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 am 
LOST Member

I also have a clunk, mine happens when I come to a stop such as a light after getting out of the freeway or bumper to bumper traffic. It is a semi-loud clunk after releasing the brakes, I've look all around and have not been able to spot a thing so insights are appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:59 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the same clunking noise after releasing the brakes and can't for the life of me figure out where it is from. It is driving me crazy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 am 
LOST Member

I had a strange rattle noise also, turned out to be my exhaust is loose and rattles at certain RPM's and idle. Tied a rubber bungee cord around it and hooked to the frame and noise went away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:27 pm 
LOST Addict

chillmobil wrote:
I have the same clunking noise after releasing the brakes and can't for the life of me figure out where it is from. It is driving me crazy!

It's the driveshaft slip yoke. Remove and grease the splines at the forward end. Sounds different from geordi's problem.

Post subject: Front end clunking noises
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
kskj wrote:
Check the front drive shaft rear boot.

FINALLY had a few minutes to get under there and have a look / feel at this... (it's been a crazy few days with working) and what I found is this:

I'm not sure there IS a rear boot, I saw what looked like a boot clamp on a very short rear section of the forward driveshaft, but a rubber boot wasn't obvious. It may have been there and just fine, I couldn't really tell. The forward boot looked fine however. This is what I DID discover though:

Rotating the forward driveshaft back and forth (there was no slop end-to-end) the slop was about a 1/2" long point-to-point... And I could hear and feel what sounded like something metallic pinging INSIDE the middle of the driveshaft!

WTF is that? Do I need to replace the whole driveshaft? Is there some form of tensioner in there that is now broken?

I'm on the way to the parts store anyway right now (Hayden clutch time) so if you have any suggestions, please do, and I can order that along with the clutch.

I love this forum. Without this place... I might not ever get all the noises in this thing solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well after going thru most of the suspension I found out that my ASFIR Front Engine Skid was making contact with the LCA inboard when it was becoming unloaded (drooping down). Somehow the two small sides were bent up just snuff to make contact. I also found that the Transfercase/Tranny ASFIR skid was a bit loose causing a slight jingly rattle.

I swear i am going to make this CRD rattle and clunk free if it kills me :dizzy:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

asfir? WTF is that?

Sorry - I don't have skid plate noises b/c my skid plate is resting comfortably under my trailer. There aren't any rock-strewn trails on the highways or soft muddy lawns I drive on around here. :)

No thoughts on the driveshaft tho?

I'm toying with the idea of unbolting the front driveshaft and driving around a bit for a test to see if the noise is gone... Any thoughts / problems with doing this? I guess I will need to try pulling out either end piece before I do, to see if they will fall out on their own while I test it, or leak juices everywhere. I found out at the parts shop that a forward driveshaft is $350... There better be a DAMMNED good reason a metal tube costs so much!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey geordi,

I just pulled my front driveshaft chasing down a noise. I too have what appears to be something inside that is loose. Having the shaft out, I can tip it end over end and hear it rattle downward. Sounds like a "small" piece of metal that had broken free.

I still opened the caps on both front and rear CVs of the shaft, still plenty of grease and the boots are tear free. I did drive with the shaft off and I "think" I am noise free, but my imagination could be playing tricks. Since the ends looks free and clear, it is possible whatever is inside the shaft could be making a noise (my noise IS different than yours) but for the price of a new drive shaft I am not about to find out :!:

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh, I definitely hear something in the middle of the tube, and I could also *feel* it right there against my hand. I think I will be unbolting it tomorrow and drive around without it for at least a few hundred feet - I live on a dirt-and-rocks road, this noise is VERY prevalent on this road at low speeds. I will know instantly if this is the source of my noises... I suspect it is, though that wouldn't explain the tire cupping that subsequently cleared itself up. *sigh*... The joys of owning a project vehicle. :5SHOTS:

If I can feel it fall from end-to-end... I might investigate the possibility of drilling a hole in the very end of the tube and see if I can get whatever it is out... But I don't have much hope for that idea. WTF was Chrysler thinking, designing a simple driveshaft with something inside it?

A basic tube with universal joints was too simple a design, that it had worked flawlessly for over 100 years, they had to reinvent that wheel and add more crap to break and cost money?

Sheesh... Ask a Chrysler droid to add up 2+2, they would probably have to get to the answer by multiplying by 4 and taking the square root of the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The rear boot is a concave boot it faces the front of the driveshaft. If you stick your finger in it you will feel a smooth rubber surface. Or you will feel ball bearings if the boot is deteriorated.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
asfir? WTF is that?

!

These are some aluminum skid plates made in Israel...Front Engine, Transfercase-Tranny, Fuel and Rock Rails. For free I really couldn't go wrong.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

camo wrote:
I also have a clunk, mine happens when I come to a stop such as a light after getting out of the freeway or bumper to bumper traffic. It is a semi-loud clunk after releasing the brakes, I've look all around and have not been able to spot a thing so insights are appreciated.

Your symptoms sounds like the rear drive shaft slip yoke needing some grease.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Front prop shaft is removed, the rear boot is completely severed at the closest point to the universal, so it looks like for a $20 rubber boot, I get to spend $370... Yea, I'm LOVING that design. :banghead:

Oh, and the Jeep drives just fine without it, and that FRELLING NOISE IS STILL EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!!!!!

DANGIT!

So I'm going to leave the prop shaft out, I don't really use it in 4wd during the summer anyway, and I'm not buying another driveshaft until I figure out this noise.
Tomorrow I think I'm going to take it to an alignment / tire shop and tell them to beat the piss out of the undercarriage until they find this noise. This is pissing me off now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi,
Is it possible to have a new front shaft built using real u-joints at both ends? These would be greasable and servicable!

InMotion Stage 2
SEGR - runnin' good
Cummings Lift pump
Fia - Winter / Summer Cover
Turbo Timer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi,

The rear CV joint is about $65 and a complete drive shaft is about $195

at www.driveshaftparts.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 am 
LOST Addict

bugnout wrote:
geordi,

The rear CV joint is about $65 and a complete drive shaft is about $195

at http://www.driveshaftparts.com

Good to know, thanks. First thing I am planning to do (after the alignment shop gets done bludgeoning the underbody) is call around to driveshaft rebuilders and see what they might want to have a look at this and maybe put a normal boot onto it.

I *think* the joints and the shaft are OK, it seems perfectly solid, so maybe the boot didn't tear too long ago, and it isn't like I have been taking it through any rivers recently.

I like the thought of serviceable U-joints... Not that I've ever put a drop of grease onto any U-joint on any car I've ever driven. Some parts just aren't normal maintenance items that get thought about. On my 97 Grand Cherokee, we went over 220k miles without (as far as I know) ever doing anything with the rear differential. It started whining one day on a highway drive from Savannah to South Florida, and making unhappy grinding / chewing metal noises about 1/2 way through the trip. Took it directly to the shop after that - They said the differential had eaten one bearing completely and one of the axles was almost OUT of the pumpkin b/c of the chewing where the bearing had been.

Oops.

This banging on the other hand... Doesn't seem to affect anything with the handling or the performance, it is just annoying as hell, b/c I strongly suspect it has something to do with why the tires cupped. The problem is, the tire cupping then smoothed out and hasn't returned, and I haven't done anything to FIX the problem yet - B/c I still don't know where it is! It has been doing this for over 5k miles now, and I've had enough. The driveshaft... Can wait.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well passenger side boot is torn somewhere, slinging grease and "clicking" while driving. Got to find a replacement part and get it fixed. Seems like I have almost gone over the whole CRD lately in the last year at 140,000 miles.

Replaced rear U-Joint at Pumpkin (01/11)
New Front Struts (OME) and Front Sway bar Bushings (04/11)
Replaced front Rotor and Brakes (Cryo Slotted and Pads) (05/11)
New Tires...Cooper 255/70/16 AT3s (05/12)
Replaced Timing Belt and Water Pump (06/12)
Replaced Upper and Lower Intercooler Hoses (06/12)
Replaced Steering Rack Bushings/Rear Wishbone Bushings (06/12)
Fuel Filter (06/12)
...and some other little things like the windshield washer nozzles and schrader valve for the AC and Refridgerant

Seems like i should be pretty close to being done