It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RL godzilla solid axle conversion is here
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 am 
LOST Junkie

Well you could break it down and buy them separate, or just save up. Not arguing that its not pretty costly but if someone wants it bad enough they will save. Troy how much did you end up spending in total when you did your swap, if I remember right you had that much invested in just the front end.

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Plus who wants a TJ that looks like everyone else at the mall? :ROTFL:
Build a KJ and you won't see a red one just like yours at every stop light :wink:

Plus Plus TJ's never came with a diesel :wink:

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm 
LOST Member

Things cost more for the Liberty since there is no competition between aftermarket companies. It is definitely cheaper to go another route but then its not a "one a kind rig". I thought about taking out the IFS but went another route instead.
There are cheaper options if people want a SFA off road rig that is capable of hauling around 4 adults in comfort. I bought my 97 Toyota Land Cruiser for 6K. It was the last year of the SFA with front and rear factory lockers. Once the diesel/manual/part time transfer case conversion is done it will be time to figure out if my CRD is still needed.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CoopaTroopa wrote:
Well you could break it down and buy them separate, or just save up. Not arguing that its not pretty costly but if someone wants it bad enough they will save. Troy how much did you end up spending in total when you did your swap, if I remember right you had that much invested in just the front end.

I have $26,000 in parts alone.

There will always be poeple saying it's to expensive,even if it was $1.Look at TJ/JK owners doing HEMI swaps,$22k for the cheap version and $30k+ for the big HEMI's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can easily invest that much into a TJ to get it lifted and armored properly, if this kit would have been done a few years ago, I would have probably did it instead of buying my TJ and building it.

everyone can talk about the KJ and TJ but they both have their purposes and I love both of mine!!!!

06 Dodge 2500 Diesel - Tow Pig
89 Wrangler not much left stock on it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am 
LOST Addict

Yes I would of liked to lift and armor my tj when I had it but everyone in town had one lifted and armored. Most were just for looks but quite a few were even locked. So I didn't and bought and Audi instead and built a twin turbo monster :twisted: like they have ever seen in magazines. So now to do the same with the KJ I mean how many SFA liberties do you see that are exactly the same. I mean look at troys kj and then jeepbumms Completely different. I mean I have more then a few off the wall things planned for mine from the transfer case options to the axles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

The RL Fab kit is expensive but if you have ZERO skills to work with or no capable shop in your area it's the only way you are getting that solid axle under there, that being said you can easily put a Solid axle under the front of a Liberty for about 5000$ if you do everything on the ultra cheap. The swap itself on mine cost about that but the other goodies and upgrades (I.E. Lockers,upgraded Axle shafts,Diff Covers,EBC Brakes all around, stainless brake lines,Wheels and tires, regearing to 4.56's non of witch really where a necessity for the axle to be in there.) I added related to it added up big time in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not that there is a problem buying cheaper parts, but I like the security of knowing its new and better to do it right the first time than pay for a second go around. I learned that with my brush guard that got replaced by a RL bumper.

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Plus buying your axles, lockers, gears, shafts, drive shafts, and then your tire and wheel package. You can buy all of this in pieces and even wait on quite a bit of this stuff to go on sale. Or even something really nice that is slightly used.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
Plus buying your axles, lockers, gears, shafts, drive shafts, and then your tire and wheel package. You can buy all of this in pieces and even wait on quite a bit of this stuff to go on sale. Or even something really nice that is slightly used.

Very true.I spent almost 3 years collecting parts for my SFA swap.I was also the unlucky huy that got to buy alot of stuff twice as it was a learning curve building the prototype and finding out what worked and what did not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:35 pm 
LOST Addict

That is a very good price.

As with tjkj there, me and the girl have changed axles 3 times(only bought two sets), went through a off the shelf long arm kit to custom long arms, 4 different steering boxes, two different style speedo set ups, during mounting ways for the longs arms, belly pan, steering setup.

If the darn kit is bolt it it is going to save you lots of headaches and time.

Btw, TJKJ if you can bud shot me a pm so we can chat.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:41 am 
LOST Addict

i can appreciate the research, development, thought, and general time that went into offering this kit. So much so that it makes me think twice about selling my KJ. Any SFA KJ will attract 1000x more attention then a extremely built XJ/WJ/YJ/TJ/JK. I hardly look at JK's anymore because every soccer mom is driving a budget lifted one on 33/35's. Those are boring to me because they are a dime a dozen.

Rock Lizards kit would be 100% top notch... and would make any KJ into a wheeling monster.

i CAN NOT wait to see someone buy this kit and fit it to their KJ. For that matter i hope RL cant build them fast enough. RL deserves the business and respect for putting out such a quality Kit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am 
LOST Addict

I am right there with you on being sick of Jk and tjs my brother owns one of the new ticking jks (2012) :ROTFL: and it is a rubi but he won't wheel it. But after seeing troys in action I must have this and must make it my own. But mine being a diesel will make it fun for me but Marty has even thought about that and informed me has worked all of it out short of the steering box.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ wrote:
i CAN NOT wait to see someone buy this kit and fit it to their KJ. For that matter i hope RL cant build them fast enough. RL deserves the business and respect for putting out such a quality Kit.

Well 2 of us already have bought the kit.

Granted USAFCOP is crazier then me,though I still have to DD mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lqclLjOPo&feature=relmfu
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/gravediggerfreek/MOAB%20DAY%202%20-%20Seven%20Mile%20Rim/?action=view&current=MOV02478.mp4&newest=1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:

I just got back from Rocklizard's shop where USAFCOP has his Jeep. Pictures do not do it justice. Seeing it in person was amazing, very high quality, beefy parts!

And tjkj2002 is 100% correct, the Rocklizard kit rides very smooth and stable! I personally think the selling point of being bolt on is noteworthy. Sure, some fabwork for axle mounts, but the belly, coils, and arms can be installed in your DRIVEWAY!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 pm 
LOST Addict

If only you saw the driveway where both of these rigs were originally built you almost need a lift to getting and out without scrubbing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

arengant wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

I just got back from Rocklizard's shop where USAFCOP has his Jeep. Pictures do not do it justice. Seeing it in person was amazing, very high quality, beefy parts!

And tjkj2002 is 100% correct, the Rocklizard kit rides very smooth and stable! I personally think the selling point of being bolt on is noteworthy. Sure, some fabwork for axle mounts, but the belly, coils, and arms can be installed in your DRIVEWAY!

HEY!!!! it aint no rental taxi!!!!! That thing is supposed to be in storage not a customer shuttle!!!! That aint right at all to tease me about riding in my junk when I had to buy a stinking Cube to drive here... on another note though, I almost bought a Liberty...unfortunately it is a nissan minivan not a jeep over here... I also found a Suzuki painted like Troy's... will get pics and post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:-)r

Enjoy Japan!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
Plus who wants a TJ that looks like everyone else at the mall? :ROTFL:
Build a KJ and you won't see a red one just like yours at every stop light :wink:

Ain't that the truth.Plus from all the Wranglers I've driven(well over 100+,CJ's,YJ's,TJ's,and JK's) they all ride like do-do lifted or stock.

The one thing I told Marty was if my KJ ended up riding like a Wrangler I was knock him out,well he's just fine cause it rides 1000000% better then any Wrangler I've ever driven.

you never rode in my wrangler bud! darn thing was the smoothest ride I have had been in for a 4-wheel drive machine lol

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 am 
LOST Junkie

Budke wrote:
Draco wrote:
So let's see, that's about $10K for a full kit assuming you want to keep your stock transfer case. Maybe $8K for a pair of built axles with lockers? Another $9K for a clean 2002 -- 2005 KJ from a non-rusty state. Costs of wheels and tires don't count. Starting from nothing it seems one could have a very sweet setup for $30K. My Gawd that almost MAKES SENSE!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But how would I convince my wife it's her idea?

That's wayyy too much.
You can buy a tj and swap in d44s front and rear with arb or ox lockers, regear, and put 37s on it with a 4.5" long arm kit for less than that.

Sent using the force

Want something unique and cheap get a ZJ or WJ and youll also get a beefy V8 with more then enough power to push that. No sense in getting 37s and had to have that wimpy 4.slow dog you around...

But Im with the other guys, Id rather have a SFA KJ then a TJ. The last thing we need around here is another wrangler as there are plenty of them driving around. The looks I get in my WJ and especially the KJ were great. Everyone was so surprised to see either lifted.

As for the kit sure its pricey, but if you want a SFA in your KJ its going to cost you no matter how you do it and you might as well have a tested setup.

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next