It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: 05 crd limp mode problem! please help!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

96,xxx original miles current July 15, 2012, First off I already replaced the transmission line pressure sensor/governor pressure sensor, solenoid pack (white plug, bought brand new from dealer last week) above the valve body and both filters and refilled with Mopar ATF+4 fluid, and new engine air filter, oil and filter. I have had these codes before and after replacing these parts. The transmission will sometimes shift through all gears flawlessy and smooth whenever the fluid is not up to operating temperature, once hot it seems to revert to the 2nd/3rd gear limp mode and will not use any other forward gear. At one point all of the check engine lights went off and it ran like new for a short time after new parts. Anyway I need help with this diagnosis.
P0700 Cnf & Pnd Mod 12 Transmission control system (malfunction indicator lamp request)
P0988 Cnf & Pnd Mod 41 Transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch E circuit range/performance
P0101 Pnd Mod 12 Mass or Volume air flow A circuit range/performance
It will run with these 3 check engine lights on and perform perfect (not in limp mode) too sometimes.
When not in limp mode the transmission performs like brand new, so I am guessing electrical? Input/output speed sensors? Loose connection? broken/torn/worn wire around TCM? I need to have this fixed in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by akwcrd on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 05 crd transmission (5-45 RFE) problem! PLEASE HELP!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like the transmission temperature sensor to me.

I experienced some of the same issues and it turned out to be the temp sensor.

You may want to replace it prior to any major and costly exploratory work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks I will look into that, I put a new relay in it this morning where the engine compartment fuse panel is, the one that says TCM relay. The check engine lights went off and it ran and shifted perfect, except when you drive it super easy, like staying under 1500 rpms at all time, it shifts a little hard with a clunking noise going into 3rd gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I checked my transmission myself and went to the jeep dealership, this transmission does not have a temperature sensor, so that is ruled out, drove today and it went into limp mode twice (while in limp mode it used 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear only), but was not in limp mode the other 4 times I started it and drove it around town and it was shifting perfect in all 5 gears. Any more clues would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm certainly no 545RFE transmission person but I have a nasty feeling either the FSM is dead wrong, not impossible, or your Jeep dealer is an idiot. Per the FSM "The transmission temperature sensor is a thermistor that is integral to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS)."

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, it does have one. How else would the Trans Temp light in the cluster come on?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
I'm certainly no 545RFE transmission person but I have a nasty feeling either the FSM is dead wrong, not impossible, or your Jeep dealer is an idiot. Per the FSM "The transmission temperature sensor is a thermistor that is integral to the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS)."

Where is this sensor located? I will do some checks on it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I think it's in the valve body, so not easy to get to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Information I searched and read today, give me some feedback on what you think I should check on mine first from this?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7095588/18615 ... n-Sgmldiag

3.2.3 TRANSMISSION CONTROL

The 45RFE/545RFE electronic transmission has a fully adaptive control system. The system per- forms its functions based on continuous real-time sensor feedback information. The control system automatically adapts to changes in engine performance and friction element variations to provide consistent shift quality. The control system ensures that clutch operation during upshifting and down- shifting is more responsive without increased harshness.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) continuously checks for electrical problems, mechanical problems, and some hydraulic problems. When a problem is sensed, the PCM stores a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Some of these codes cause the transmission to go into ‘‘limp-in’’or ‘‘default’’mode. The 45RFE/545RFE has three default modes:
(I) Immediate shutdown

- The PCM de- energizes the transmission control relay. This causes the transmission system to immediately default to third gear if shift lever is in the ‘‘D’’ position, or 2nd gear if it is in the ‘‘2’’ or ‘‘L’’ positions. Park, Neutral, and Reverse are still available.
(O) Orderly Shutdown- If the PCM recognizes a

problem that does not require an immediate shut- down, the transmission will maintain the current gear and the transmission control relay will remain energized until de-energizing it will not overspeed the engine. When the vehicle speed reaches a rea- sonable level the PCM de-energizes the transmission control relay. This causes the transmission system to immediately default to third gear if shift lever is in the ‘‘D’’position, or 2nd gear if it is in the ‘‘2’’or ‘‘L’’positions. Park, Neutral, and Reverse are still available.
(L) Logical Shutdown with Recovery- The

PCM does not de-energize the Transmission Control Relay. Instead, the transmission will utilize 1st and 3rd gears while in ‘‘D’’, and will use 2nd while in ‘‘2’’ or ‘‘L’’. All transmission operation in this mode will be at a preset line pressure (open loop). The trans- mission will resume normal operation (recover) if the detected problem goes away. Three recoveries are permitted in a given key, after the fourth occurrence the operation described above will be maintained.
Once the DRBIII is in the ‘‘EATX’’portion of the
diagnostic program, it constantly monitors the
GENERAL INFORMATION

PCM to see if the system is in limp-in mode. If the transmission is in limp-in mode, the DRBIII will flash the red LED.

3.2.3.1 TRANSMISSION OPERATION AND SHIFT SCHEDULING AT VARIOUS OIL TEMPERATURES

The transmission covered in this manual has unique shift schedules depending on the temperature of the transmission oil. The shift schedule is modified to extend the life of the transmission while operating under extreme conditions.

The oil temperature is measured with a Temperature Sensor on the 45RFE/545RFE transmission. The Temperature Sensor is an integral component of the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS). If the Temperature Sensor is faulty, the transmission will default to a ‘‘calculated’’ oil temperature. Oil temperature will then be calculated using engine cool- ant temperature, battery/ambient temperature, and engine off time from the Body Control Module (BCM). These inputs are received from the communication bus periodically and are used to initialize the oil temperature at start up. Once the engine is started, the PCM updates the transmission oil temperature based on torque converter slip speed, vehicle speed, gear, and engine coolant temperature to determine an estimated oil temperature during vehicle operation. Vehicles using ‘‘calculated oil temperature’’track oil temperature reasonably accurately during normal operation. However, if a transmission is overfilled, a transmission oil cooler becomes restricted, or if a customer drives aggressively in low gear, the calculated oil temperature will be inaccurate. Consequently the shift schedule selected may be inappropriate for the current conditions.
3.2.3.2 LINE PRESSURE CONTROL

Proper control of the transmission line pressure is essential for proper operation. The 45RFE/ 545RFE normally uses closed loop line pressure control, where actual line pressure (reported by the line pressure sensor) is continuously monitored. The PCM determines the desired (target) line pressure which is required, and adjusts the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS) until the actual line pressure matches the desired line pressure value. In the event of a line pressure sensor failure DTC P0932(CA), the PCM changes to an open loop control at an essentially constant line pressure.

Proper diagnosis of line pressure systems is facilitated by the use of a special tool (T-fitting - Miller #8259) which allows the use of a mechanical pressure gauge to compare the line pressure sensor reading on the DRBIII to the gauge pressure.Technicians should compare the mechanical gauge reading with the ‘‘actual’’ and ‘‘desired’’ line pres- sure reading on the DRBIII. All three readings should closely match in pressure. Because the mechanical and actual line pressure may not match the desired at low engine speeds (due to low pump output RPM), line pressure should always be checked at 1500 - 2000 RPM.
Typical Line Pressure problems include:
Mechanical and ‘‘actual’’readings both less than desired

- If the mechanical and ‘‘actual’’readings do not increase significantly as engine speed is raised above 2000 RPM, the pressure control solenoid is usually at fault. The pressure control solenoid is usually accompanied by DTCs P0867(C8) and P0868(C9). The PCS is located in the Transmission Solenoid/TRS assembly.

- If the mechanical and ‘‘actual’’ readings vary with engine speed (above 2000 RPM), the fault is often a sticking main regulator valve. This valve is located in the transmission pump assembly.
‘‘Actual’’reading on the DRBIII differs from the Mechanical Pressure reading (higher or lower) by more than 69kPa (10 PSI). This is sometimes accompanied by a DTC P0869(CB). The fault is usually in the Line Pressure Sensor or the Line Pressure Sensor Wiring.
All three readings match, but the ‘‘actual’’reading exhibits momentary intermittent pressure increases to 1724 kPa (250 PSI). The line Pressure Sensor is usually the problem. This will cause erratic shift quality (particularly a harsh 3-1 coast down shift), repair by replacing the Line Pressure Sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

The trans. temp light has never come on, but I believe you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:

If that sensor is in the solenoid pack, I already replaced that, I read somewhere that, that is where it is located.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am going to take it to the dealer and let them run their computer on it tomorrow, cause I am lost on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

akwcrd wrote:
The trans. temp light has never come on, but I believe you.

The transmission temp light never came on in mine either.

Not sure why but they had to replace the transmission cooler too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 am 
LOST Newbie

That is weird, I seen where the trans temp light is on the dash (lower center in cluster) the only thing that would make sense is if the sensor was broke so the trans. temp sensor wasn't giving a reading so the light didn't have a signal, but it does seem that mine could have that same problem. I'm going to let the dealer run the DRBIII on it today to see if that is for sure what it is, because I have already spent $500 guessing so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 am 
LOST Newbie

akwcrd wrote:
I am going to take it to the dealer and let them run their computer on it tomorrow, cause I am lost on this.

Dealer said they were booked until tuesday july 24th at 9 am! so I guess I am waiting another week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know where you are located but any shop with a DRBIII should be able to read and clear all your codes. I know DRBIIIs are not everywhere but they are not limited to Dealers.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:35 am 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
I don't know where you are located but any shop with a DRBIII should be able to read and clear all your codes. I know DRBIIIs are not everywhere but they are not limited to Dealers.

Appreciate the info. I will call around and check other places.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

A transmission shop around the corner from me has a snap-on universal DRBIII scanner and said to bring it in tomorrow morning and they'll get it in sometime during the day to diagnose it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

So they did not run it through all of the test, but the transmission does go into limp mode once it is up to operating temp. and the A/C is on. A/C off it seems it might just stay cool enough to stay running normal and no codes come on. I don't understand why the A/C and trans. fluid would be on the same grid/condenser.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm 
LOST Addict

akwcrd wrote:
So they did not run it through all of the test, but the transmission does go into limp mode once it is up to operating temp. and the A/C is on. A/C off it seems it might just stay cool enough to stay running normal and no codes come on. I don't understand why the A/C and trans. fluid would be on the same grid/condenser.

Its just the way they designed it. I guess with your AC running your tranny cooler cannot dump enough heat.

What part of the world are you in?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next