It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:26 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry, not quite sure where to post this so feel free to move it.
I have been watching videos of the Rubicon trail. I was wondering if any KJ is capable or has already completed it successfully. Non SFA.
This trail isnt all that far from me so its in my mind as a future goal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Yes 2 totally stock KJ's have done the Rubicon trail,Jeep took 2 of the 1st prototypes through it.I would not recomend it but it can be done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:55 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Elgin, IL (Chicago burb)
Yeah, it's a great future goal.

I've had a map of the Rubicon posted on the wall by my desk at work for a while now. My goal is to get Grumpy through it without any major damage.

Jeep drove the new Grands through it stock and came out with a bit of damage.
Image

Image

Image

Looks like some armor might be a good idea.

_________________
Aaron

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am
Posts: 1336
Location: Greenwood SC
I plan on doing it as soon as mine gets lockers. I figure with 4.10 and 4 to 1 transfer case with lockers I should have a low enough crawl ratio to do it comfortably. But I think with some armor and a nice set of tires a KJ should be fine if the new grands did it.

_________________
My CRD Build Thread
Soon to Come:more lights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Brooklyn, NY Kunkletown, PA
I don't know if my KJ came out before the trail rated badge or not, but mine never came with one. Or, maybe it was just knocked off before I got it.

Mine is one of the earliest versions, it has drum rears, no gas tank skid, but an engine skid, it also is four wheel drive.

It gets me by with all the off-roading I do for work, but I don't think I want to really wheel it until I replace the suspension.

_________________
2002 KJ Limited 3.7
Completely Stock
215/85R16 Kevlar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 pm
Posts: 271
Location: Palm Desert, CA
I have seen somewhere the trip report for the Liberty on the Rubicon, done by Jeep during their test. They came back with major body damage and some transmission problems. As I remember the transfer case skid was pushed up into the transmission/transfer case and cracked it. Did they do it, yes.

So, before you venture out to a double black diamond, rated one of the most difficult in the country, you might want to do Holcomb Creek and John Bull in our local mountains......just to test and tune you know?

gg

_________________
2004 KJ Limited
Eaton "e" locker front
Detroit Locker rear
Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am
Posts: 1336
Location: Greenwood SC
A set of rock sliders and heavy skid set and you should be fine.

_________________
My CRD Build Thread
Soon to Come:more lights


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 100
These guys do it. Its all in spanish but ive watched all 9 parts and i thought it was pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfle7kR ... ure=relmfu

I only live about an hour and a half away from the Rubicon, but im still not gonna try it

_________________
02 LIberty Renegade
OME/Bilstein
JBA Gen4.5
IRO 3 Linked
245/75 Duratracs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 am
Posts: 183
Location: Presque Isle, Maine
I've watched those 9 parts on Youtube as well, as the Rubicon has always been a dream of mine someday, and I wondered the same question as to whether a KJ could do the trail. They seem more involved with their super flexy WJ in the videos, but the KJ did well.

_________________
Ironman HD springs, Bilsteins, MLL's, Mopar skids 245 75 16 Treadwright Claw's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
Wow! thanks for the replies guys. I would love to do it some day in my liberty! Not complete it like GrannyGoat said..extensive damage and getting pulled out of every obstacle
Yes, I am a complete beginer at wheeling now. This is a years away sort of dream. I cant wait to watch the video of the KJs when I get home from work!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Our KJ will be doing the Rubicon next June.
Locked front and rear and all the other crap needed to protect the underside.
What's the big deal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:48 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:25 am
Posts: 620
Location: San Antonio, Tx
That's my future goal too. I want to be one of the first KK's to complete the Rubicon. Of course I need to add more armor and pay it off first, lol.

_________________
(The worst thing you can do to a Jeep...is never taking it off road.)
'15 WK2 Ecodiesel Overland (My Overland rig)
'11 Green KK Renegade (My Crawler!)
Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Ryn7 wrote:
Our KJ will be doing the Rubicon next June.


I can't wait to hear a trip report. 8)

Ryn7 wrote:
Locked front and rear and all the other crap needed to protect the underside.
What's the big deal?


It's a big deal if you want to escape the trail without any damage.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Ryn7 wrote:
Our KJ will be doing the Rubicon next June.


I can't wait to hear a trip report. 8)

Four weeks, going across the USA taking as many secondary and alternate routes across to Mount Rushmore.
Whether we hit the Rubicon on the way there or on the direction home...


Ryn7 wrote:
Locked front and rear and all the other crap needed to protect the underside.
What's the big deal?


It's a big deal if you want to escape the trail without any damage.


Sometimes damage to your vehicle is inevitable.
That's how it goes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Well in a few days a subaru will be able to do the Rubicon trail with no damage.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1093411-urgent-little-sluice-altered-friday.html

Guess no use of planning a trip out there now,they already destroyed the Gate Keeper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is there a KJ capable of doing the Rubicon trail?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA via Pittsburgh, PA
tjkj2002 wrote:
Well in a few days a subaru will be able to do the Rubicon trail with no damage.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1093411-urgent-little-sluice-altered-friday.html

Guess no use of planning a trip out there now,they already destroyed the Gate Keeper.


What is there reasoning behind this? Doesnt seem to make much sense


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com