It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Racor Fuel Filter Installation Details
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI - on step 10 Biohazard's comment on the Racor was that they don't recommend Teflon tape because it could leave particles in the line

Well I tried it without tape and had drips

However Greasy Bob recommended I look for hydraulic sealant and I found this

Permatex Hydraulic Sealant

Item # Container Size
54540 36 ml bottle

one of the claims is seals without particles that could contaminate systems.

shops around here didn't stock it and wanted $40 to order it - but Amazon had it for $20 free shipping

I think I used about 6-8 drops...... works great.

Well - I need to retract that endorsement - works great for warm weather - but when it got cold I was tracking down an intermittent air leak - finally cleaned off all the sealant and put on Teflon tape - it's working better now - but it got warm about the same time - need to see how it starts after the next cold front.

Last edited by ATXKJ on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice find. I used teflon tape, but next time I have to service it, I'll remove it and use this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

For anyone who searches P0108 and gets this thread....

I tried one 2200 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor and the light persisted. However when I installed 2 of them in parallel the light went out. Maybe the resistance the computer looking for is 1100, not sure, but one didn't work and two seems to have. YMMV.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, bringing the topic back from the dead....again. I installed the Racor today with the WIF and the Omega thermocouple. However, I immediately got the CEL and it persists. Does the thermocouple have polarity? I could not see a specific +/- on the heater sensor wiring so I just hooked it up. It should be an easy fix, but I have soldered the connectors to a weatherproof connector already and swapping the polarity requires removing the connector, switching, and resoldering.

Also, do the WIF sensor and heater have a polarity as well? I've searched all around and found nothing to indicate this is so.

Thanks

05 CRD Limited- Frankie IIP Lift w/spacer JBA 6" springs in rear- ProComp Street Lock steel wheels - ARB Bumper- Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line- RRO Rails/Roof Rack- 2300W Power Inverter- 4.10 gears w/ARB Air Lockers F&R- JBA A-Arms- Viar Air Compressor/Tank- RL Super Skink Sliders-JBA Steel D30S Front Diff, Non-shiny new Paint, OD Green

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

I just installed mine too. None have polarity. What code are you getting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I haven't had a chance to pull the code yet. I'll check it out tomorrow. Perhaps I just have a bad connection. Thanks!

05 CRD Limited- Frankie IIP Lift w/spacer JBA 6" springs in rear- ProComp Street Lock steel wheels - ARB Bumper- Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line- RRO Rails/Roof Rack- 2300W Power Inverter- 4.10 gears w/ARB Air Lockers F&R- JBA A-Arms- Viar Air Compressor/Tank- RL Super Skink Sliders-JBA Steel D30S Front Diff, Non-shiny new Paint, OD Green

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep, it was a bad connection, the code is now gone. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

Just wondering if the filter is holding up to the 10,000 mile suggested life? Hopefully the filters can be had for less than the $20 plus shipping that I see? Thanks for any reports

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:06 am 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
Just wondering if the filter is holding up to the 10,000 mile suggested life? Hopefully the filters can be had for less than the $20 plus shipping that I see? Thanks for any reports

I've run the last 2 Racor R25S (2 micron filter) 24k miles without issue. I do have a Carter in-tank lift pump.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 pm 
LOST Addict

95Z28A4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I've run the last 2 Racor R25S (2 micron filter) 24k miles without issue. I do have a Carter in-tank lift pump.

Wow, Many thanks for the report! With that much life secondary filtration isn't worth clogging up the engine bay :rockon: And then there's no need to carry two different emergency filters as well in case of bad fuel, or if you accidentally put bio diesel in on a California road trip like I did once. I was so tired that the yellow handle didn't wake me up :dizzy: surprised I didn't get arrested for all the diesel I leaked on the ground at the gas station when I changed the filter after the jeep started bucking

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:47 pm 

95Z28A4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Thanks for the info!
Note: Thread mounting size for this filter is 1"-14, so it will not screw onto an OEM filter head. (OEM filter head threads are: 16 X1.5 MM)
I noticed on their website, they DO recommend using a Clear Bowl (PN - RK 22350-02) in conjunction with this filter which is certainly a good idea for visual water separation!

What is the WIF sensor thread size on the bottom of this filter, they do not list them, are they ½" x 20 like most Racor filters?
Mopar OEM WIF sensor threads are: M12 x 1.5

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:00 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
95Z28A4 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Thanks for the info!
Note: Thread mounting size for this filter is 1"-14, so it will not screw onto an OEM filter head. (OEM filter head threads are: 16 X1.5 MM)
I noticed on their website, they DO recommend using a Clear Bowl (PN - RK 22350-02) in conjunction with this filter which is certainly a good idea for visual water separation!

What is the WIF sensor thread size on the bottom of this filter, they do not list them, are they ½" x 20 like most Racor filters?
Mopar OEM WIF sensor threads are: M12 x 1.5

They are different but the Racor sensor will function on the factory wiring. I swapped the connector and it’s totally plug n play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:07 pm 
LOST Member

Here's the part numbers needed for the Racor fuel head and pieces/parts to make it plug-n-play.

Fuel filter head - Racor 245R122 with heater and electrical connector
WIF sensor - Racor RK30694 with connector
Temperature sensor - Omega TH-44004-1/4NPT-12 ("12" is the length of the leads. It can be ordered any length by calling.)
APEX 2 way male housing - 649-54200210 (http://www.mouser.com)
APEX 2 way female housing - 649-54200206 (http://www.mouser.com)
APEX 2.8MM male terminal (22 gauge) - 829-10762776 (for Omega sensor) (http://www.mouser.com)
APEX 2.8MM female terminal (18 - 20 gauge) - 829-10757690-L (for CRD wiring) (http://www.mouser.com)

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 pm 

mass-hole wrote:
They are different but the Racor sensor will function on the factory wiring. I swapped the connector and it’s totally plug n play

I concur, I am running a Racor 1/2"x20 WIF sensor PN RK 30964 on my Donaldson Primary filter clear water bowl. :wink:
I simply cut the wires going the OEM WIF sensor and replaced it with the Racor sensor.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Newbie

I stripped out the thread of the fuel head tonight when I was redoing my fuel filter. So frustrating, was actually wrapping up a frustrating Weeks Stage 1 kit install, thought I was over the hump.

Replaced the fuel filter because I was close to being due and the install of the stage 1 kit suggested taking the fuel head off and moving it anyway. 2 birds 1 stone kind of deal. Had just got everything put back together when I was pumping the system and double checking myself and tightened too far. :banghead:

I really don't want to dump more money in it than I need to. I was installing the EGR delete because I bought it back in September and never had a chance to put it on. So I sort of have a two-fold question:

How cost-effective is the Racor route? Otherwise, if I have to buy a new (stock replacement) fuel head, best place to go? I see ID parts has the "updated fuel head" but looks exactly like the one I have. Plus, I just bought a fuel filter from them and that kit comes with one. How can I tell if the PO did that upgrade or not?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Im starting this project shortly any suggestions or straightforward, the omega sensors just for the fuel heater and problems gonna stay with stock lift pump or do i have to upgrade it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 am 
LOST Addict

LibertyCRD06 wrote:
Im starting this project shortly any suggestions or straightforward, the omega sensors just for the fuel heater and problems gonna stay with stock lift pump or do i have to upgrade it

The O.E. fuel system on the Liberty CRD never came with a lift pump in the fuel tank. This is one of the main reasons why there have been fuel starvation issues and the odd fire in the fuel filter head, (the heating element in the filter head is supposed to be bathed in the fuel). Without a lift pump, any engine performance upgrades will likely increase the chances of fuel starvation and possible fires. This is why one of the most important upgrades for the CRD is to install an in-tank fuel lift pump to provide positive pressure through the fuel filter head to the CP3 pump.

Why Daimler Chrysler never installed fuel lift pumps in their Liberty CRDs is a mystery, but most of us have assumed that they simply were being cheap.

I will be installing the Airtex E7181M pump I purchased recently in one of my CRD tanks, and I will be also installing the separate fuel dip tube for a Webasto diesel fueled engine coolant heater at the same time. This way I will only be dropping the fuel tank once.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 am 
LOST Newbie

So realistically i dont need the upgrade fuel filter just a lift pump or both

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:52 am 

LibertyCRD06 wrote:
So realistically i dont need the upgrade fuel filter just a lift pump or both

Install an intank lift pump first! That will put your entire fuel system under pressure all the way from inside the fuel tank to the back of the CP3 injection pump.
Air in fuel problems will be a thing of the past! :D
If there are any leaks anywhere on the fuel system, it will be evident very quickly as fuel will leak out.
If anything on the stock fuel filter head is leaking fuel or has visual indications of overheating of the fuel heater or it's connector, it should be replaced.
Otherwise, replacement is not necessary.... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks all i was looking for was a little direction so i will have the replace the filter anyways but ill use a new stock one plastic doesn't like fire to much greatly appreciate it