It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: high idle
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is it possible to add a high idle switch? It would be very useful for cold weather or even if your running lots of electronics

Post subject: Re: high idle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 am 
LOST Junkie

Don't know why you'd find such a thing useful -- or how to go about arranging it, short of placing a brick on the go-pedal. Although since the "throttle" is simply a rheostat to tell the ECU to go faster, it would be pretty simple to add one.

Do be aware that diesels simply do not warm up at idle in cold weather. None of them do. If you are planning to leave it idle in the driveway while you eat breakfast so it'll be warm when you head for work, this is futile, and a total waste of fuel, because diesels simply do not waste as much fuel directly to heat as gassers do.

All that said, how much electronic gear are you running that the alternator doesn't put out enough to cover it at idle? You do know, I hope, that the difference in alternator output between an 850 rpm idle and a 1000 or 1200 rpm idle is going to be pretty small.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:22 am 
LOST Newbie

As of right now none and I plan to add lots of lights...and every bit helps...also it would be help it warm up better IMO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

IMHO the best way to warm up in cold weather is to plug the block heater in on a timer set to come on ca. 2 hrs before crankup. Absent power for a block heater crank up, idle for say 30 seconds to get fluids circulating, and then drive gently until your temp gauge shows signs of life. I've owned several diesels and not a single one of them, CRD included, warmed up worth a d... just sitting still idling. Even if they did, as a gasser will, that only warms up the engine oil and coolant and does nothing for the transmission and other drive line fluids. Idling to warm up has been recommended against for decades.

As to the separate issue of electronics you may want to look into demand vs output at idle and consider contacting geordi who routinely ran all sorts of electronics in his CRD doing film work. I suspect he has good information on what the system will support at idle.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

blackDiesel wrote:
Is it possible to add a high idle switch? It would be very useful for cold weather or even if your running lots of electronics

Smoke switch, High idle switch. What's next?

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Look, Diesels don't warm up like gas engines do. Take their advice and plug in your block heater. It doesn't use that much juice, and if you are concerned (although I'd think anyone that's interested in a smoke switch wouldn't care honestly) then buy a timer, otherwise just get a good indoor/outdoor power cord and run it under your garage door or just off the porch or wherever your outdoor power outlet is located to the cord on the front of your jeep.

Your jeep will warm up much more quickly with the block even 40 degrees rather than -20, trust me I spent a winter east of Ashtabula, OH in the snow belt with mine.

Insofar as lights, why would you worry about a bigger alternator? It's going to generate enough electricity to power light sets while running, unless you just want to leave your jeep at idle for hours running 8 Hella lights for no good reason (Play baseball?)....

A lot of weird questions come to mind, but yeah, plug in your block heater and it will warm up 10x faster. If you are having heat issues they may be more Thermostat related anyways, mine gets so hot I don't want to be in the cabin with it, I want to hang my head out the window like a dog!

:-)r

Good Luck.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hexus makes a good point in passing. To be more specific if you are having warming up issues then one question to ask is whether or not your tstat in working properly. Obviously it takes longer to reach operating temp in cold weather w/wo the block heater and I certainly cannot offer an opinion on how long once you get down below about 20-25F which is about as cold as it gets here. But regardless of where you are if your temp gauge never reaches a slight bit left of vertical (ex. sits at 3/8ths) forget about everything else and replace the tstat because it's shot.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:51 pm 
LOST Member

If you are not the original owner, it is possible the relay controlling the viscous heater may have been removed in order to gain mpg. During highway driving the VC doesn't run much only until coolant has reached a given temp, say full operating temp, then it stops. In city driving conditions such as rush hour beep & creep, it will run more often in the cold weather, especially if the t-stat is starting to fail.

And Papa is right. 2 hrs on a timer for the block heater is about right. Cabin is getting heat within 2 blocks of the house.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

My tstat good...I am going to try to ground out the throttle wire on the ECU for high idle I will post back with my findings..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

It will not warm up by idling it. fast idling or 3000 rpm on cold start will do more harm than good. Idle it for a few minutes before driving. You are not listening to good advice. You, sir, are asking for trouble by dicking with the CRD the way you have been describing. It is not like other diesels as others have already stated... more than once. My :2cents: and to each their own.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

My old 6.0 warmed up fine on cold mornings...and my co worker ( went to school for diesel ) said there should be factory programming all ready there for colder climates just gotta find wire...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

There is no wire for high idle on the KJ. The elevated idle set point is based on coolant temp. Once it starts to warem the idle will drop from about 1000 rpm back to 760 rpm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

In that case I wonder how hard it would be to rig something up to child the peddel down some I'll have to make a trip to Lowes to figure this one out...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am expecting to see a post.. "For Sale, Jeep Liberty CRD. Numerous Electrical Issues. Cheap"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

ChooChooman74 wrote:
I am expecting to see a post.. "For Sale, Jeep Liberty CRD. Numerous Electrical Issues. Cheap"

I was thinking the same thing :-)r :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
There is no wire for high idle on the KJ. The elevated idle set point is based on coolant temp. Once it starts to warem the idle will drop from about 1000 rpm back to 760 rpm.

Mine really never runs at elevated idle, even on a cold start it settles down to 700 or so within a few seconds, not sure if something is wrong or not.

Blackdiesel, your 6.0, and most other truck diesel engines, are very different from this engine. The only electrical mod worth pursuing is buying the GDE tune, which is a huge improvement over stock. Anything else is going to be trouble for you. Is it that big a deal to get in and drive it a few minutes in the cold while it warms up?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 pm 
LOST Member

On the other hand, if you need your alternator to run faster, couldn't you just put on a smaller pulley?

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Anyone know what GDE landed on for rpm's for the elevated idle? And also, would an engine warm up faster in drive and neutral?
Drive sounds likes a no-brainer as there would be a load, right?
Trying to maximize my warm up time without reinstalling the Viscous heater.
Might end up with a webasto, but I prefer less wires, parts, and more open space...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 pm 
LOST Addict

GDE mentioned that the idle would go to 1000 rpm till temp sensor gets some heat then down to 760 but I don't think mine stays at 1000 for any significant time at say 5degrees F . I do turn on my electric seat heaters not only to keep me warm but it puts a pretty big load on alternator and I think that extra drag in turn helps engine warm faster.
Since the throttle is electronic I am sure it could be modified to idle faster with a switch but I don't have any need to try it.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

TKB4 wrote:
I do turn on my electric seat heaters not only to keep me warm but it puts a pretty big load on alternator and I think that extra drag in turn helps engine warm faster.

Depending on the load an alternator uses around 1-4 HP, If you figure on a cold start batteries are in need of charge and you are using seat heaters maybe it is using 2 HP, then if your defrost is on the compressor is another 4 HP or so. So you bring up an interesting point, is a 6 HP load (beyond normal idle load) enough to speed up the warmup? My guess is it's not enough to matter in any measurable amount, I remember in mine having to drive uphill or accelerate to really speed up the warming, but then again it can't hurt either.