It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4.7 V8 Liberty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello all. My name is Matt. I am the other tech that worked on this swap.. It is doing very well. Has not fallen out. Has not blown up.

The owner of it was the main installer and fabricator.. The reason he has not replied is due only to a very busy period in life..

If anyone has any specific questions, i will be happy to answer them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Apercep wrote:
Hello all. My name is Matt. I am the other tech that worked on this swap.. It is doing very well. Has not fallen out. Has not blown up.

The owner of it was the main installer and fabricator.. The reason he has not replied is due only to a very busy period in life..

FIRST
Welcome to LOST
NEXT
I'd suggest starting a new post with all of his info on it so its all together and easy to find
Run down of all parts used, from which vehicles/ model years etc
Any issues you ran into,
what you would do different the next time
pros and cons of doing it
That would be enough for today
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:ROTFL:
:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Apercep wrote:

Welcome to LOST! We all look forward to reading about the experience!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy Matt - yes - as much info as possible
I'm thinking the mechanically it shouldn't be too difficult - the 3.7 and 4.7 are close
did it need new engine mounts?
change radiator position?
cables? connections?

but most significantly - Electronics - how did the computers match up?
is it just pull everything out of the donor?
- any wiring modes needed?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright. Due to the hectic schedule the Fourseven has, I am gonna give a quick and dirty once-over on the swap.

Mechanically, the engine mounts from the 3.7 had to be slightly modded (drill some new holes) and the mounts on the K-member were moved forward.. The radiator was left as is. The fan was replaced with an aftermarket slim fan for clearance. The AC was kept from the 3.7. The exhaust Y-pipe was custom fabbed.

The bulk of the work was in the wiring. The WJ PCM and TCM were used in the swap. the WJ engine and trans harness was completely torn apart and re-pinned into the KJ body harness and engine and trans connectors.. you could call that a wiring mod... Then the computers were reprogrammed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

This was part of the process:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 pm 

and again maybe start your own thread to keep everything together for those that are following your / his build

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 am 
LOST Newbie

i am going to let him start the new thread..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Apercep wrote:
Alright. Due to the hectic schedule the Fourseven has, I am gonna give a quick and dirty once-over on the swap.

Mechanically, the engine mounts from the 3.7 had to be slightly modded (drill some new holes) and the mounts on the K-member were moved forward.. The radiator was left as is. The fan was replaced with an aftermarket slim fan for clearance. The AC was kept from the 3.7. The exhaust Y-pipe was custom fabbed.

The bulk of the work was in the wiring. The WJ PCM and TCM were used in the swap. the WJ engine and trans harness was completely torn apart and re-pinned into the KJ body harness and engine and trans connectors.. you could call that a wiring mod... Then the computers were reprogrammed.

Awesome. Who did you have do the reprogramming?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did.... I have access to a Chrysler scan tool..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Apercep wrote:

what scan tool did you use drb3, star scan or Starmobile?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

teckman02 wrote:
Apercep wrote:

what scan tool did you use drb3, star scan or Starmobile?

That would depend on the year of the KJ and computer going in.Up to '04 is DRBIII and '05+ is the Starscan(star mobile).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

What was the most difficult aspect of the install? What unexpected issues did you encounter that presented the biggest problem? Anything that you would you wouldve done differently in hindsight?

Again, great job on the install. Kickass job on the whole thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

How about this take on wiring and programming:

Quote:
Hi Patrick

The best and easiest way to do a modern day engine swap is to use 2 ECM, dual computer system.
Keep the jeep liberty ECM (ECM1)in the vehicle to control the dash board (fuel gages, tack, exct…) need the crank censer from ECM1 attached to the new engine to bring the original ECM1 to life. You may need to add an exciter ring from the liberty engine to the new engine. This is so ECM1 thinks it is still attached to the V6.

Next with the new engine/trans/ECM (use both with it factory ECM (ECM2) attached) Now ECM2 controls only the engine/trans functions as a standalone system.  Keeping the engine and trans together with the ECM2, the shift points will be intact with the engine throttle position, tack, and the output censer in the trans.  Now you can use a std after market flash on the ECM form the original vehicle configuration.

This is the most economical and most reliable way to do a modern day engine swap. 

Anyone thought of this approach before? Seems there may be more than one way to skin a cat on this one. Definitely the least intrusive and simple idea that I've heard so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Honduras wrote:

Quote:
Hi Patrick

The best and easiest way to do a modern day engine swap is to use 2 ECM, dual computer system.
Keep the jeep liberty ECM (ECM1)in the vehicle to control the dash board (fuel gages, tack, exct…) need the crank censer from ECM1 attached to the new engine to bring the original ECM1 to life. You may need to add an exciter ring from the liberty engine to the new engine. This is so ECM1 thinks it is still attached to the V6.

Next with the new engine/trans/ECM (use both with it factory ECM (ECM2) attached) Now ECM2 controls only the engine/trans functions as a standalone system.  Keeping the engine and trans together with the ECM2, the shift points will be intact with the engine throttle position, tack, and the output censer in the trans.  Now you can use a std after market flash on the ECM form the original vehicle configuration.

This is the most economical and most reliable way to do a modern day engine swap. 

Anyone thought of this approach before? Seems there may be more than one way to skin a cat on this one. Definitely the least intrusive and simple idea that I've heard so far.

sounds like a lot more work for me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

That just sounds horrible..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

teckman02 wrote:
Honduras wrote:

Quote:
Hi Patrick

sounds like a lot more work for me

Actually easier then you think and by far the easiest as little to no wiring mods needed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looking into picking up an 04 1500 4.7 HO this week. Might be able to do this by the end of next month if all goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Apercep wrote:
That just sounds horrible..

So hope your talking about the all the work and not the exhaust lol jk

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next