It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Excessive White smoke after MAP Cleaning and EHM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Joke aside, don't want to get in between you guys, but too many warnings are not very useful IMO. Whoever decides to follow advices from this forum is doing this on his/her own risk. A general warning on the noob guide would be probably a good idea, especially useful for the type of people that need warning labels with "do not drink" on poison, antifreeze, etc. not trying to be ironic but there are such people, unfortunately...

The general consensus is, lots of CRD owners have the EHM, it is just a piece of hose, what can go wrong? It went wrong with OP, and I can bet he wishes his only problem right now, is a little goo on the MAP, while he is out driving his new CRD instead of getting a crash coarse in VM seal an turbo replacement, not too mention the high cost of these parts?

I can bet he wishes he could have seen a thread like this before he proceeded?

So lets leave it to xseadogx, xseadogx would you have liked a warning before you did the EHM, or are you OK with what has happened?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:37 am 
LOST Junkie

OK..OK boys. Lots of shots fired here. We are all here to keep our Jeeps running and help others do the same.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

Post subject: Excessive White smoke after MAP Cleaning and EHM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 am 
LOST Addict

flman wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Joke aside, don't want to get in between you guys, but too many warnings are not very useful IMO. Whoever decides to follow advices from this forum is doing this on his/her own risk. A general warning on the noob guide would be probably a good idea, especially useful for the type of people that need warning labels with "do not drink" on poison, antifreeze, etc. not trying to be ironic but there are such people, unfortunately...

The general consensus is, lots of CRD owners have the EHM, it is just a piece of hose, what can go wrong? It went wrong with OP, and I can bet he wishes his only problem right now, is a little goo on the MAP, while he is out driving his new CRD instead of getting a crash coarse in VM seal an turbo replacement, not too mention the high cost of these parts?

So lets leave it to xseadogx, xseadogx would you have liked a warning before you did the EHM, or are you OK with what has happened?

In sense of fairness, I can see a point in regards to specific warnings for ehm... Many folks in tdi forum ran into similar issues due to freezing ehm because of condensation. That's why punching holes in the ehm was recommended, especially for people in the north. Personally, I don't like ehm since its some sort of band aid compared to provent, which, if done right, it's unlikely to freeze (even though I've heard of such cases, but never happened to me and I live in Cleveland, where its almost all the time below freezing during the winter, but when I drive the crd I always go over 10 miles and the car is always garaged while at home). From the people that used ehm, many routed the hose close to the engine compartment to allow the frozen condensation to melt. But yea, ehm can be a dangerous mod if not done right... And almost pointless when having a gde tune.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm 
LOST Member

I do not want to start anything but I fail to understand why one is so riled up, here in this forum people contribute to help each other and contributions of the pioneers are massive to say the least, now as regards to the warning on mods every mod or repair has some kind of flip side/ pitfall to it , and good thing being a human is that we all mess up somewhere along the way even when we line up our dots and tees, so there is no need to be touchy feely about it.
Noobs like me are more likely to mess up than the pros, I recently went through a similar experience when I used engine flush in oil and it did mess up things for me but who is to be blamed, no one except me, as at the time it seemed like the best idea and I did not read up enough into it now I would advise people against it and would never do it again.
Then again I picked up so many upgrades and smart mods here that have made my jeeping so much fun and I can not thank people enough.
So info is out here what and how you do with it is entirely upto You. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nicely said!

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
In sense of fairness, I can see a point in regards to specific warnings for ehm... Many folks in tdi forum ran into similar issues due to freezing ehm because of condensation. That's why punching holes in the ehm was recommended, especially for people in the north. Personally, I don't like ehm since its some sort of band aid compared to provent, which, if done right, it's unlikely to freeze (even though I've heard of such cases, but never happened to me and I live in Cleveland, where its almost all the time below freezing during the winter, but when I drive the crd I always go over 10 miles and the car is always garaged while at home). From the people that used ehm, many routed the hose close to the engine compartment to allow the frozen condensation to melt. But yea, ehm can be a dangerous mod if not done right... And almost pointless when having a gde tune.

I was in the TDI gang a long time ago, and I had the Epsilonion device on my 98, the diesel geek EGR delete along with the MAF twist on my 2002, I even tried the EHM back in those days, but way back then we also came to a logic that if you stop the CCV the EGR will not plug up the manifold, or if you stop the EGR the CCV will not plug up the manifold.

I really do not miss the odor of CC vapors or the oil stain on my garage floor, glad I just went with the EGR delete, cause we all knew a long time ago that is was the combination of the two that caused the build up in the manifold and on the MAP. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 am 
LOST Newbie

flman wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't here during the middle of the conversation. Personally the way I see it is,I believe that without threats of freezing temps if I did the mod exactly as described by Sir Sam there would be no issue. So I did it my way, and forgot a step so here we are. So I personally think there doesn't really need to be a warning. The word Modification should be warning enough to anyone with common sense, not just here on LOST or with CRD's, but everywhere. Notice the use of I it all falls on me.

82 VW rabbit truck aka Caddy
1.6diesel under construction but still runs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was told long ago that a little oil in the intake doesn't hurt. VM America doesn't believe in the EHM.

GDE, does not run with an EHM.

What hurts our engines the most is when that oil vapor becomes super heated while passing through the hot EGR system, it is then that it coagulates around the perimeter walls of the intake.

It is then that it becomes gel like in some areas and hard soot in others, reducing air flow to the combustion chambers because air passages become clogged like plaque around arteries and robbing MPG's ......... that's when the real problem arises. Soot kills our engines quickly.

Unplugging the MAF sensor stops the EGR system from operating and the sooner everyone does that the better your engine will be. The only bad part about it is living with the engine light on.

Unplug the MAF sensor and live with the engine light on or better yet get a GDE tune, it will solve that problem and many others, while keeping the engine light off.

I do not run with an "Elephant Hose Mod", but don't let me stop you.

Just my :2cents:

Last edited by racertracer on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

xseadogx wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't here during the middle of the conversation. Personally the way I see it is,I believe that without threats of freezing temps if I did the mod exactly as described by Sir Sam there would be no issue. So I did it my way, and forgot a step so here we are. So I personally think there doesn't really need to be a warning. The word Modification should be warning enough to anyone with common sense, not just here on LOST or with CRD's, but everywhere. Notice the use of I it all falls on me.

So, did you make any progress resolving this, or still waiting for parts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 am 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
I was told long ago that a little oil in the intake doesn't hurt. VM America doesn't believe in the EHM.

GDE, does not run with an EHM.

What hurts our engines the most is when that oil vapor becomes super heated while passing through the hot EGR system, it is then that it coagulates around the perimeter walls of the intake.

It is then that it becomes gel like in some areas and hard soot in others, reducing air flow to the combustion chambers because air passages become clogged like plaque around arteries and robbing MPG's ......... that's when the real problem arises. Soot kills our engines quickly.

Unplugging the MAF sensor stops the EGR system from operating and the sooner everyone does that the better your engine will be. The only bad part about it is living with the engine light on.

Unplug the MAF sensor and live with the engine light on or better yet get a GDE tune, it will solve that problem and many others, while keeping the engine light off.

I do not run with an "Elephant Hose Mod", but don't let me stop you.

Just my :2cents:

racertracer: Totally agree with your statements. Question....do you currently have a CRD? I see one was totaled and you have a KJ but is it a CRD?

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 pm 
LOST Member

So what is the bottom line? EHM is possibly bad especially in the north where freeze up can occur. Provent is good but can possibly freeze in extreme cold. BMW cyclonic is good but make sure hoses are large enough so it can't freeze. Should both the Provent and BMW cyclonic return to the intake hose or can they return to the intake filter housing?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

joelukex4 wrote:
So what is the bottom line? EHM is possibly bad especially in the north where freeze up can occur. Provent is good but can possibly freeze in extreme cold. BMW cyclonic is good but make sure hoses are large enough so it can't freeze. Should both the Provent and BMW cyclonic return to the intake hose or can they return to the intake filter housing?

The bottom line is this.

1. IF you have a GDE tune you really dont need any EHM, Provent or any other system.
2. If you do have a system it need to be installed correctly and cleaned often.
3. As far as return? I have my Provent going back to the turbo intake.
4. Using these systems have some risk.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kjjet wrote:
Question....do you currently have a CRD? I see one was totaled and you have a KJ but is it a CRD?

KJ Jet,

Yes, I Own a CRD.

I updated my signature to reflect that .... TY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
kjjet wrote:
Question....do you currently have a CRD? I see one was totaled and you have a KJ but is it a CRD?

KJ Jet,

Yes, I Own a CRD.

I updated my signature to reflect that .... TY

I thought so from what you were talking. Not that it matters. But good to know.
I'm doing a T-belt for a member on Monday.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My TB has 55k miles and 7.5 years on it.

I may join you on the next TB party.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
My TB has 55k miles and 7.5 years on it.

I may join you on the next TB party.

No party, Just trying to help out a few CRD owners that live close by.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 pm 
LOST Member

So any update what was the extent of damage and any repairs lined up...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm 
LOST Member

I assumed he vented the end of the tube and drove off into the horizon. With rear seal intact, he probably didn't do any permanent harm.

Guys who drive Jeeps with Italian diesels are not good at going along with the crowd. We share info here. . . and we make up our own minds as to what mods we do to OUR vehicles.

If somebody gets tense or insulting, just don't reply and the tension is dead. Toss back an insult and you may get sucked into a flame war.

I run the EHM and use whatever kind of oil I want and don't care what people think. I run the improved OEM CAC hoses and they are like new after 30k miles.

Ya pay yer money and ya take yer chances. . . after all it is your money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey, I am still, here just real busy with life, had to help a friend move instead of work on the jeep. As far as update I have all my hoses, the turbo doesn't seem to have any bad play. changed the oil, waiting for a hoses. I was going to do the seals and change the timing belt while in the front of the motor, but the wife misses me and would rather have me around to spend time with her and my little daughter. So it is going to the shop of the guy who does our work trucks and he will let me source some parts to save on costs. I would like to thank you all who have given your insight. Even after it went a little "Off Topic" there was still info to be gleaned from the arguments. So thanks again and I will keep you posted when there is anything else

82 VW rabbit truck aka Caddy
1.6diesel under construction but still runs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ticket on sale now! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Samco/OME/Bilstein/JBA4.5/Mattech BTA Machined trans valve body
/BF rugged terrain 245/75/16 on MOAB

ImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next