It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MY CRD build
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 pm 
LOST Addict

I figured I have been here long enough and done enough custom work to justify a write up.

I started with a completely stock 2005 jeep liberty. And then lifted it and had the GDE hot tune installed.

Not long after all of that I destroyed my first CV axle so went to NAPA and got a remanufactured set they bound when I tried to rotate the tires on the jack. So, as is the jeep and southern way modify it till it breaks or works and I started shaving and shaping the CVs.

A month later I clipped a deer and destroyed my front plastic bumper and grill it took me a year and some months, but I finally replaced it. Oh and can't forget the roof rack. All of it was rock lizard and the skids are Asfir.

Then came the one off air compressor mod using the ARB twin air. It is mounted using some aluminum plate and some item 80x20 and alot of mill time.

Well at last ECS I found out I had and issue with my NP242 come to find out my drive chain was separating. So time for a new one right? Not. This old southern boy he had to upgrade so and NV241OR went in.

Well now I have an ARB rear locker and full functioning NV241OR with 2 Wheel drive Low. aND rIDDLER REAR DIFF COVER AND yUKON aLLOY sHAFTS TO CONTENDED WITH THE 4TO1 lOW OF THE NV241or.

Hope everyone enjoyed my write up please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by audiboy86 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MY CRD build
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks nice! Any details on that transfer case swap? What did it take?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 am 
LOST Addict

Well in all honesty it slid right in behind 545RFE even clocked right and doesn't hit the floor pan. The first issue I ran into was the trans mountit need some heavy modification and welding. Then next because of my internal modifications to the t-case I have to modify the transfer case linkage. By my understanding without my modification to the T-case I wouldn't have to do the cable modification.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks nice! What did you do to the front diff? Still the aluminum one? Or you're planning to go with a solid axle? Always thought to get this Diesel engine and stick it in a cherokee. Lol. Probably easier to just modify the liberty... Diesel power magazine has an article about this swap btw.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
LOST Addict

You are the second person to mention the Diesel power magazine doing a transfer case swap in the liberty but the only one i could ever find was the Klune V-drive which I wasnt going to do because I have seen what happens to them at high RPMs. Also a soild front axle swap is planned and some parts have been purchased. Just waiting on funding and my housing sistuation to pan out. And my front differential is aluminium and orginal which alot of people who wheels thiers can say i have seen atleast 3 grenade now 1 with a locker 2 without.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
I figured I have been here long enough and done enough custom work to justify a write up.

About time!

Good to see you got the NP240R in. Do you think the 4:1 is needed in the CRD? I feel like LO range on my 242 is sometimes too low of a gear.

And are you going to sell that ARB mount??

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 am 
LOST Addict

Considering i mostly rock crawl the NV241OR should be perfect gearing and with the high being the same as the 242 low it will be interesting. But the ARB mount was kinda a one off when i worked for the company that maufactured the orginal material used for it. I have since left them and moved into a medical manufacturing enviroment. But if you are really interested I could talk to my old boss and see what i could do for you because it is stout and rather cool looking hanging off the side of the JBA rack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 am 
LOST Addict

That 4:1 ratio and the Diesel engine sounds like being a very sweet combo... What axle you plan to put in front? I would guess that you'll go with Dana 60 if you do rocks often. Even though with that low gearing on your tc you may not need a 60... You still have the 8.25 in the rear? If so, any plans to replace it? I'll follow this thread and see your progress, sounds to be very interesting, good luck!

I have a feeling that with this Diesel engine you won't get so close to break the axles like the folks with gassers... Less wheel hop, slower torque engagement (meaning less throttle required and a smoother torque application). But I will keep my idea for now to have a cherokee CRD, lol. I hear the hardest part in the conversion is the electrical, especially dashboard.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
Considering i mostly rock crawl the NV241OR should be perfect gearing and with the high being the same as the 242 low it will be interesting. But the ARB mount was kinda a one off when i worked for the company that maufactured the orginal material used for it. I have since left them and moved into a medical manufacturing enviroment. But if you are really interested I could talk to my old boss and see what i could do for you because it is stout and rather cool looking hanging off the side of the JBA rack.

You said JBA rack, but it looks like a BoulderBars rack? Does JBA make one? And how did you get the high being the same as 242 low? What DID you do to the inside of that!!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:

You seen how my KJ crawled in KY,nice not having to really use your brakes at all going down hill.5.13's and 4.3:1 low in the Atlas is real great on those techincal trails.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Well to start the NV241OR has a 4:1 low gear ratio and a 2.72:1 high so considering the stock transfer case for this jeep the NP242 low range is 2.72:1 and the high is 1:1. And after watching troys KJ in Ky just walk over the rocks and crawl up most anything my 49.6:1 compared to his 66:1 I should be fine. And as far as my axle choice I am going with 2 custom ford 9s with a high nine center sections. They will be trussed for sure but I like the idea of keeping it light and I figure the nine with 30 spline shafts it should be more then strong enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
Well to start the NV241OR has a 4:1 low gear ratio and a 2.72:1 high so considering the stock transfer case for this jeep the NP242 low range is 2.72:1 and the high is 1:1. .

RockTrac = 4:1 low,1:1 high

242 = 2.72:1 low,1:1 high

Both have 1:1 high range.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I thought it was 2.72:1 well dang looks like some more mods to come thank goodness I still have NP242 in the shop floor. Thank you LOST again for inspiring custom work on my part. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
I thought it was 2.72:1 well dang looks like some more mods to come thank goodness I still have NP242 in the shop floor. Thank you LOST again for inspiring custom work on my part. :twisted:

You would want 1:1 for on street driving right? Twin nine's with James Duff long arms would be sweet!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Well the 1:1 is for mud, sand, loose terrain things that require speed at all 4 wheels to continue motion. While the lower range is good for crawling and technical obstacles. And I have always been a 9 inch fan I have seen them hammered on in drag cars my whole life. And I have seen them destroyed then the whole inside and shafts swapped in 15 mins. Plus with both axles being the same I could just carry one spare center.