It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove Front Tow Assembly
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just bought a 2003 Lib Sport 4x4 that has a front tow bar installation (two bars extending out of the bumper openings).
I'll never use that tow feature and am willing to sell the parts if anyone wants them.
Can someone point me to a How To video or article that describes the removal process?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Remove Front Tow Assembly
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's an aftermarket add-on, most probably by Blue Ox, to tow behind an RV.

I'm guessing removal is the reverse of installation:
http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/BX1119.pdf

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A pic would help, is it two hitch draw bars on there sides to accomodate d rings for recovery points?

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

John3:17 wrote:
A pic would help, is it two hitch draw bars on there sides to accomodate d rings for recovery points?

I can't figure out how to add photos to my message, but it's the two hitch bars you described. There's a faded label on one end with a number that looks like 1422-1. Can't read the other writing. Anyway, the removal process was beyond my capability, so I had the local Jeep dealer take it off. As mentioned in my 1st message, I have all the removed parts if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bwflorida wrote:

I can't figure out how to add photos to my message, but it's the two hitch bars you described. There's a faded label on one end with a number that looks like 1422-1. Can't read the other writing. Anyway, the removal process was beyond my capability, so I had the local Jeep dealer take it off. As mentioned in my 1st message, I have all the removed parts if anyone's interested.

If they look like these Im interested - give me a price.

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's not like that one, the bars are open-ended just like a rear tow hitch, except they're 1" openings. You can find a photo at JeepForum.com, on the last page in the KJ Owner's Pictures area. I don't know what it's worth, so if you're interesed, make an offer. Don't forget it's very heavy, so shipping might be prohibitive.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bwflorida wrote:

It's not like that one, the bars are open-ended just like a rear tow hitch, except they're 1" openings. You can find a photo at JeepForum.com, on the last page in the KJ Owner's Pictures area. I don't know what it's worth, so if you're interesed, make an offer. Don't forget it's very heavy, so shipping might be prohibitive.

When I googled the part # you listed thats the pic that came up on e-trailer. I think its the same but the only pieces you have are the ones that bolt to the jeep. Let me do some checking.

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 am 
LOST Newbie

When I googled the part # you listed thats the pic that came up on e-trailer. I think its the same but the only pieces you have are the ones that bolt to the jeep. Let me do some checking.

I found out that the unit that came off my Jeep is the RoadMaster XL 1422-1 Base Plate Kit for 01-05 Jeep Liberty, and you're correct: I have all the parts that were bolted on, except for the two removable front braces and the pins that hold them in place. Those parts were not in the Jeep when I bought it. New Base Plate Kits are $399 new.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

bwflorida wrote:

I found out that the unit that came off my Jeep is the RoadMaster XL 1422-1 Base Plate Kit for 01-05 Jeep Liberty, and you're correct: I have all the parts that were bolted on, except for the two removable front braces and the pins that hold them in place. Those parts were not in the Jeep when I bought it. New Base Plate Kits are $399 new.

So how long did it take you to remove the brackets . I'm in the same boat . How much did you get for the brackets ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

1coopgt wrote:
So how long did it take you to remove the brackets . I'm in the same boat . How much did you get for the brackets ?

Local jeep dealer removed it. I took it there in the am, picked it up later that day. Nothing's been sold, I still have all the parts the dealer removed.