It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone get their free hitch yet?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

The articles I read said chrysler would mail a letter with instructions on what to do. I was wondering if anyone has got their letter or has heard anything else about this?

Post subject: Re: anyone get their free hitch yet?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On June 18, 2013 DCJ sent the NTSB a letter proposing the "hitch" option to address the KJ fuel tank issue. That proposal is rather artfully written by DCJ lawyers to a) indicate the alleged problem does not exist; b) no "official" recall is needed; c) but being a good (giggle) corporate citizen (translation not doing anything is really bad for PR) DCJ will notify owners that they can bring their KJ in for installation of a Mopar hitch to strengthen the rear of the vehicle to avoid fuel tank damage to "better manage the crash forces in such low-speed impacts"; and d) DCJ also apparently (I don't see a copy off hand) sent the NTSB a letter blowing off the "high-speed" impact fix and it appears that issue is still under consideration at the federal level.

On June 21, 2013 the NTSB sent a letter back to DCJ basically saying ok to the KJ "hitch" fix. That letter indicates a) "The recall is expected to begin in July 2013." but b) says the owner notification letter is under review.

All the above can be viewed at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/Sea ... =13V252000 .

I strongly suspect given the usual public and private bureaucratic delays combined with the number of vehicles involved that letters won't go out until late July at the earliest and it may take several months before all the letters are sent.

In addition I strongly suspect that those who get a "free" hitch will not get the hitch bar, 4/5 pin flat to round wiring adapter, or the trailer wiring that came as part of the original factory hitch installation but I could be surprised. Doesn't matter to me as I have the full factory hitch pkg but I was hoping to get a "free" fuel tank skid out of this, sigh.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And I believe it is only for the GASOLINE version.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I suspect racer is correct and that would be logical but the DCJ>NTSB letter does not contain that limitation; on the other hand the NTSB>DCJ response letter does reference "Components:
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY STRUCTURE". I don't know whether to interpret the reference to "gasoline" in the context of the fuel tank to be limited to fuel tanks (NOTE the gas and diesel tanks are identical) that contain gasoline or a generic reference to "gas tank" (a.k.a. fuel tank). I suppose one could parse the phrase to mean vehicles whose fuel system uses gasoline stored in a tank.

If CRD owners don't get letters the diesel is not included.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Chrysler will not publicly admit that they ever made a diesel version, unless you had a gun held to their head.

I wouldn't plan on seeing letters about the recall for the diesel people. My question still remains about the fuel filler leaks - The NTSB made a point about that initially, but now they don't seem to mention it anywhere. It IS a problem on the Grand Cherokees, so I'm waiting to see what the letter actually contains about the GCs. I already have a factory hitch with 7-blade wiring, so no 'recall' for me on that one. Whether they have that in the records however... Remains to be seen. I didn't think Mopar factory-equipped the GC with 7-blade wiring, so that hitch could be an original-dealer add-on deal. Don't know, I'm the at least second owner of that truck.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah I searched here and found a post that a chrysler was asked about the diesel liberty getting a hitch and the spokesperson responded. " a diesel version, we never made a diesel version of the liberty". What is that all about?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

C_are_D wrote:
a chrysler .... spokesperson responded. " a diesel version, we never made a diesel version of the liberty".

I think that pretty much sums up Chrysler's opinion of the CRD from day one.... even when they were in the showrooms...
it was a test, just pretend like it's production....it's not real..

Post subject: anyone get their free hitch yet?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
It tracks quite well with their "marketing experiment" of selling the CRD without any actual advertising or promo materials. The sales droids weren't trained that they existed, yet they still sold every one that they produced.

Last time I drove mine into a certain dealer, one of the droids came hurrying over and warned me to bring my jeep to the service bays now, that it was too risky to even drive it home. When I asked him what he was on about, he said there must be something badly wrong with my engine because of the terrible rattling it was making.

Yes... That normal diesel clatter.

When I told him it was fine, it was a diesel... "It is? How much did the conversion cost?" Was the reply. Uhm... Chrysler sold it this way. "They did?"

I never went back to that dealer, and never will.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, I'm hoping to get hitched.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 am 
LOST Addict

DCJ did make promotional materials. I have one of the brochures.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 am 
LOST Addict

I keep having friends and family ask if I am getting my Jeep recalled here. I just say no I have not gotten a letter yet or seen anything official in the news. Then say the recall will likely be for gas engine equipped ones not mine because I'm not driving a liquid bomb around.

I seriously doubt that any of us will see the letter for a CRD And if we do I don't think they will do a thing to mine. I have the Mopar hitch with flat 4 wire and the full Mopar skid plate package already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Perhaps this is a job for a petition?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 am 
LOST Addict

mikey1273 wrote:
...And if we do I don't think they will do a thing to mine. I have the Mopar hitch with flat 4 wire and the full Mopar skid plate package already.

Me too but I was planning on taking it off and trying to get another. Not that it's worth anything but it would give me some sense of satisfaction to get something back from Chrysler for once.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This an interim letter I found while surfing for the n46 recall.

www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/communication ... Letter.pdf

SAFETY RECALL N46 / NHTSA 13V-XXX
REAR STRUCTURE REINFORCEMENT
Dear (Name):
This interim notice is sent to you in voluntary accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic
and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has made a tentative assessment that certain 2002
through 2007 model year Jeep® Liberty vehicles contain defects related to motor vehicle safety.
Although the NHTSA assessment is non-final, Chrysler Group has decided to conduct a safety recall to
respond to customer concerns about that assessment.
The problem is... The fuel tank on your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) has a small chance of
experiencing a fuel leak during certain types of rear end collisions. Fuel leakage
in the presence of an ignition source can result in an underbody fire.
What your dealer
will do...
Chrysler intends to inspect your vehicle and install an OEM trailer hitch where
appropriate, free of charge (parts and labor). The parts required for this program
are currently not available. Chrysler is making all reasonable efforts to obtain the
parts as quickly as possible. Chrysler will contact you again by mail, with a followup
notice, when the remedy parts are available.
What you must
do to ensure your
safety...
Once you receive your follow-up notice in the mail, simply contact your Chrysler,
Jeep or Dodge dealer right away to schedule a service appointment.
If you need
help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please
contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard if any of the conditions listed
on the card apply to you or your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at
http://www.jeep.com/ownersreg .
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may be eligible for
reimbursement. Please send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the
following address for reimbursement: Chrysler Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI
48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents,
reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days.
If your dealer fails or is unable to carry out this program without charge and within a reasonable time, you
may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at
1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your
attention to this important matter.
Customer Services / Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC
Notification Code N46
Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

So whats the recall hitch going to be? Class I, II, III ?
Also I guess all aftermarket hitch manufacturers of the GC and Liberty can stop production because they just became worthless?

CRD Motor/Timing Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68442076@N02/sets/72157629389449367/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm 
LOST Member

EAB wrote:
So whats the recall hitch going to be? Class I, II, III ?
Also I guess all aftermarket hitch manufacturers of the GC and Liberty can stop production because they just became worthless?

Won't they be the ones building them to meet the demand?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Aftermarket hitches will be worthless because we will be getting mopar brand hitches. Unless one of the aftermarket companies builds the hitch for mopar. It orta be a class III.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are we in fact going to get the hitch... does anybody know if we as diesel KJ owners get a Hitch from this recall?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like if you don't already have a hitch, one will be installed. Does not mention diesels, but my guess is that they too will be included, even though it is kind of silly to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:03 am 
LOST Addict

WELL Hope you are correct and Chrysler decides to give every KJ gas or diesel a hitch that doesn't have one so that all of you that don't have get a free one!