It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steve from SE washington state
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all,

My name is steve and I'm in the market for a CRD liberty.

I think the liberty will fit my needs very well. I am driving about 100 miles a day for work and i need either awd or 4x4 for the winter on the road i will be traveling. I've been looking at everything from legacy gt's to big 4x4 trucks all of which I'd have to sell my current Jetta TDi (1999) in order to justify it. I think with the liberty though, I'll be able to keep my Jetta and maintain both, only using the jeep when either I feel like it or when conditions arise. My jetta has about 225k on the odometer right now and runs like a car with half that I have done all the maintenance and repairs on it ranging from resealing the injection pump to changing the timing belt, it's awesome I average 47 mpg each tank.

There are a few CRD liberty's on Craigslist in Seattle which I travel to frequently but I'd like to find one with a decent service history. I see there is one for sale by a member here and I'd love to buy it but to the banks these are 10-12k rigs... he is asking 16k but with a lot of work done to it.

thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Steve from SE washington state
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 am 
LOST Newbie

$16k is stupid money even with records. I just paid $7500 and got ripped off. Parts on these are high dollar. If you can do all the work on it you will keep a smile on your face. With that said i hope to welcome you to having an Italian Mistress 8) .

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am 
LOST Newbie

I wish I could find one for 7-8k

The least expensive I find them around here is 10k and those have 100k miles rigs with less than 100k command a premium and go for 2-5k more depending on mileage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 pm 
LOST Addict

hegel wrote:
I see there is one for sale by a member here and I'd love to buy it but to the banks these are 10-12k rigs...

The banks are wrong. They're not even worth that much :roll:.

hegel wrote:
he is asking 16k but with a lot of work done to it.

Just curious what's he done to it to make him think it's worth double what everyone else's is? I hope he's got a load custom stuff e.g. a lift, high end audio, gold plated rims etc and not just expensive routine maintenance. Spending a few $K on an engine overhaul doesn't count. Maybe he's related to the guy just outside of Toronto who thought his was worth $24K because it was, supposedly, the only properly maintained CRD in Canada :-)r .

It sounds like you're doing your own maintenance which is essential if you want to own one of these little money pits. You're also going into this with the correct attitude - use it as a second car.

Just bide your time and the right deal will eventually come along. Good luck with your search.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is the one that I like.

http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/3950800201.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
LOST Addict

You should be ale to buy two at that price.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Compare against Kelley Blue Book. The banks will, you should too. Like it or not, that is what the pricing will be compared against, and nobody will be able to successfully argue for a huge premium over those numbers, at least not with a bank or any other impartial observer.

I don't think the $24k lunatic in Canada ever sold his for that price either, this $16k is also just too far outside the numbers.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi - FYI there is one listed for $20,900 :ROTFL: just down the road from you in Charleston.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
There are lots of drug addicts in SC... I guess one of them owns a CRD and thinks another drug-addled mind might pay that price.

Even PT Barnum couldn't have predicted this level of hope.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:27 am 
LOST Member

I just got one in Seattle. 6900 and doing belt water pump suncoast converter head gasket studs and then gde ft tune and trans tune.

Have to fix more electrical gremlins, like no a/c and belt chime ignoring seat belt, still.

I have the Sealey timing kit I'll loan out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:17 am 
LOST Newbie

I would just keep looking. That guy says he's from Dynamic Diesel and being in the diesel industry in the area for awhile now they don't have the best reputation. Coming from there I'd say it's worth less not more. My girlfriend bought her's in Everett about a year ago. I for the life of me don't remember what she paid though. I do recall we got a decent deal on it from all the looking around she did. I want to say she paid $9K or $10K for it but maybe it was $12K. I know it wasn't $16K.

Mine: '96 Ford F-250 PSD. Custom fuel system, big injectors, Big HPOP, Custom turbo, Billet Rods, Custom Pistons, Ported Heads, BTS Built Transmission, N²O. 12.6 @ 105 in the 1/4. 806hp on the dyno.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the great responses. I will have to keep looking I think. Thr right rig will present itself I believe. I just have to be patient.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:18 pm 
LOST Addict

If you are game to wade through a lot of result pages, SearchTempest.com gives you the ability to search many different Craigslist pages all at once.

I'm not affiliated with the site, I just like how it works. I've found some good stuff using that site to search.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been looking on there. also cars.com and autotrader.com I sure wish crazedlist.org was still up. I loved that site.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, me too. Crazedlist was fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:15 pm 
LOST Member

Keep looking. I picked mine up for $10,500 120k It came with all the service history in a folder. I know I paid a little more then some but timing belt,water pump and pulley's were all replaced at 110k. It is a little harder to find a CRD in the PNW. Not a whole lot around.

450awhp/400awtq autocross slut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:25 pm 
LOST Member

If u r not afraid of a little paperwork then head north to Vancouver I saw a few listed here ith asking in 9-10 k keep couple of grand in pocket for timing belt service.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
LOST Member

here is an option..

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/3976566301.html

not affiliated with anything, the guy could be crazy for all I know.. Price looked good, and knowledge of timing belt seems to be unheard of from most people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

I emailed him and asked.

sport or limited?

What brand of lift?

did the TB job include a water pump?

then i asked for photo's of the interior.

It's a sport model (figured that out based on the bumpers)

it has the original water pump as the dealer was going to charge an extra $500+ to change it when the tb was done.

I said thanks. I am a bit put off by the fact that the water pump wasn't done at the time the tb.

He replied "i didn't replace it as i was quoted $500+ for the pump. At that cost the job isnt a waste to do again.

I guess the tensioner and rollers were changed at the time the tb was done.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:29 am 
LOST Addict

I wouldn't 'guess' that ANYTHING was done without proof. Most of the dealers (both VW and Chrysler) I have ever worked with don't think that the rollers need to be replaced as part of the timing job. The one VW dealer that did the timing on my original TDI actually ARGUED with me that they didn't need to be done at all.

The crazy part is the rollers on the TDI spin MUCH faster (they are only about the diameter of a 50 cent piece) so the bearing takes a lot more mileage than the rest of the belt.

$500 for the water pump AFTER the rest of the timing job however? I'm obviously not charging anywhere NEAR what I could. :wink: Better take advantage of my ignorance while everyone can!