It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Diesel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Well i ran across a few articals about this and the procedures to make it. And was wondering if anyone has ever used it or even just alittle feedback on the idea. Here is the ebay link that first brought this idea up for me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/250947166270?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 I have a few hundred gallons of used oil and tranny fluid in tanks that I can't find anyone to buy but can pay someone to take. Which seems odd since they will just take it refine it and use it as fuel oil. So since I have it and have access to a few local places who have the same issue I shouldn't have any problems keeping a supply.

Post subject: Re: Black Diesel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:57 pm 
LOST Member

Is he just adding diesel clean and then filtering motor oil and transfluid? You should buy the report before you spend $600+ on a simple pump and simple filtering system. I have strong doubts about the water separation thing.

But I must say I am all for free fuel. But I think most motor oil will be to thick to just pour in your diesel tank.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:36 am 
LOST Member

what is ur email, i can help you out with your alternative diesel issue :D. I havent yet run it in my CRD because i just bought mine just two weeks ago but am having success in my '99 powerstroke.

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Looking for input from anyone running on black diesel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 am 
LOST Addict

I do believe the ones who have tried it dont want to be identified because there is still some unsureness towards this subject. I know some people on the diesel power forms say it runs like regular diesel is easy to refine but it shortens the life of your CP3 or CP4 because of how thick it is. But it is like veggie it smooths everything out and lengthens the life of your internal components.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Audiboy, I'm not familiar with all the components of this vehicle yet, will you clarify CP3 / CP4?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Those are fuel pump type designation cp3 is ours and cp4s are the newest types. They are about $1000 for a rebuilt one so that is why you don't here about a lot of people taking a chance with it. But by my understanding if you heat it like veggie it can minimize the strain on the pump. I know quite a few people running it in older power strokes where the pumps are cheaper and aftermarkets are readily available. They say you can test to see if our motors will run it by dumping clean ATF directly into the fuel filter when it is empty and just reprime the system. Crank it up and let it run till the fuel bowl goes back to the normal diesel color. I know the only diesels not capable of running it have optical sensors in the fuel system put there to detect the dyes in offroad diesel I think GM is the only one who did this though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Met a guy recently running his 92 Dodge cummins on a 50/50 blend of motor oil & diesel. Had a pump, tank & filter in bed of pickup. Sucked up any oil he could get and it was filtered and run to the bed tank. This oil was then filtered through a one micron filter and blended to 50% in his fuel tank. The Dodge ran good. He also had an Edge chip and sure could put out some smoke.

I want to try the CRD but still under warranty. Do we have an optical sensor? I believe you would ne a lift pump to assist in delivery. I would need to test the viscosity difference between diesel and black diesel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I can't find anything saying that we do have and optical sensor and we would definitely need a lift pump and you also would need a constant oil source.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

I've been debating buying a bio setup but grease seems hard to find with local biofuel places buying it up. Black diesel seems interesting. I usually have plenty used oil laying around.
Don't know if I would put more than 10-20% in the CRD. I am putting a Cummins 4BTAA in my Land Cruiser and plan on running that at a higher % of some sort of bio.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Well these set up are simple And can be made with a 55 gallon drum and some filters and a pump. All you really have to do to run it is a 50/50 mix and of course a lift pump on the jeep or whatever you run it on. There is a large company selling kits on eBay from a 5 gallon bucket kit to I think a 240 gallon bucket.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did get one of the 5 gallon kits from the internet, I'm sure you can build it for $100 bucks! It does indeed work. I liked the black diesel above veggie simply becouse I didn't want to modify the engine or add tanks and heaters, black diesel has no mods to the vehicle it all takes place in your work shop! If i'm on a trip I just buy diesel if I'm at home I can run black, but most importently if and when I sell, the engine hasn't been modified! The most I've run is 30% oil, it was in fact quiter with no smoke. I haven't run a lot of fuel mileage checks but the highest mileage I have achieved on black diesel was 25.8 mpg. This was interstate hwy driving 60-65 mph with no AC, on cruise control, city about 20 mpg driving softly no AC! All I've been useing is the my own oil sitting behine my shed. I'm not trying to drive for free, just get rid of my old oil.
But at $4 a gallon 30% used oil is equel to $2.80 a gallon, makes me think I should find a better supply sourse.
Jim KF5WJD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 pm 
LOST Member

I will bit how does it work. Is it just filtering used motor oil. Or are you making it thinner?

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Its filtering down to 1 micron, so I do cut 50/50 with diesel prefilter so it filters faster. I make 2, 6 gallon containers mixed 50/50 then add them to the tank before I fill up. I figure thats about 30% oil. I do think its a little thicker then diesel but here in south Louisiana summers are surly hot enough, I don't think the pump noticeing the differance" I hope". If I have a pump falure I will post ASAP. How did you set up the rail heater? I'd like to add one, even if its a small gain in efficency.
Jim KF5WJD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am 
LOST Member

I use $30 injection line heater from Fattywagon.com. It is wrapped around and then held on with silicon repair tape. It is a slow process and you need a spare roll of tape ($10 locally). Mine is wire directly to a add-a-fuse so anytime the key comes on it comes on.
I am not really sure I want to add motor oil to my fuel tank. But I a curious what it would look like after I filter it in my centrifuge. Again not sure I want to add black liquid to that either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 am 
LOST Addict

Glad to see someone else has picked this idea up I didnt want to be the black diesel test dummy even with a spare set of injectors and CP3 laying around. Keep us updated on how things go and how is your milage and do you notice any change in the idle. Because i know with even b20 these little diesels quiet down alot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
LOST Member

If you can use transmission fluid or hydraulic fluid. Same results but thinner oil to start with when mixing with diesel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:11 am 
LOST Member

Anyone have an update using black diesel in a CRD?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anybody still running black diesel?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:15 pm 
LOST Member

I do from time to time. You will end up with sticking turbo veins if you do it too much. If your head gasket leaks, it will smoke badly at an idle.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.