It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ol' Blue is getting a new head gasket
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got the passenger side of the engine taken down to the block in about 6 hours

Had a heck of time with exhaust manifold. SM is useless describing the details. I got the top 5 nuts off, the 2 on the ends, but took me an hour to find the other 2 and then the one in front of the turbo took me 20 minutes to get out alone. Mostly chasing tools. Almost convinced myself that it couldn't be done. Never realized how much 13 mm is used on this engine.

Tomorrow its injectors, timing cover and timing belt. I've got the Sealey tools. hopefully I'll make better time tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Ol' Blue is getting a new head gasket
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

13MM is used below the intake nearly as much as 10MM is used above it.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

I left the exhaust manifold on when I pulled my head. I was able to remove it by my self but needed an extra set of hands to reinstall. I didn't want to risk any damage.

'06 Liberty CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, Lift Pump

Head Gasket and Timing Belt Pics

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you have to remove the FCV to get the valve cover off?

Today I got to the threshold of getting the valve cover off. Its loose, but for some reason it wont come off. It seems to be caught on something on the drivers side, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find anything holding it up. The only step I skipped in the procedure was removal of the throttle cable assembly, which I'm pretty sure is only for the 2.5's.

Fuel rail is off, the only thing that is not off is the FCV. I've removed two of the mounting bolts, but don't see how to get to the other two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:41 pm 
LOST Addict

I did removed it, and if you don't have huge hands, you can drive a socket on the lower part of the elbow to unbolt the lower bolts (left hand between head and elbow, right untie bolt, left hand keeping socket in place). I used 1/4 drive with a small extension and a uv joint.

There must be some pic in this thread with a socket under the elbow: viewtopic.php?t=75479

I don't see what else can hold the valve cover, if you took out all those top bolts that secure it on the head. Good luck, it's a pretty tedious job, but definitely doable.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Followed that link all the way to Squeeto's glow plug thread to see how he got the back two bolts out. Guess its doable. just have to be creative. I'll dig in again Wednesday evening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 am 
LOST Member

Are you trying to get the inside two bolts that hold the elbow to the intake? Maybe I'm confused as usual.

I got everything apart from the top with a regular (not deep) socket and 1/4 in flex head ratchet. I got three of the bolts started back in. . . except for the inside forward bolt. Had to use Squeeto's from the bottom process (attached to a second pair of hands) to get it started.

I think I could get them all started and tightened with a 'close in' socket like this.

http://www.sears.com/mountain-1-4inch-d ... RECT=false although the bolts I'm picturing in my head are 8 mm

If you're talking about the 5 mm allen bolts that bolt the FCV to the elbow disregard the above ;) My project was just replacing the glow plugs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TJ2 wrote:
Are you trying to get the inside two bolts that hold the elbow to the intake?

although the bolts I'm picturing in my head are 8 mm.

Yep, those are the ones. I need to go buy a few more extensions to get to the engine side, forward bolt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:39 am 
LOST Addict

bugnout wrote:
TJ2 wrote:

Yep, those are the ones. I need to go buy a few more extensions to get to the engine side, forward bolt.

I'd get 1/4 extension and uv joint, maybe also a flex ratchet, so you may bend the handle if required. Sears has them, are a little pricey, but it's worth imo. I'm suggesting 1/4 since they can fit better in that insanely cramped space.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am stuck at the exhaust manifold removal. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the two lower center nuts off. Am I supposed to take the turbo first?

Magnaflow (ish) exhaust

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cannot help you with the 2 problem nuts but feel I should caution you on turbo removal that the "jam" nuts on the 4 studs combined with soft metal studs can result in broken studs. Been there done that. If you do have to pull the turbo be sure to do at least an overnight penetrating lube soak of those studs/nuts. Otherwise it's not particularly difficult.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cmpbiker wrote:
I am stuck at the exhaust manifold removal. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the two lower center nuts off. Am I supposed to take the turbo first?

I did not remove the Turbo. I apologize, I can't remember exactly what I did. To the best of my recollection, I think I got a ratchet wrench on it from underneath and then used a cheater bar to get it broken loose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:22 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
bugnout wrote:
TJ2 wrote:

I'd get 1/4 extension and uv joint, maybe also a flex ratchet, so you may bend the handle if required. Sears has them, are a little pricey, but it's worth imo. I'm suggesting 1/4 since they can fit better in that insanely cramped space.

Harbor Freight sells sets of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 stubby flex head ratchets. They're about $20 or on sale for $10. I used the stubby 1/4 with short socket to remove and tighten mine. Putting them back in was the pistol. That's when I went with the mondo wobble extension setup (for the front inside only. Got a set of those on sale at HF. I never used to buy 'cheap' tools. These days that's about all I buy and most of them hold up to the demands I put on them.

When it came to snugging them down I went back to short socket and stubby flex.

good luck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
cmpbiker wrote:

I did not remove the Turbo. I apologize, I can't remember exactly what I did. To the best of my recollection, I think I got a ratchet wrench on it from underneath and then used a cheater bar to get it broken loose.

Correction, I used a 1/4 drive breaker bar (about 6 inches long) and a 1/4 inch 13mm socket. used a short pipe, cheater bar to increase leverage.

Last edited by bugnout on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm 
LOST Member

If you didn't disconnect the EGR tube where it connects to the FCV that is what is probably your hold up. I did end up removing the whole FCV assy when I did the job. I was concerned about breaking the studs for the turbo and manifold so like I said. I left it attached for removal and installation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mark2m wrote:
If you didn't disconnect the EGR tube where it connects to the FCV that is what is probably your hold up. I did end up removing the whole FCV assy when I did the job. I was concerned about breaking the studs for the turbo and manifold so like I said. I left it attached for removal and installation.

I think thats good advice, just a little late for me, as mine is already loose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10 am 
LOST Member

Ah I see. Better late than never. Lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok head is finally off. Need some help IDing the gasket. I think its a one hole gasket, but that would be unique as most of these engines were put together with 0 hole gaskets. Opinions?

The head looks good so far, just cursory look. All the rocker arms looked good, as well as the cylinders. Only evidence of a coolant leak I could find was at the front cylinder. No evidence on the head gasket itself

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

From the ID Parts website " The gasket size is stamped into a tab that is on the intake side of the engine. Look for a tab that has a part number stamping on it. On the rear-ward end of the tab may be some circular holes. The tab can have no holes, 1 hole or two holes."

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The tab with the circle and arrow in above picture is directly under the intake elbow.

I'll have to inspect it closer to see if a part number is stamped into it.