It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My ramblings (fuel efficient vehicle really worth it?)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CIMARRON13 wrote:
I have heard many faults with the VWs but havent had an issue yet. I put 26K on my 09 Jetta before I traded it for the 2010 Jetta wagon. Have 26K presently so that is 52K with no issues other than a broken seat adjuster. I am sure just like any vehicle there will be issues but I think bad maintenance routines with 90% of people give the certain makes bad raps.

After a 20 minuet conversation with my wife; and looking at the pros and cons, she said that she didn't want to get a VW. With that being said, I did spend some time on the TDI forums. Even though there are some noted problems with the newer TDI's, there were still plenty of new VW owners who haven't had any problems, and some with many miles on their TDI's. If I were in the market for a TDI, then I would buy one. I didn't see enough documented evidence to stay away from them. And again, when looking at new vs used, the tax credit would be one more advantage of buying a new TDI.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:32 am 
LOST Junkie

Ninja 250!!!

sent using the dark side of the force

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:38 am 
LOST Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
CIMARRON13 wrote:
I put about 15K a year just on the VW

That's probably a nice fuel savings.

CIMARRON13 wrote:
I do keep spreadsheets with all my costs and for me having the VW for a daily driver is a good deal for me.

Do you average at least 40 mpg?

I average right at 39. I keep a spreadsheet with every fill up. My best full tank was 48 which was a road trip with all highway driving around 65 mph. Worst was 36 which was mixed city driving. Here is Austin our city driving is probably better than most cities. I actually made money when my employer paid the 55 cents/mile reimbursement for my driving.
As much as I don't like the low ride of a car the TDI is a blast to drive with the 6 speed. Has plenty of power.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:45 am 
LOST Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
CIMARRON13 wrote:
I have heard many faults with the VWs but havent had an issue yet. I put 26K on my 09 Jetta before I traded it for the 2010 Jetta wagon. Have 26K presently so that is 52K with no issues other than a broken seat adjuster. I am sure just like any vehicle there will be issues but I think bad maintenance routines with 90% of people give the certain makes bad raps.

After a 20 minuet conversation with my wife; and looking at the pros and cons, she said that she didn't want to get a VW. With that being said, I did spend some time on the TDI forums. Even though there are some noted problems with the newer TDI's, there were still plenty of new VW owners who haven't had any problems, and some with many miles on their TDI's. If I were in the market for a TDI, then I would buy one. I didn't see enough documented evidence to stay away from them. And again, when looking at new vs used, the tax credit would be one more advantage of buying a new TDI.

I have actually got the tax credit twice. $1,300 on both my 09 and 2010. I figured out that getting the gas model with all the upgrades of what comes standard on the TDI was only around $1,500 less than the diesel. So after the tax credit it was only $200 more for the diesel. Some people will say the tax credit is only good if you owed taxes but you actually get the cash added to your return. It was a nice little bonus at the end of year.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

I just bought a 1999 Pontiac GrandAm GT for less than 2Gs with only 120,000mi on it. I'm not saying I never drive the Jeep now, but its nice to give the Jeep a break. I don't put near the miles on it now. The car gets 28mpg vs the Jeeps 18mpg or so. It is kinda nice to have that 2nd vehicle to drive while your 4x4 is torn apart from upgrades or repairs :lol: I think it is diff for everybody.....but in my case, I enjoy having a 2nd vehicle that gets way better mpg to drive daily and save the Jeep for fundays or weekends.

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 pm 
LOST Member

My girlfriend has an 09 Civic Hybrid. It gets like 40mpg. It sucks to drive because it has all of 100hp and a cvt transmission that whines and moans the whole time you're driving. Sure I love being able to drive to Miami and back on $25 in gas, but I hate driving the Civic. Also has blindspots everywhere and everything in it is huge and plastic. From an environmental standpoint the Civic Hybrid is no better than a normal Civic because of thermodynamics. The only hybrid for me is an Escape 4x4. I commute on a scooter that gets 120mpg so no worries about gas prices there haha.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Always depend on your need. Currently have the 08 KK, and a 08 4 doors Toyota Yaris (with a trunk). I don't mind the small engine of the Yaris, as long as it's manual transmission. I just hate the automatic on small engine, not enough power.

In my case, me and the spouse share car. We take whatever fits our need more. She used to hate the Yaris because she was used to a Nissan Sentra with 200HP in it. Now she just see that this small thing runs real fine, and takes half the gaz of her old car, not to say 3time less than the Jeep).

If I have to drive longer without need of space, I just take the Yaris. There is anyway lots of place in the Yaris, enough for a trip with the baby (1y old) and spouse and clothes/baby stuff for a week. and I can manage to have 40+ mpg with it.