It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bypass Filter FS-2500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
DocB wrote:
Do you think Rotella T6 is an appropriate oil to run out for very long OCIs ?

I am not sure honestly. I've never done extended OCI's because the vehicles I have either get changed once a year(my motorcycle) or get 3000 mile changes because the turbo is maxxed out and known to fail(Subaru Legacy GT). I do use Rotella T6 in both vehicles though based on extremely positive Blackstone tests from other owners.

If you have something else I can pretty easily punch in the new price and have it recalculate in about 5 seconds. A more expensive oil should make the By-Pass pay off faster, as the oil is the primary expense on the non-By-Pass vehicle.

If it makes anyone feel better, I just did my first oil change on my Jeep and I am now considering one of these By-Pass setups. The dealer I purchased the Jeep from put in whatever oil was recommended in the manual less than 1200 miles before I changed it. I wanted to get fresh oil in since i had unplugged the MAF and did the EHM. Even at 1200 miles i was amazed at how bad the oil looked and felt. You could tell it did not feel like regular oil on your hands.

Okay..thanks for your analysis......relative to cost. However, cost is not my issue. I want to do what is best to extend the life of the engine and all that entails. So, with cost off the table....how do we compare the two major consumer bypass kits (FS and amsoil) to determine which one is most effective, easiest on the engine, etc.....Hmmmm....

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am 
LOST Junkie

I saw a page with independent testing of bypass filters. The page did not include either of these popular bypass filters. Maybe with some searching we can find more independent studies.

Got any students that need a good project?

A list of quality oil filters that will fit these Jeeps

Royal Purple 30-8A 20 micron Absolute

Mobile1 M1-301 10 micron nominal

Fram Ultra XG8A 20 micron absolute

Amsoil EA015 10 micron nominal 20 micron absolute

Baldwin B2HPG 12 micron nominal 26 micron absolute

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm 
LOST Member

GTOMEX wrote:
user113,
Can you post the instructions of the FS-2500 on this site. I would like a copy.

The instructions for the FS-2500 are in "pictorial form" in my opening post; I do not have an electronic copy to "post." However, the paper copy they sent me seems to have been printed on a standard color printer. If you call the company they may be willing to e-mail you an electronic copy. Most of the pages they included were just "parts" lists.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
If it makes anyone feel better, I just did my first oil change on my Jeep and I am now considering one of these By-Pass setups. The dealer I purchased the Jeep from put in whatever oil was recommended in the manual less than 1200 miles before I changed it. I wanted to get fresh oil in since i had unplugged the MAF and did the EHM. Even at 1200 miles i was amazed at how bad the oil looked and felt. You could tell it did not feel like regular oil on your hands.

I know exactly what you mean by the oil not feeling right, it's due in part to the soot load. That is why I researched many options before settling on the FS-2500, including centrifugal and toilet paper styles. I found at least a half dozen different bypass filtration options. As far as I can tell, the individual filtration performance of all these bypass units is somewhat similar. The difference was small enough I did not consider it in my selection process. Some of the other units I found were almost as expensive as the FS-2500, but others were significantly cheaper; some were even way cheaper than the AMSoil unit. But all of the other units required that I choose a location, that I make any necessary brackets, that I cut hoses to length, that I assemble the collection of necessary parts, etc. The FS-2500 was by far the closest thing to a true "plug-and-play" bypass filter as I could find (other than the MicroGreens which I used with good results for my most recent 20K mile oil run, see http://www.microgreenfilter.com/). My goal was to significantly reduce soot from the oil, and I think I have achieved that goal.

DocB wrote:
I ran Rotella T6 for about 20K miles with the MicroGreens, it was still fine. In fact, that's the oil I am using for the filter's inaugural run (because it was on sale at the time and cheaper than Mobil 1 TDT).

You are also right that the suggested 10K mile filter change interval is probably way too short for our small engines; these filters are usually put on big V-8 Diesels, two or three times bigger than our engines. What oil are you using right now, and are you doing a TBN analysis each time?

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 am 
LOST Member

Yes, I am doing the TBN each time and it is coming back OK.

I run 50/50 M1 0W-40 and TDT 5W-40. Only because I have alot of 0W-40.

I think the TDT is actually a better oil for this engine.

Been toying with the idea of trying the 0W-40 in the Mustang RR race car on hot summer days.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

user113 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

I know exactly what you mean by the oil not feeling right, it's due in part to the soot load. That is why I researched many options before settling on the FS-2500, including centrifugal and toilet paper styles. I found at least a half dozen different bypass filtration options. As far as I can tell, the individual filtration performance of all these bypass units is somewhat similar. The difference was small enough I did not consider it in my selection process. Some of the other units I found were almost as expensive as the FS-2500, but others were significantly cheaper; some were even way cheaper than the AMSoil unit. But all of the other units required that I choose a location, that I make any necessary brackets, that I cut hoses to length, that I assemble the collection of necessary parts, etc. The FS-2500 was by far the closest thing to a true "plug-and-play" bypass filter as I could find (other than the MicroGreens which I used with good results for my most recent 20K mile oil run, see http://www.microgreenfilter.com/). My goal was to significantly reduce soot from the oil, and I think I have achieved that goal.

DocB wrote:
I ran Rotella T6 for about 20K miles with the MicroGreens, it was still fine. In fact, that's the oil I am using for the filter's inaugural run (because it was on sale at the time and cheaper than Mobil 1 TDT).

You are also right that the suggested 10K mile filter change interval is probably way too short for our small engines; these filters are usually put on big V-8 Diesels, two or three times bigger than our engines. What oil are you using right now, and are you doing a TBN analysis each time?

I haven't seen anything specific testing to Rotella, but I did see the oil comparisons on Amsoils diesel 5W-40 Page. Rotella T6 seems to do pretty well compared to other synthetic diesel oils besides Amsoil's.

The other thing to point out is that amsoil says you can go 3x the OEM oil change interval OR one year on their oil. Some of you are probably doing that much, but someone like me only does ~10k miles a year. I suppose an oil analysis could tell me I can keep going longer but 10k is not much longer than the factory change. Rotella should be fine with 10k miles and I can always send it out at 1yrs time and see where it is at.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oil MFG's always tell you their oil will go more miles than what the car mfg says. Most synthetic oils do not break down till will over 10k. But they don't account for soot and or dirty dusty conditions.

I'm old school. Change the oil at 5k. Cheep insurance.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:12 am 
LOST Member

I'm old school too, and old school doesn't throw away good oil. Just sayin'.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any idea on what thread type and pitch the t fitting was that went in for the feed line?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

fcsteve777 wrote:
Any idea on what thread type and pitch the t fitting was that went in for the feed line?

No Idea. Pat Peterson installed mine.

The FS2500 definitely needs a guard around it. It hangs in a very vulnerable position

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just a tip - When drilling the engine oil fill neck, angle the hole so it points slightly down into the neck. Otherwise you can experience oil splashing out the fill neck if you take the cap off with the engine running.

I have also noticed the oil is very hard to see on the dipstick for several thousand miles.

Our Jeep has about 10,300 miles on the last oil change and is now tan. It is ready for an oil change anytime.

As soon as I get the Tahoe put back together.

One thing i have not heard anybody mention that I have taken into consideration on all the bypass filters I have installed - Extended engine life.

If adding a bypass filter means the engine and thus the vehicle will last longer, it could mean a savings of thousands of dollars right there.

We are known to keep our vehicles forever. I do not know that these Jeeps will last that long, no matter what you do to them. But as long as I am stuck with this thing, I will do what I can to make it more efficient and to make it last. I just hope Geordi is still doing service calls when I get to my next timing belt swap.

I have had very good luck with longevity on the GM 6.5 diesels running Amsoil and the bypass filters. So I will keep doing it.

We have about or over 300,000 miles on all of our 6.5's now

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

jrsavoie wrote:
<snip>

One thing i have not heard anybody mention that I have taken into consideration on all the bypass filters I have installed - Extended engine life.

If adding a bypass filter means the engine and thus the vehicle will last longer, it could mean a savings of thousands of dollars right there.

We are known to keep our vehicles forever. I do not know that these Jeeps will last that long, no matter what you do to them. But as long as I am stuck with this thing, I will do what I can to make it more efficient and to make it last. I just hope Geordi is still doing service calls when I get to my next timing belt swap.

I have had very good luck with longevity on the GM 6.5 diesels running Amsoil and the bypass filters. So I will keep doing it.

We have about or over 300,000 miles on all of our 6.5's now
And THAT was the quote of the month. We have already seen the damage that soot does to rockers, etc. consider the savings in doubling your engine life......

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Maybe a less costly option would be a sandwich plate from an oil cooler set up and an Amsoil bypass filter? Then to an oil filter relocation adapter?

I ran an Amsoil bypass setup on my Dodge Cummins and it was very effective at removing particulate matter from the oil.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:34 am 
LOST Junkie

JAFO wrote:
Maybe a less costly option would be a sandwich plate from an oil cooler set up and an Amsoil bypass filter? Then to an oil filter relocation adapter?

I ran an Amsoil bypass setup on my Dodge Cummins and it was very effective at removing particulate matter from the oil.

I've been doing what I've been doing since the 90's It's been working,

I've got longevity that is satisfactory to me,

The cost over 300,000 miles isn't so bad

on the GM 6.5 diesels I go 20,000 mile oil change intervals. On the Jeep It seems like 10,000 mile the oil is still fairly clean, at 11,500 it was getting pretty dirty. I like to change at 10,000 miles. I haven't done an oil sample on the Jeep yet, but I'm sure they would say I'm crazy for changing the oil so soon. At 20,000 miles on the 6.5's, I've never had a bad report on the oil sample

I would be hard pressed to change anything about the way I go about things.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:29 pm 
LOST Member

Wow. This was such a long time ago. It seems that there is considerably less traffic and discussion on this forum as the the years go by...

I have been somewhat remiss in keeping you all up to date on this bypass filter and its performance. I was just updating some of my computer files when I ran across this old report and decided to share these results with any of you that care anymore.

The most recent UOA I have for my Liberty was done with 36,852 miles on the same oil. Over that time period I had only added 1 quart of makeup oil. The oil was LiquiMoly Synthoil Energy 0W/40 (made in Germany) which I bought from IDParts. This is the same oil that was also sampled at 20,139 and 12,060 miles in the report below. Looking more to the right, the report also shows where the previous fill was sampled at 18,923, 13,898 and 9,413 miles of use before it was changed. That oil was Shell Rotella T6 5W/40.

Other things you should take into account with these numbers:
    We acquired the Liberty in June, 2007 with 20K on the clock
    The dealer we bought it from had purchased it for us at a dealer auction, just off lease
    At 55K miles it got the GDE Hot Tune
    The camifold has a big "07" inked on it also suggesting it may have had a 2007 motor in it when I bought it
    In August, 2013, at 81K miles I installed the FS-2500 bypass oil filter (see this topic)

So, let's see what this bypass filter does...drum roll, please:

I'm really liking the clean oil and not having to change it all that often. Now I'm searching high and low for place to squeeze a bypass filter into my wife's 2016 Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:29 pm 
LOST Member

fcsteve777 wrote:

As I recall, 1/8 inch NPT; T fitting in my pic above had one male and two females, all the same size.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Filtration Solutions now makes a spin on cartridge. I bought a new kit for a 2006 CRD. I doubt it will get installed.

It was for a different Jeep that may never happen.

For the original FS2500 I used the marine grade filter. It has a smaller micron rating.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:03 am 
LOST Junkie

jrsavoie wrote:
Filtration Solutions now makes a spin on cartridge. I bought a new kit for a 2006 CRD. I doubt it will get installed.

It was for a different Jeep that may never happen.

For the original FS2500 I used the marine grade filter. It has a smaller micron rating.

I bought the kit with Filtration Solutions newer spin on filter.

I would sell the kit if anybody is interested. The trade for a different CRD. Never materialized.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td