It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Installed Stant 195 thermostat today
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

I installed one, because mine engine would not warm up unless you were doing 85 up a hill.

I didn't put a hole in it, and I see no need to, because the thermostat system it has ensures that there's water flow past the 90 degree neck and it circulates to the bulb.

Even the very first time, I started the motor after installing it, it simply steadily warmed to just below the midpoint on the gauge and then stayed right there, where it used to wander all over below that, even falling below the normal range while driving at 40-50 mph on the flat, steady.

The heater seriously works, now, too.

I have the Sealey timing kit I'll loan out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

When I was looking to find either of the 2 thermostats for this work around, some suppliers were not much help they wanted the vehicle type year etc.
Here is a list of what used that thermostat. Hope it might help someone.

1968 Renault R10 All L4 1.3L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1969 Renault R10 All L4 1.3L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1983 Renault Alliance All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1984 Renault Alliance All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1984 Renault Encore All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1985 Renault Encore All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1985 Renault Alliance All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1986 Renault Encore All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1986 Renault Alliance All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1987 Renault Alliance All L4 1.4L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1988 Eagle Medallion All L4 2.2L 195 Degree; OE Temperature
1989 Eagle Medallion All L4 2.2L 195 Degree; OE Temperature

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km
New timing belt water pump ( ID Parts) 169,000 km

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:50 am 
LOST Addict

I have a Stant and I put a small, i believe a 1/16th or smaller, hole in it and my jeep will not stay at temp with the cold weather right now. Its not even that cold here in the northeast, its been 10-20F. If i am not on the highway or climbing a hill where the engine is under constant load, the cabin heater pulls enough heat to cool the engine off while im driving. Its a constant battle between setting the fan too high and cooling off the engine or setting it to low and freezing my a** off

pwrwagn wrote:
I installed one, because mine engine would not warm up unless you were doing 85 up a hill.

I didn't put a hole in it, and I see no need to, because the thermostat system it has ensures that there's water flow past the 90 degree neck and it circulates to the bulb.

Even the very first time, I started the motor after installing it, it simply steadily warmed to just below the midpoint on the gauge and then stayed right there, where it used to wander all over below that, even falling below the normal range while driving at 40-50 mph on the flat, steady.

The heater seriously works, now, too.

i am thinking about sealing the hole on mine or just buying a new one since they are cheap. The only thing is, I was under the impression that it only circulates back through the motor(bypassing the radiator) if the stock thermostat is closed. I thought that it closed off the bypass once it opened up, so if the stock t-stat is stuck open or opening early the water pump would just be trying to force the water to the radiator.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 am 
LOST Newbie

did the same to my crd a couple of months back. awesome fix on a budget. no adverse affects. temp climbs and stays where it is suppose to. the hole in the t-stat is to allow air to escape and properly fill up the block with coolant. many thanks to wh ever came up with this solution :BINGO:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the housing and the hotter t-stat installed in the housing. but which way do I point it? It doesnt look like the one in the picture. One side is flat with numbers stamped in, the other side is pointed. Just need to know which end to point toward the oem tstat housing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ya.. the original poster shows pictures of a Gates thermostat.

As you will see by holding the new Stat, it has only one place were the clamp will go and a slightly higher little flange sticking up.

You have to place the clamp side into the removed hose first. You may need a little lubrication. Then place a loose clamp over the hose on the Stat. Reconnect the hose and replace the clamp. What you end up with is a slight bulge in the hose between the two clamps where the flange is. The original pic's show this. Tighten everything down well.

Be sure to open the air bleeder at the LH top of the radiator prior to refilling the tank. Run and bleed out all the air.

Good Luck
KJJET

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks kjjet. Your response didnt really address the question though. I installed a stant thermostat in that pretty aluminum housing thingy that twists together. I need to know which side of the thermostat points into the oem thermostat housing. The flat spring side, or the pointed side.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's the Meziere tstat housing. An old post about using that housing says:

"Another successful inline thermostat customer. I purchased the Meziere WN0072 Inline Thermostat Housing from Amazon.com 1.5” diameter for 55 bucks.

Then I purchased a generic 195 degree Chevy thermostat from Napa (used a 1990 Chevy K1500). Before drilling the bypass hole, it took a few extra moments to open fully, causing the temp to spike. I disassembled, drilled a 3/32 (later note from arengant says he thinks he actually did a 1/8" hole) hole in the outside edge of thermostat and reinstalled. Now everything works great! I cut about 2” total off of the upper radiator hose, and bought two hose clamps. The whole project can be done in about 30 minutes easy.

1. I oriented my thermostat so the spring is closest to the block (allowing the hot water to open it at the correct time)
2. Install in the hose from radiator to oem stat, making sure the new housing touches the OEM stat housing (you'll need about two inches of hose to accomplish this)
3. The hole should be drilled in the middle of the flat disk, between the outer edge and the opening itself."

Generally those "in line" tstats have an arrow pointing in the direction or water flow or some similar marking as to orientation but you may have to look hard.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excellent. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 pm 
LOST Member

For comparison purposes (I think this fits here):
For s stock thermostat seemingly in perfect working order.
Recent hot temps:
Peak Engine Coolant temp under load was 102 deg C during long hard hill.
A/C running at all times.
Load estimated at 1000 kg (laden weight of trailer).
Boost gauge showing 3 to 5 psi on the flat sections.
A slower grade of 1 km followed the steep section to a place where stopping was plausible.
Boost (gauge) consistently @ 15 psi on the steep hill section.
Boost gauge @ 7 psi on lesser section of grade.
Boost gauge at idle 0 psi.
Travel speed before was a consistent 80 km/hr - flat travel
At hilly sections: speed limit 60 km/hr
EGT (immediately before Turbo) 370 C.

[b]After idle for 1 minute:[/b]
Engine coolant temp 89 deg C
Idle 772 (with A/c running)
MAF g/s 17.0
Boost at idle 0 psi (per gauge)
...............................for Absolute Boost add 14.94 psi (<15 psi due to elevation).
Ambient (Recorded in the shade) 44 deg C
IAT (per engine sensor) 72 deg C
Air had low RH.
Idle EGT < 200 deg C

KEY / Unit conversions
60 km / hr = 37 mph
80 km / hr = 50 mph
1 000 kg = 2 200 lb
370 deg C = 700 deg F
102 deg C = 216 deg F
90 deg C = 194 deg F
72 deg C = 162 deg F
44 deg C = 111 deg F
IAT = Intake Air Temperature
72 deg C = 162 deg F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:34 am 
LOST Junkie

Don't drill a hole. Have tried it both ways. No hole keeps your temp more stable and have quicker heat at Idle.

Good luck
KJJET

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Getting fed up with these polar vortex invasions. Ordered two Stant 13519 thermostats off of Ebay today. Will install one as soon as they arrive and post results.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, installed my Stant today. As with others my temp quickly rises to half and stays there while driving. After idling for a few minutes it will drop down a hash mark below half. Today's weather was below freezing, sure was nice to have good hot cabin heat. Many thanks to whoever discovered this easy mod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nice. Much better than the OEM junk thermostat.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am in Airdrie AB, canada and we are having a colder winter than normal. My crd is getting pretty crappy mileage and temp is two clicks below midpoint all the time. Cab takes forever to heat up proper. I am going to do the inline tstat mod but have a few questions. When you install the new inline do you toss the factory tstat. Does anyone have a picture of where the factory tstat sits? Is there a better coolant than what on sale at napa?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

brando26 wrote:
thanks kjjet. Your response didnt really address the question though. I installed a stant thermostat in that pretty aluminum housing thingy that twists together. I need to know which side of the thermostat points into the oem thermostat housing. The flat spring side, or the pointed side.

If any one wants a Meziere tstat housing complete with the hose, so you do not have to cut your radiator hose? I also have a OE core if any one wants to make an offer on that as well? Shoot me an offer on either or both and I will ship it to you. I am going to stick with the OE stats. I recently replaced both of mine, Crown in the Sport and OE in the LTD. I will see which one lasts longer and let you all know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

nealio wrote:
I am in Airdrie AB, canada and we are having a colder winter than normal. My crd is getting pretty crappy mileage and temp is two clicks below midpoint all the time. Cab takes forever to heat up proper. I am going to do the inline tstat mod but have a few questions. When you install the new inline do you toss the factory tstat. Does anyone have a picture of where the factory tstat sits? Is there a better coolant than what on sale at napa?

The factory tstat is a complete housing that is sealed. If you follow the upper radiator hose back to the engine you will see the hose is clamped to it. You just leave the old tstat in place since it does not hold back coolant flow any more any ways. Just keep using the G05 HOAT antifreeze, nothing is better or proper for you CRD. I have heard the GM orange stuff can eat holes in certain metals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

To help out the next guy who is using this mod as the first exploration into his crd here's some helpful links:

Remove Black plastic engine cover
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/crd- ... er-190272/

Coolant draining/flush
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56486&hilit=citric/
BTW never did find anything in tech about a drain tool mentioned in earlier posts...

BTW this is actually the second mod. Eco tune was my first. Working my up. Window actuators and heated seats next. Then remove cat and redo exhaust...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Which direction do you put the pointy end of the Stant 13519, toward the radiator or toward the stock thermostat?

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Thinking about disabling my viscous heater along with installing the in-line thermostat. Is it best to just disconnect the plug at the viscous heater or pull its relay? Is the relay located in the relay center under the hood by the battery? If so, which # is it?

Thanks,

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next