It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thermostat Remove and Replace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeep Liberty CRD, Thermostat Remove and Replace

The thermostat should regulate the coolant temperature to 80C (176F). It is normal for temperatures to exceed this and go beyond center scale for hot weather driving, hills and towing.
Note that the indicated 89C (192F) mark is for the modified thermostat if you have one.

The engine should be cold for this procedure.
Turn the cabin heat on to full (engine not running).
Disconnect the battery.
Attach a 5/16 inch hose to the radiator drain cock. It is on the inside, passenger side, lower corner.
Feed the hose into a clean bucket; we will save the coolant.

The drain cock is plastic and easily damaged. The best way to crack it open is with a 10mm Allen wrench in its hollow head. There is little clearance so I sacrificed 2 cms off of the handle of a Allen wrench and used a open/box.
Drain the coolant out of the expansion tank and then open the expansion tank cap.
There is no need to drain out all of the coolant. Feel the coolant drain from upper radiator hose and then wait a little longer. Close the drain cock and remove the hose.

To get better access to the thermostat, we need to remove the engine air filter box.
Pull up the red tab, squeeze the black section and remove the plug to the Maf sensor.
Squeeze the plug to the inlet pressure sensor (you can see the catch tab lift at the front) and pull off.
Loosen the hose clamp to the air intake and unclip the lid to the airbox.
Remove lid and air filter element.

Remove the intake duct from the airbox. You may need to spin it 90°.

Get your hand under the air box and pop out the bottommost tab. Pop out the other 2 and remove air box.

Remove the engine cover.
Disconnect the cac inlet hose at the intercooler (8mm socket).
Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat.

Squeeze the black tab and pop off the electrical connection to the coolant temperature sensor at the back of the thermostat.
Remove the sensor with a 19mm deep socket.
Loosen the hose clamps and disconnect the two bypass hoses on the side of the thermostat housing. Completely remove the shorter hose to the viscous heater (left side, viewed from the front).
Also disconnect the hose on the right side of the viscous heater .
Remove the lower hose on the thermostat.
Remove the bracket at the top of the thermostat (10mm bolt and 8mm Allen).

Remove 3 10mm bolts securing the thermostat to the block. All 3 can be reached with a 2.5 inch socket extention on a 6 inch wobble end socket extention.
Remove the thermostat, scrape the gasket material off of the engine block and clean with acetone.

Lightly coat the new gasket (part #05066806AA, $2-$3) with high temperature grease (silicone or white lithium) to keep it from sticking again.
Bolt the thermostat housing to the engine block and torque the bolts to 20 ft-lbs (the longer of the 2 short bolts is used here). Replace the bracket and torque the bolt on top to 20 ft-lbs and the 8mm Allen bolt (to the viscous heater) to 25 ft-lbs.
This is the modified thermostat. The actual new thermostat part number is 05142601AA.

Reverse the remaining steps to complete the replacement.
Use a little grease (silcone or white lithium) on the hose fittings to aid in removing the hoses the next time.
Torque the coolant temperature sensor to 14 ft-lbs.

Follow the recommendations in the service manual to refill the coolant.

Last edited by Squeeto on Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Remove and Replace
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Excellent writeup. I've only 2 comments:
1. on removal of the 3 tstat bolts to the block Squeeto recommends using a wobble extension. I second and third that motion as a regular 3/8ths extension binds on that "hump" in the manifold below the lower back bolt making removal difficult and reinstall without cross threading even more difficult. If you don't have a wobble extension buy one or you can try a 1/4" extension and socket which may clear.
2. when I did mine I found the temp sensor wiring clip was upsidedown (e.g. the sensor was screwed in so the release clip was on the bottom) so I had to pull the tstat before I could get to the release clip. I did take care not the repeat that problem on the reinstall.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Great report! I will be doing my timing belt and thermostat replacement soon and noticed your modified thermostat with what appears to be a typical thermostat neck adapted to house a regular thermostat. Is that something you did yourself or is someone out there modifying them?

'05 CRD: GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, Surco Safari Rack, Hayden 2905 Heavy Duty Fan Clutch, OME 926/947 Springs/Shocks/Struts, Dynomax Exhaust, Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 Thermostat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am 
LOST Junkie

remwines wrote:
Great report! I will be doing my timing belt and thermostat replacement soon and noticed your modified thermostat with what appears to be a typical thermostat neck adapted to house a regular thermostat. Is that something you did yourself or is someone out there modifying them?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50940

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, I found that topic after I made the last post. I will be looking forward to him getting back into production after he settles in and gets set up. I didn't study all of his pictures and processes, but I have all the equipment to do what he has done. I would rather pay him for doing all of the R&D and labor, and not have to re-invent the thing. Looks like he did some nice work. For now I will just buy the replacement Crown thermostat. That way I will have a core to send him.

'05 CRD: GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, Surco Safari Rack, Hayden 2905 Heavy Duty Fan Clutch, OME 926/947 Springs/Shocks/Struts, Dynomax Exhaust, Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 Thermostat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 am 
LOST Member

It's detailed posts like these which make this community so great. Without them, owning these little little beasties would be...well...I wouldn't own one...never would have bought one, in fact.

Bravo!

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:23 am 
LOST Member

old thread but really usefull.
I have a brand new Crowns thermostat in its housing and 2 coolant hoses in my garage.
I will replace them during my soon to come 2 weeks break.

Thanks again for posting such write-up !!

Airtex lift pump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just replaced the Thermostat(in wife's Jeep) because the fix with the Stant 13519 didn't work on this Jeep. It has been working just fine with my other Jeep (the one that I drive) for over a year even in the extreme weather that we are having in the Midwest, sub zero temps. I will be testing it tomorrow. I also put it some tee's for the future of using WVO and Bio-diesel during the winter. I use Bio-diesel during the summer. I have a good source for Bio-diesel so I would like to use it during the winter also.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:48 am 
LOST Member

Hi,

very nice write-up, this is how i fixed it: http://www.jeep4fun.at/jeepforum/viewto ... =6&t=34707

works still fine... :wink:

bye,
samse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the write up. I used it to replace my thermostat Sunday January 26, 2014.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks as well. My temp is right at the mid-way point now. Like all repair jobs, I was on track for a quick finish but dropped the gasket "somewhere" while sliding the replacement T-stat in place. Took over an hour to find! This is why I usually take it to a pro!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Brilliant guide! Thanks very much. Replaced my thermostat today with a Crown replacement unit and my needle's now sitting exactly where it is in your guide!! :D :D

Cheers,
Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:19 pm 
LOST Member

Great guide, thanks. FYI if you are in a pinch the drain cock can be opened with a 17 mm wrench. Just recommend you are gentle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an older thread but I use a search button was wondering if this inline thermostat that was posted in the German site worthwhile looking into or should I spend three times the price and get the housing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

get the housing. There has been some discussion on inline tstats, and ppl wondering if it does more harm than good.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:32 pm 

4wheeldeal wrote:
I know this is an older thread but I use a search button was wondering if this inline thermostat that was posted in the German site worthwhile looking into or should I spend three times the price and get the housing?

Get the OEM thermostat; the jury is still out on the in-line thermostat, some are of the opinion that an in-line thermostat can cause a head gasket leak and / or a cracked head...
Without definitive proof either way at this point, an in-line unit is just really not worth the possible risks and consequences IMHO!!! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:59 am 
LOST Addict

Great write-up and great photos. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 am 
LOST Junkie

I have an electric fan kit to install. Should I do both at the same time?

I also have a webasto heater to install. Should I postpone the thermostat and / or electric fan until I am ready to install the Webasto?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:

I also have a webasto heater to install. Should I postpone the thermostat and / or electric fan until I am ready to install the Webasto?

I would install both the electric fan kit and the Webasto at the same time as the thermostat. At the very least, install the heater and coolant lines for the Webasto; you can wire up and do the fuel lines later, unless you are dropping the fuel tank at the same time to install a lift pump.

Try to do as little overall labour as possible, Jeffrey.... You more than anyone I am aware of knows what a P.I.T.A. a Liberty CRD can be.

Still love mine, though! :mrgreen:

Best regards,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:41 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:

I wired my fan into the existing A/C fan harness. I ended up buying a 2 speed fan like the stock unit and was able to control the high and low speeds straight from the ECU. We have the ability to adjust the fan activation based on coolant temps straight from the ECU and tuning. It allows you to bypass the whole 3rd party fan controller annoyance. I simply bought some GM weather proof harnesses from Carquest and cut the plug off the stock A/C fan and re-wired it onto the new fan.