It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mercedes glk 250 2.1 diesel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm considering this GLK 250 with the 2.1 diesel engine. Please post your thoughts. Thanks
wayne

Post subject: Re: mercedes glk 250 2.1 diesel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

x2...I am considering that for my next vehicle also. No time soon...I'm still enjoying my CRD at the moment. I would love to hear some feedback on the GLK as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 pm 
LOST Member

Nice car but I didn't like you can only tow 3,400 lb. Really why under rate it so much. It's got almost 400 lb of torque.

You only love it if you change it!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:12 pm 
LOST Member

This tow rating could be based on the unibody structure more than the drive train. The Liberty has heavy frame rails built into the unit body.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:59 pm 
LOST Member

Ugly vehicle since you asked me. Looks like a Subaru. :shock:

I haven't reviewed spec's but it does not appear designed to travel off any road less manicured than a dry, well maintained county dirt road. If I didn't desire off-road capability but more than occasionally had to deal with snow, then I'd probably look at getting a used E350 4matic (sedan or wagon depending on the interior size needed) in the same price range.

If I had to replace the CRD tomorrow with a Mercedes, I'd probably look at the ML350 with off-road package. Let's hope I don't have to replace the CRD tomorrow.

OME lift+JBA UCA's, custom front hitch receiver, Mile Marker winch
All J Products rear cargo shelf
Sips biodiesel as if it were 12 y/o Scotch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 am 
LOST Member

I remember building one of those and it getting close to $50k. I thought to myself "I'll just get a Touraeg TDI". I like the idea of the 2.1L. Maybe I'll have to drive one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just a reminder that building a vehicle and pricing it on the manufacture's Internet site is just like dropping by the dealer's lot after hours and checking out the list price sticker posted on a new vehicle's window. May or may not have any connection with the real selling price.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

$42,000 the way I priced it on the web site, so I figure I can get it for a little less than that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, price climbs FAST with any added options that you'd want. Not worth the money but the motor seems great with great power output. I would also get a Tuareg TDI as well.

-SunCoast CRD Converter
-2.5" straight pipe
-Rough Country 3" lift
-Cooper STT 245's

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 am 
LOST Member

I'll add my $.02 because I've been thinking about this vehicle for a while...

I've been looking at the GLK 250 ever since they were rumored to hit the American market to replace my CRD one day. I love my CRD, mainly because of it's size (and of course, it's diesel). Other pluses are it's 4x4 system. There are so few choices for a diesel-powered SUV and the CRD is certainly the most affordable. However, they are now getting close to a decade old and maintenance costs vs. new vehicle purchase/lease costs are going to come into the monthly cost equation soon-ish. Especially when it comes to a timing belt replacement.

The diesel SUV market is slowly expanding: there's the GLK and the Audi Q5 TDI, and then the X5 and the Toureg and Cherokee…and now the Cayenne. Oh, and an X3 that just got announced. The least expensive is the GLK and by the time you get a few items (like Keyless Go and backup beepers which I got used to on my wife's Volvo) things start to get in the mid 40's range, which still makes the Benz the least expensive choice. I was quoted in the low $50K's for a no frills Q5 TDI…lame. An oil-burning Cherokee is in the $60K's and, frankly, the MPG's ain't that great…but the towing is there, if that's high on your list of Important Things.

I've started to do some Benz shopping and it's a seller's market (here in CA) with the diesels…the best offer I got during Round 1 buying talks was about 8% off the MSRP (which is negated by our sales tax here). There is not a lot of excess inventory, so they can sell them for what they want. For the record, I love the GLK body style & think the Audi is boring--they all look like shiny tic-tacs that mated with a Previa and begat some sort of inflated Passat-esque nightmare of curvy boredom. But I digress...

I will say from my research on some of the Benz forums, people are getting some really amazing mileage of the the GLK's, so that goes into the Plus column. However, when I test drove the GLK, it didn't immediately make my heart melt like I wanted it to--it was peppy, tight, quiet and smelled good but I definitely missed the extra few inches of ride height I got in my CRD. I am very curious to see what the X3 feels like and what it's priced at. All beemers seem to have a little bit of secret va-va-voom sauce and I'd like to see how the X3 delivers on that promise. However, forget about four-wheeling in anything other than the Jeeps--google "Top Gear X3 test" and see what I mean. Put another check-mark in the Jeep column in that department.

Speaking of maintenance, Mercedes wants to sell you a pre-paid package for $1300 on top of the purchase price…even if it's leased. And what do you get? An oil change and an Ad Blue top-off at 10K miles. Unless the oil drain plug is so inaccessible that you need a $1000 tool to access it…whatever, I'm not even going there. I'd be surprised if I can't do it myself. And the Ad Blue the tank is where the spare tire should be in the aft storage area and you can buy it buy the gallon for $15 at any truck stop. No spare tire means run flats.

The last bit of interesting info worth covering is the soot issue that seems to be inherent to our EPA-approved vehicles. On the Benz forums I specifically asked about EGR deletes and CCV bypasses--i.e., are the necessary. The answer seems to be yes. A Benz ML350 CDI owner told me he pulled the intake manifold off at about 130K miles and it was choked with soot. I hoped that I wouldn't have to deal with this on a $70K car. I haven't looked at the schematic for the GLK250 engine, but I have a feeling you will have to deal with the same issues of blow-by from the CCV being blown into the intake manifold. t.

End of Rant Thoughts:

If you're at the point where you want a new diesel--the GLK might be the best bang for your buck…if you can afford it. The two year residual on that car is listed at $31,000…so maybe wait two years and see what the used market looks like…plus, once it's out of warranty, you can do all the things you need to in order to make it last another ten years: EGR delete, EHM, etc… I was offered a gasser GLK350 with the bells and whistles that I wanted for $369/mo (10K mile a year lease, $2000 down) and that strikes me as the magic number for a Mercedes, considering a RAV4 lease is, like, $320/mo.

Towing--others who could speak on this with more authority. Although it feels like they are aiming low on purpose.

In closing, for the money, the GLK250 is the only car that comes close to replacing the CRD as a daily driver if you are in the market for a new diesel. But the CRD is so unique with it's price point, 4x4 system and towing ability that I personally can't make a strong, fiscally sound argument to replace it…yet! :2cents:

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

We might be looking to replace the CRD next year. The GLK has my attention but there are a few issues. 1) stupid run flats - reckon one could be a spare in the rear of the vehicle? 2) Its a car not a truck - but it is for the wife so what ever makes her happen. 3) stupid hi-tech maintenance that is decidedly not DIY friendly. I do ALL the work on our vehicles, except trans rebuild. And no MB dealer within an hour of the house.

I feel deletes are mandatory for all diesels. Problem is the epa gestapo is out now so no one makes them. Have you across any euro source tuners that will delete egr (most important) or after treatment? I can live with after treatment but not egr.

'01 Dodge/Cummins - Work truck; Lots of mods

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:20 pm 
LOST Member

I almost... almost.... Traded my CRD in today for a GLK. I have to say the dealer was willing to work with me on the price. But there was something about it I couldn't do it. I don't know if it was the way it drove or what it was.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (purchased 10/30/12 w/ 52k miles) GDE HotTune & Eco TCU, Suncoast TC, Amsoil Full SAPS (EFM) 5w40, Amsoil ATF, 7" touchscreen Android powered stereo (direct from China) w/ 4G LTE mobile data for streaming Netflix, HBO GO, Slingbox, Pandora, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tinman wrote:
but it is for the wife so what ever makes her happen.

Love it. :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:12 am 
LOST Member

KD6ICZ wrote:
I almost... almost.... Traded my CRD in today for a GLK. I have to say the dealer was willing to work with me on the price. But there was something about it I couldn't do it. I don't know if it was the way it drove or what it was.

I'll tell you what it was for me--it just felt kinda…car-y. When I got back into my CRD to drive away from the dealership, I felt higher off the road, had better visibility, more confidence to drive over potholes (here in the city) or cruise the fire roads in the hills…in short, the CRD has that off-road DNA and the Merc doesn't. The 250's diesel tech is pretty sweet and the MPG numbers are great…but I still feel like my CRD has a lot to offer in pure utilitarianism.

I also don't like the run flats--I had a Mini with them and the ride is pretty stiff. I'd be curious to see/feel what a tire with fatter tread is like. Put a cargo cage on top to carry your 5th and you'd have a pretty bad-assed looking urban assault vehicle.

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

For you guys that want a diesel SUV, and aren't married to a catsup ( or is it ketchup? ) heiress. .. You might want to research the VW crossblue.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me