It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: up travel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

What are you guys with sas's running for up travel. I know from looking that most of you are running at least 7.5" of lift. I'm wondering if that is so you can run a lot of up travel or if that is how high you have to go to get 4" of up travel.

Post subject: Re: up travel
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I get about 7"-7.5" of up travel and about 8"-8.5" of down travel in the front(limited by straps).I get about the same up travel in the rear and about 1"-2" more down travel in the rear.I am not using coilovers and using full with axles at about 9" of lift and 35" tires.

Reason for the high lift is to fit everything underneath the front as the KJ was never designed for a SFA like a XJ,ZJ,or WJ.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

The reason I ask is because in my Comanche I have maybe 5 inches of up travel and it does just fine. My question is more why set it up so high. You can wheel it just fine with 4-5 inches of up travel and keep the ride height lower.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

blackdiamond wrote:
The reason I ask is because in my Comanche I have maybe 5 inches of up travel and it does just fine. My question is more why set it up so high. You can wheel it just fine with 4-5 inches of up travel and keep the ride height lower.

The Comanche is designed for a solid axle,the KJ is not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Difference in oil pans and the room you have to work with under a KJ, lots of difference from a Cherokee/ Comanche

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

i know the comanche is vastly different than the liberty as i have both, the comanche was only brought up for comparison of up travel. it could be anything. you said you were running 7 inches of up travel. why not lower it down to 4 or even 5? you dont need that much unless your running baja or planning on jumping. 4 inches is plenty of up travel for most wheeling situations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

blackdiamond wrote:
i know the comanche is vastly different than the liberty as i have both, the comanche was only brought up for comparison of up travel. it could be anything. you said you were running 7 inches of up travel. why not lower it down to 4 or even 5? you dont need that much unless your running baja or planning on jumping. 4 inches is plenty of up travel for most wheeling situations.

Front control arms(upper arms and axle brackets) will hit the exhaust and motor mounts.Then the trackbar will also hit the unibody.Will bottom out on the smallest pebble on the road.Flexing is not a issue but ride height and normal everyday driving you need clearance on both sides just not in a up travel/down travel aspect when flexing on rocks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

My Liberty is set to 2.5" of up in the front and 3" of up in the back Everything else down, 14" front coilover and a 12" travel rear Smoothbody the back has a strap through the center of the coil so it can't fall out + weld on coil retainers. It sits Low 6-6.5" of lift and it's on 35's.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

see thats what i'm talking about. is there room to stuff the axle up under there and keep it low. from what i have seen with the UA liberty build there is a pocket for the axle to slide up into and still keep it low. any pictures of you axle stuffed?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:54 pm 

blackdiamond wrote:
see thats what i'm talking about. is there room to stuff the axle up under there and keep it low. from what i have seen with the UA liberty build there is a pocket for the axle to slide up into and still keep it low. any pictures of you axle stuffed?

What you have to remember on the BDS build was they pretty much cut everything out and built a complete tube chassis in front tied into a whole tube structure throughout the KJ. Its pretty much a tube buggy with the KJ body now . I was there on the last build day and had the opportunity to check it out first hand and help some on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Man I still love that rig, SICK! I bet they have over 60k in that thing.